Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Would someone like to explain to the nooB what this all means?
    NooB... New B... New Boy/Blood...

Person who hasn't done something before, as in "I'm a NooB to the world of Accordions"

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel

Person who hasn't done something before, as in "I'm a NooB to the world of Accordions"
    Is English your first langauage?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the translation cheese-cake! BTW, the correct Merriam-Webster spelling is newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser

Is English your first langauage?
    Do you REALLY need to ask!

Thanks for the translation cheese-cake! BTW, the correct Merriam-Webster spelling is newbie.
    Bitte sehr, und Entschuldigung. Ich lese falsch Ihren Posten zu sagen "würde jemand erklärt welcher nooB definiert". Mein Fehler...

So Schieße mich, billig Scheißkerl! Was sagt Ihr Merriam-Webster um das? :P

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Bitte sehr, und Entschuldigung. Ich lese falsch Ihren Posten zu sagen "würde jemand erklärt welcher nooB definiert". Mein Fehler...

So Schieße mich, billig Scheißkerl! Was sagt Ihr Merriam-Webster um das? :P
    Allow me to translate:
    Ask much, and apology. I read wrongly your post to say "someone avowedly which nooB was defined". My error... Thus shoot me cheap, shitting chap! What says your Merriam Webster around that?

Hmmm... What's the best thing to use to get Dr. Pepper off your monitor?

Allow me to translate:

Ask much, and apology. I read wrongly your post to say "someone avowedly which nooB was defined". My error... Thus shoot me cheap, shitting chap! What says your Merriam Webster around that?
    Ah, no... not exactly. Allow me:

"You're welcome and I apologize. I misread your post to say "would someone explain what nooB means". My mistake . So shoot me "Cheap Bastard"! What does your Mirriam-Webster say about that? " :P

I was just poking fun at my mistake, and responding in a language other than English (another attempt at humor based on tailchaser's observation that English might not be a language I'm familiar with). It was a joke, not an attack. No hard feelings... it was my mistake. In the future, I promise (1) not to try to define nooB [particularly when nobody asked me to in the first place], and (2) post anything in German .

And as long as that Dr. Pepper didn't get under the keys of your keyboard, a towel and some warm water ought to get that DP off of your monitor

So how does babelfish (or whatever translator you used) get "sitting chap" out of "cheap bastard"? I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that...

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    So how does babelfish (or whatever translator you used) get "sitting chap" out of "cheap bastard"? I'll bet there's an interesting story behind that...

Iain
    Ummm... if you read carefully, I don't think the chap in question was sitting...

Iain
    Ummm... if you read carefully, I don't think the chap in question was sitting...
    Whoops, missed the spelling of that word.

[Moderator hat on]
    Please watch your language in the forum. I'm not going to delete anyone's posts (unless they get really out of hand), but the idea is to keep this place reasonably free of profanity. Thank you.
    [/Moderator hat off]

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

YOU GUYS HAVE WAY TOO MUCH FREE TIME ON YOUR HANDS

Iain
    Babelfish -- like nearly all translation software -- translates words literally. "Scheiß" (or more correctly Scheißen) would translate directly to "sh***ing". "Kerl" is "chap" or "bloke". Combine them and you get "sh***ing chap"... but in this case the sum of the two parts is not equal to the whole! I was just playing off sammm's self-proclaimed moniker.

BTW, that's why you have to be careful in German (probably other languages as well). Scheißen means "sh***ing"... not a particularly nice word. Schießen, on the other hand just means "shooting" (as in to shoot a gun). Now that you know what to look for, you can actually see that in my German post when I wrote "So Schieße mich, billig Scheißkerl"... meaning "so shoot me, Cheap Bastard" (you'd have to mis-translate that Scheißkerl).

TMI, I know...

I'll take your word for it. My german's a lil rusty.

Chris

Iain
    Babelfish -- like nearly all translation software -- translates words literally. "Scheiß" (or more correctly Scheißen) would translate directly to "sh***ing". "Kerl" is "chap" or "bloke". Combine them and you get "sh***ing chap"... but in this case the sum of the two parts is not equal to the whole! I was just playing off sammm's self-proclaimed moniker.

BTW, that's why you have to be careful in German (probably other languages as well). Scheißen means "sh***ing"... not a particularly nice word. Schießen, on the other hand just means "shooting" (as in to shoot a gun). Now that you know what to look for, you can actually see that in my German post when I wrote "So Schieße mich, billig Scheißkerl"... meaning "so shoot me, Cheap Bastard" (you'd have to mis-translate that Scheißkerl).

TMI, I know...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Gee - I thought the Babelfish became extinct when Douglas Adams died.

Do I need to find one to listen to OOOMPah music?

I thought Babelfish sounded familiar.

So whats the meaning of life? (just adding to thread drift)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Gee - I thought the Babelfish became extinct when Douglas Adams died.

Do I need to find one to listen to OOOMPah music?

Actually, I think it's "What's the answer to life, the universe, and everything?" The answer is 42. The problem is, what's the question? :P

BTW, anyone ever noticed what tailchaser's number is? I did last weekend.

Iain
    Iain

Took ya long enough...

Took ya long enough...
    #1?
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I think I had to ask last year, and then have it explained. Talk about feeling :ncool:

Miatamaniac92 - he is #42

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast