Thread: State Govn'rs: "The public must get the message that speeding will not be tolerated."

Default State Govn'rs: "The public must get the message that speeding will not be tolerated."

:monkey:

Most States Give Speeders 10 MPH Cushion
    Monday, June 13, 2005

WASHINGTON — Authorities patrolling U.S. highways tend to give motorists a cushion of up to 10 miles per hour above the speed limit before pulling them over, says a survey by a group of state traffic safety officials.

This practice creates an unsafe comfort level at high speeds and is a potential safety hazard, according to the report being released Monday by the Governors Highway Safety Association (search). The group found that 42 states allow drivers to regularly exceed the speed limit before they are stopped.

"This cushion truly exists across this country and in some cases is more than 10 mph above posted limits," said Jim Champagne, the association's chairman.

"Law enforcement needs to be given the political will to enforce speed limits and the public must get the message that speeding will not be tolerated," said Champagne, who also is executive director of the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission.

Since 1994, 38 states have increased their speed limit, the report said. Congress in 1995 allowed states to raise limits above 55 mph in urban areas and 65 mph on rural roads.

A study released in 1999 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (search) estimated an increase in deaths on interstates and freeways of about 15 percent in the 24 states that had raised their speed limit in late 1995 and 1996.

Be careful out there.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Be careful out there.
    Thankfully, none of us ever go over the posted speed limit...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

A study released in 1999 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (search) estimated an increase in deaths on interstates and freeways of about 15 percent in the 24 states that had raised their speed limit in late 1995 and 1996.

I am thinking this is BS...I remember a study a couple years back where they found that the higher speed limits had no effect on the accident rate.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I am thinking this is BS...I remember a study a couple years back where they found that the higher speed limits had no effect on the accident rate.
    Note that the quoted text indicates in increase in deaths, not the death rate. Definitely BS.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'm with TC on this one - when more people drive more miles, more people are going to die. It's that simple... although apparently it's beyond the grasp of your average state governor.

However, a quick search on google pulled up this little tidbit concerning the death rate in 2004 on US highways per 100 million vehicle miles:

Nationally, the key measure of the death rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled fell to 1.46 from 1.48. It's the lowest level since NHTSA began tracking data nearly four decades ago. Seat-belt use reached an all-time high - 80 percent - last year. But 56 percent of the people killed in vehicles last year were not wearing seat belts.
    This is a more quantifiable measure of each individual's potential to be killed on the highway, as it breaks down the rate of deaths per 100 million vehilce miles driven. In other words, when the death rate is tied to a fixed measurement (per 100 million vehicle miles), the death rate is actually decreasing, and is at it's lowest level in the last four decades. When it's tied to a variable - and increasing - measurement (total miles driven by all of the drivers in the country over the course of a calendar year), of course it's going to increase every year, because every year we have more drivers driving more miles.

What a bunch of idiots. I guess it's like my father always said: "If you can't find anything useful to do in life, you can always go into politics."
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

As a matter of clarification: my "be careful out there" meant "be careful and try not to get a speeding ticket."

S.

Yep - sounds to me like our "benevolent leaders" are going to use this tortured metric to justify a crackdown on speeding... which in turn will help to shore up their state deficits.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I never speed, anywhere
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

^ I usually keep it at 10 over (when im paying attention) if the roads open. I guess ill have to drop it down a bit, & really watch it. Although I strongly doubt this will solve the real problem...Big ass Explorers & Escalades hurling through 55mph traffic at 75 - 80, & stupid ass ricers.

