Thread: Laps for Charity - September 10th

Chassis Designer

Default Laps for Charity - September 10th

Laps For Charity II is scheduled for Saturday, September 10th at TMS. $25 gets you three laps on the quad oval. The funds go to TMS Children's Charities.

LSMC is meeting up at What A Burger in Roanoke at 6:00 PM. We'll drive over from there. We'll probably have a reserved time on the track for Miatas only. Check the events section of lonestarmiata.net later in the week for details. All Miataphiles are invited to come along with us. Membership in the club is not a requirement for this outing.
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    Membership in the club is not a requirement for this outing.

Not to be a naysayer, but is this confirmed? Last year, I was on an outing with the same clause but then pressed for "membership" fees.

Besides that, though, it does sound like fun!

Hey Bill Preston,

At the last one, I took an ex-student's little brother with me. He loves nascar and had never been in a convertible or on the track. He couldn't believe we hit 100mph.

I ran into a sweet couple from LSMC,(white 2004) we chatted awhile and when they left they went and paid another $25 so i could take this kid around again. His face lit up like an xmas tree. He had lost his father less than a year before and as we got on the track, he looked up at the sky and said "Thanks Dad". I never did find their address to send them a thank you and the rest of the story, as they didn't know about his dad.

It is worth the $25, it's a quick thrill but it's fun and worth while.

I'll be there if I'm not at Hallett.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Too bad, some of us will be at Topeka for the Solo II Nationals...I have to be there on the 8th...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

If I have a miata by then Ill do it.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Thats a sad but great story Sharpie, what a cool thing.
    99 Miata Black

I have a dim recollection of this sort of thing offered last year. It turned out to be paced laps where you couldn't exceed a certain speed.

If they'll actually let you run flat out around the oval, then it will be a very good thing indeed.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

IIRC the last one had a speed limit. Billccsi - do you know? Still, all-in-all, it would be more fun than buying lottery tickets for the Harley they used to offer never did have any idea what I'd do with it if I won it.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I've gone out there twice (9 laps). It's awesome fun, yes there are several "pace" (about 65-70mph)trucks, but the "field" gets spread out. I just went slow down the back straight and then nailed it in the corners. I easily hit a 100. Now with the turbo it would be very difficult to stay off the rear bumper of the slow pokes in front of me.

Last time there was a school bus that paid to drive around. They stayed on the apron in the turns.

It's for a good cause, and not something you get to experience in daily driving. The banking is just nuts.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Engine Builder

is there going to be a place at ther track that we can meet? What A Burger in Roanoke is not that close for me. the track is closer. I would like to meet there. mabey in a lot before going out on the track?

Engine Builder

This is so much fun and for a good cause everyone should go!!! PLEASE dont make me rum with the dodges. they pick on our small cars.