Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine teardown results

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Unfortunately, all of the potential solutions to this problem - baffling the pan, modifying the windage tray, converting to dry sump or adding an accusump - are all illegal in Stock.
    Not that I promote cheating but how would they know if you did that? Since it doesn't give a power advantage, I say do it anyways. All its going to do is save you money by preventing this from happening again.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Not that I promote cheating but how would they know if you did that? Since it doesn't give a power advantage, I say do it anyways. All its going to do is save you money by preventing this from happening again.
    I think Iian has spoken of going to nationals this year, and on a regional level, he would be fine, but on a national level, or even divisional, he would be protested.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    I think Iian has spoken of going to nationals this year, and on a regional level, he would be fine, but on a national level, or even divisional, he would be protested.
    Oh, well then. But still, something like an oil pan baffle is not going to be checked and I at least wouldn't feel guilty for breaking the rules since it offers no competition advantage exept that it will keep him from having to rebuld the motor as soon. I don't like this rule. I understand its stock class, but you think they would let some minor safety mods to be done to protect your car...they allow safety mods to protect the driver so why not. Just my
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Not that I have been to nationals, but from what I hear they will check. Especially if it was mentioned on a forum where alot of autoXers tend to visit. But it is nice to know you would do it because you couldnt get caught anyway. THe point is that it is stock class and you cant do it. You need to understand that these people are crazy. If they are allowed something, they will turn it into a performance advantage. Shocks are allowed because that is a commonly worn out and replaced part. So stock autoXers replace shocks on their miata that are 2 grand a set custom valved blah blah blah. They dont play around. I think Altiain mentioned running with a little more oil, that is within the rules and can also protect your engine.

While I understand where you're coming from icepenguin, I have no intentions of going down that road at all. Already in speaking with my engine builder he's mentioned a couple of potentially undetectable - but illegal - tricks that could net me a few ponies. While I'm intruigued from an engineering point of view, I'm not interested.

Here's the way I look at it - I do this because I enjoy competition. I want to win because I'm the best driver, not because I cheated and didn't get caught. If - and this is a big if - I were to perform well at the National level with an illegal car, that would always be in the back of my mind, and it would forever taint the victory in my memory.

I'm sure there are other people out there cheating. They have their consciences to live with. I have mine, and I intend it to be clear.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Off topic for just a second, but are you going to have to take off your TD splitter and put in some baby teeth?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Off topic for just a second, but are you going to have to take off your TD splitter and put in some baby teeth?

What about your hitch? Are you considering pulling it while out there to save weight, or is it too difficult to take on and off at an event?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    MadMerv what oil weight and brand do you run in your cars??
    In the past, I always ran 30W RedLine RACING oil in the race car(all the racing oils are single viscosity), but am going to try Royal Purple in the new one. I believe in straight, single weight oil, as it is more stable. I changed oil every 2-3 hours of track time.

The street Miatas are typically using Castrol Syntec 10W30. Have tried 5W30, but seem to get some lifter pump down in the 94 with it, when hot. Have also used Mobile One, occassionally, 'cause it is a bit cheaper. I change it every 4000 miles.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I still question the "oil starvation" problem, with only two journals being effected. I would suggest that John check the clearences on all journals. My bet is that 2 & 4 are a couple of thousands looser than the rest. How do the main bearings look? I would sure like to see some pictures.......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I don't think the oil type makes any real difference. The viscosity could influence the HP number. You confessed to low oil level and low indicated pressure.

I suspect that is the reason. As far as Mervs thought about more than one bearing I might offer a possible idea. What about over revs or riding the rev limiter. (which we all do at S2000 events)

Chevrolet tells Z06 owners in their video, to over fill the oil for track days and autocross events. Think they said between 1/2 and 1 quart. If you run an F-body at MSR you better over fill or I hear you will be walking home.

The splitter comes off for all major events, and I'm thinking about buying a new OEM front airdam and removing the splitter for good.

The car has had baby teeth for almost two years now. I put them back in for the '04 Houston Tour and left them in.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    What about your hitch? Are you considering pulling it while out there to save weight, or is it too difficult to take on and off at an event?
    So far I've left the hitch in. It weighs between 10-15 pounds, but I'm too lazy to take it out, especially since I have to tow a trailer to events.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So far I've left the hitch in. It weighs between 10-15 pounds, but I'm too lazy to take it out, especially since I have to tow a trailer to events.
    The tow hooks you remove when you install a hitch also help offset the weight.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Can ya quit on the tread drift, I'd like to learn more about this motor project!

Try using this button it will not kill ya.......

Me personally, I have never been impressed by Mobil 1 due to engine results of two Identical engines. One with Mobil 1 and one with Pensoil. The The Pensoil outlasted the Mobil 1 engine used in basically the same exact driving methods.

If all the independent testing is really true, I am leaning toward using Amsoil over the other motor oils.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

What are you talking about? It is not necessary to remove anything from an NB to install a trailer hitch.
    Iain

I'd tell ya, but POS will give me a spanking.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I'd tell ya, but POS will give me a spanking.
    Damn straight!

Come on Sparky lets see you put up a new post of your own or are you a !

So Altiain, was the only damamge in the engine on the 2 & 4 journals?? What was the condition of the rest of the engine??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Come on Sparky lets see you put up a new post of your own or are you a !
    Done:

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...8312#post58312
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

About time!

Now who wants to go first on the correct definition of "W" grades?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast