Thread: Stuttering/Stalling Problem

Default Stuttering/Stalling Problem

Well this hasnt been my week. Today while going into work, the car sputtered while I was about to turn into the parking lot. As I waited for a clear left turn, no problems. As I drove through the parking lot, it continued to sputter. I had to ride the clutch and blip the throttle to keep it running and make it to the back of the building. After I pulled into a spot, I popped the hood and got out. As I was looking at the engine, the car just quick. Like RIGHT now. No sputtering, just off. I looked around some more for blown fuses, chafed wires, unplugged sensors, low coolant. Nothing. I tried to start the car and it would turn over, but wouldnt start. It would sound really rough. I had to go into work, so I left it. I went back out 15-20 minutes later and tried to start it. It rumbled like before for a few seconds, then came to life. It idled high for about thirty seconds, then went to normal. I shut it off and headed into work, atleast knowing it wasnt dead. Tonight I left work, it started on the first try and ran normal all the way home.

My thoughts: Fuel filter, I have 80K miles on my 99, and it hasnt been changed. So I sent my parts runner to get one at O'reilys before they closed. It is a WIX, would anyone recommend going OEM over this one?

The only specific thing that I can see that is different from other days, it was HOT today, and I let the car idle for maybe 10 minutes while I finished getting ready for work, so the A/C was cold. I drove for maybe 5-10 minutes at slow highway speeds, then idled for another 10 minutes at a drive thru. I then drove maybe 1 minute down the street to work. All this time, no problems, then like I said just as I turned into work, bam. Could the coil pack or anything else be affected by heat? I have driven the car in 4 summers before this, with no problems. Coolant temp was fine, oil pressure was fine. Any other thoughts? Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long read.

I think the fuel filter is a good spot to start. If it was the coil, it should start throwing codes, possibly bad gas?

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Could it be another dead/dying alternator? I've been thinking about changing my fuel filter if you want to do another one!

Have you washed the engine lately? If so, check for moisture in the spark plug holes.

I do have a solid check engine light, because of the exhaust. I planned to fix that today. :ncool: It however did not blink, and I have heard coils do that. I did not have a low battery light, and the lights were not dim, plus the car did not stop wanting to turn over. So I dont think it is the alternator. I have also not washed the engine bay anytime recently. Thanks for the thoughts. Sammm, Id be more than willing to supervise, but the thought of fuel burning my armpit twice doesnt sound fun.

Edit: I did get this tank from a station I never visit. But that was Friday, would bad gas take that long to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Sammm, Id be more than willing to supervise, but the thought of fuel burning my armpit twice doesnt sound fun.

... and what are these things that I keep hearing about called vise grips?

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    ... and what are these things that I keep hearing about called vise grips?
    YES.... USE VISE GRIPS. The Golf tee method does not work. Ask my armpits how I know. :mad:

On a side note, anyone want a great deal on a bag of 498 Golf tees?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sammm, Id be more than willing to supervise, but the thought of fuel burning my armpit twice doesnt sound fun.
    So you already changed your filter?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    So you already changed your filter?
    Yeah, got it done, all told installing it, the reinstalling it because I did it backwards, and flushing gas out of my eye took around an hour. Not too bad. I am going to go get my exhaust fixed today, so if I get a check engine light I can see it. The car runs fine, although it ran fine last night after the incident also. What do you guys think about a fuel pump? Would it quit, then run again? I sort of figured if it died, it was dead. Maybe I should stock one anyway huh? So lets see, alternator, fuel pump, oil filters. I am going to start a mazda parts dealer...

Oh the good news is, my arms arent burning anymore, and I am now good ad using the "quick" release clips.

I didnt use vice grips though, the fuel lines seemed hard, and I didnt want to crack one...

Would the clutch safety switch or a bad ignition switch cause the ignition to cut in and out causing a stutter? I remember you saying you thought you had a clutch safety switch going south.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Oh the good news is, my arms arent burning anymore, and I am now good ad using the "quick" release clips.
    Explain 'quick release clips'.

maybe read as 'quick release clamps.'

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Would the clutch safety switch or a bad ignition switch cause the ignition to cut in and out causing a stutter? I remember you saying you thought you had a clutch safety switch going south.
    I thought about that too. I dont know if it would cause a problem. Tailchaser, to bypass the clutch switch, just put a wire with male blade connectors between the ground and positive on the car side of the connector? I would assume that this clutch problem would only affect starting.

A plastic clip the goes over the fuel filter "nipple" The fuel line snaps into this clip. That holds it onto the fuel filter. It is plastic and similar to an electrical connector where you have to push in tabs on each side to get the connector out. Pointy board has a ton of info on these. Before you do it, get some from the dealer. I got some from O'reily this morning, and the were too big. I got chevy style 3/8" I dont know if different sizes are available. I was just careful with mine, and reused the originals.

Ok, well the car ran all day today. The only thing I noticed, two out of maybe 6-8 starts today, it took maybe 4 seconds of turning over to fire. Most of the time it takes around 2 seconds. Fuel pump going south and not priming right? Or a new fuel filter just acting different?