When I used to work nights, I swear I used to see more big SUVs on 'dubs' racing each other through traffic than civics & accords. Then in the morning its the soccer moms that spent too much time in the line at starbucks & are late for work.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

i get alot of dumb rednecks in trucks going like 85 in doolies. plenty of that up here, and some even try to race somtimes. and the salute was sarcastic, i stay about 5 over most of the time
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

These people are truly fruitcakes...
    Majority of motor vehicle deaths come from intersection collisions, not speeding. I worked a federally funded program back during the 55 mph debacle, and there were reams of papers submitted during that time regarding deaths due to speeding. There was NO difference between the earlier 70 mph open highway death rate, and the mandated 55, even after five years. These g'vnors would be trying to fire me, since my tolearance was 15 mph over, even when working the fed funded programs...

Ocasionally, I find it necessary to drive in to Grapevine during early morning traffic. What amazes me is the number of cars passing me on 170 and 114 between 35W and Grapevine. I'm already running a good ten over myself, and find myself being passed, mostly by "women," most often black women, obviously running ten or more faster than me. In the 40MPH construction zone, I do slow down to the required 40 cuz I've seen too many people pulled over in that area...Hell, these "women" don't even touch the brake, and weave in and out of those who do slow down a bit, and keep on truckin.' I have yet to see one pulled over...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

I try to keep it at the speed limit or 5 over in the middle lane but sometimes the flow of traffic dictates a higher speed. In otherwords, I don't hold up traffic. However, if I'm going to slow for ya, there's a lane on your left to pass me.

In the roadster I'm more apt to push the limits. Especially on back roads.

This sucks though because we'll see more tickets being handed out but I doubt it will do much in slowing anyone down.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    That is BS, I recently took defensive driving for undisclosed reasons and one of the up to date facts mentioned is that something like 75-85% of traffic fatalities occur below the speed of 45 mph. (can't remember the exact percent but it is at lest 70)
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by OzCop
    .Hell, these "women" don't even touch the brake, and weave in and out of those who do slow down a bit, and keep on truckin.' I have yet to see one pulled over...
    Tell me about it, and you'd probably be the one to get pulled over cuz you drive a sports car. I could rant all night about the 20 some odd tickets I've had dismissed for stupid reasons, like my first ticket in Austin...being passed by SUV and minivan and I get pulled over for speeding! Kinda funny how I went from 98-03 with no tickets ever. Then I get a Camaro then 2 Miatas and now I am getting my license suspended for 90 days. A little ridiculous when I get 4 tickets within 7 months of owning my first sports car. I honestly don't drive any different than when I had my dad's truck, actually better/slower since I'm so paranoid of being pulled over. It's to the point where I take my parents car whenever possible when out after 9pm.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

I drive white all of the time on the street and I've been pulled over at least a dozen times. They usally pull me over because of some bs story. I think they just want to make sure that the car is taged, inspected and insured.

Driving a sports car with racing stickers and numbers is kindof a target to get pulled over though.

pic of white for whose that have not see er.

http://a-wardsurveying.com/a-wardsur.../img/white.jpg
    Last edited by Ataim; 06-15-2005 at 10:50 AM.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Linkie no workie.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

haha nice ^

on another note, i did a research paper on the effect that travelling above the posted limit has on accidents, well my findings were that statistically, a driver will be paying more attention while travelling 5-10 mph over the speed limit, than when travelling at the limit. the reason being that drivers not being challenged can zone out and not have a fast enough reaction time to avoid road debris or impeading dangers. I also found that the smog output between 55 and 70 was virtually the same, as you do pollute more, but the time you pollute is less, so, it evens out.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    haha nice ^

on another note, i did a research paper on the effect that travelling above the posted limit has on accidents, well my findings were that statistically, a driver will be paying more attention while travelling 5-10 mph over the speed limit, than when travelling at the limit. the reason being that drivers not being challenged can zone out and not have a fast enough reaction time to avoid road debris or impeading dangers. I also found that the smog output between 55 and 70 was virtually the same, as you do pollute more, but the time you pollute is less, so, it evens out.
    Yah, and many cars get better gas mileage at higher speeds (to a certian point of course). I found it interesting that my friend's 500hp Vette gets ~22mpg at 110mph compared to ~17mpg at 70mph.