Thread: Ebay Advice

Default Ebay Advice

I have a question for you ebay gurus. I am selling an old oil pan from and eclipse. I found it in the storage unit, and I dont remember how much I paid for it. The auction is here. Someone asked if I would end the auction early at $60 shipped. I think I am going to say no, becuase he wants me to ship it to Canada. That could cost a bunch huh? From what I have found junk yards have used examples for $100 or so. I would like to see that. Also miata oil pans are $180 from Mazda speed. Any clue on what this is worth, and if I should end it early? When do I have to decide to end it early by? Before the first bid? Thanks.

Well, if your potential buyer wants a shipped price to Canada, he or she obviously can't read too well. Your auction clearly states that you ship to the US (not Canada) and that buyer pays shipping. $60 shipped would be a steal for the person, but, depending on how you deal with the border issues, would likely be a decent loss on your end.
    Do you care how much you get out of the deal, or do you just want the pan & gasket outta there?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I dont really care how much I make, since I bought the pan and gasket five or six years ago. Hell Ive had the Miata 4 years. So it has to be that long. I cant remember what I spent. So it is sort of like free money. However, I dont want to go for the first bite, and not make what I could. I guess you can say Ill take what I can get, but if that can be more Ill take that instead.

Ya still got a ton of time (5 days 19 hours) tell him you'll think about it and see how it goes on E-Bay!

I wouldn't ship to Canada unless you're looking for a potential customs problems... my wife is a huge eBay'er and won't ship to the Canucks unless it's really a benefit financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I wouldn't ship to Canada unless you're looking for a potential customs problems... my wife is a huge eBay'er and won't ship to the Canucks unless it's really a benefit financially.
    Good advice, so if he were to win I would just show him and ebay that I am not going to ship to Canada and relist it?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Good advice, so if he were to win I would just show him and ebay that I am not going to ship to Canada and relist it?
    Doesn't your auction already state your only shipping in the US?

Ships to: United States

You may be able to simply invalidate his bid without having to re-listing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    You may be able to simply invalidate his bid without having to re-listing it.
    Exactly. Even he's a primarily French speaking Canuck he should be able to see that you'll only ship to the upper 48, Hawaii, and Alaska.

I've NEVER had problems shipping to Canadastan... I do it quite often.

You just put the Customs forms on the box with the CORRECT dollar amount filled out and the recipient pays the taxes, not you.

I say correct dollar amount because a lot of buyers want you to list it as a $5 item so they can avoid paying taxes. But if you put a printout of the auction in with the item, it kinda looks funny when the inspectors compare amounts.

Anyway... It's cake.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    I've NEVER had problems shipping to Canadastan... I do it quite often.

You just put the Customs forms on the box with the CORRECT dollar amount filled out and the recipient pays the taxes, not you.

I say correct dollar amount because a lot of buyers want you to list it as a $5 item so they can avoid paying taxes. But if you put a printout of the auction in with the item, it kinda looks funny when the inspectors compare amounts.

Anyway... It's cake.

RJ
    Excellent advice! I've sent lots of things to Canada and all the extra costs are the recipient's responsibility.