Thread: Saab 9-2X Earns "Gold Top Safety Pick" Award

Default Saab 9-2X Earns "Gold Top Safety Pick" Award

Looks like we didn't pick too badly when we bought the Missus her Saab.

Among small cars the Subaru Impreza, the closely-related Saab 9-2X and the Honda Civic were the best-performing small cars. Those cars also earned "Gold Top Safety Pick" awards.

The Toyota Prius gas/electric hybrid vehicle was also tested and, when equipped with optional side airbags, got top marks for front and side impact protection. Without side airbags, however, its side impact protection was "Poor," the Institute said.

In its side impact test, the Insurance Institute hits the vehicle with a barrier that resembles the front of a sport utility vehicle or pick-up truck. That type of impact represents a much graver risk of head injury, and therefore a greater risk of death, than an impact from a car. Vehicles without head-protecting side airbags generally perform poorly in the Institute's side impact test.

Now here's hoping we never have to personally verify those results! It is interesting, though, the Impreza/Saab beat out more recent designs like the Mazda 3 and current Corolla.

S.

Wasn't this the same report that gave a top rating to the Kia Sodona as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Wasn't this the same report that gave a top rating to the Kia Sodona as well?
    It was, but remember: that's the new 2007 Sedona. The IIHS is the most respected of the crash testing organizations. The new 3-Series and Lexus IS are top Midsize picks.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    It was, but remember: that's the new 2007 Sedona. The IIHS is the most respected of the crash testing organizations. The new 3-Series and Lexus IS are top Midsize picks.

S.
    I just don't think I could have ever imagined using Kia and safest in the same sentence. Everyone keeps saying that Korean cars are improving as fast as Japanese cars once did... I guess they are right.

On a side note, your Avatar is giving me a headache!

Question : Isn't the Saab just a Subaru in Saab drag? Kind of like a modern era Cadillac Cimarron.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Question : Isn't the Saab just a Subaru in Saab drag? Kind of like a modern era Cadillac Cimarron.
    Or a modern era Porsche Cayenne? Yes. But Subaru wouldn't give me the GM employee discount. And the Saab is much better looking. And has a better warranty. And a better suspension. And more sound deadening. And lower insurance premiums.

Question: your wife has to buy a GM product because otherwise you'll insult your father in law, who is an engineer there. What do you buy? Something that was engineered by Subaru or something that was engineered by GM?

S.

Question: your wife has to buy a GM product because otherwise you'll insult your father in law, who is an engineer there. What do you buy? Something that was engineered by Subaru or something that was engineered by GM?

S.
    A Toyota!

I would think a Corvette would keep everyone happy.

I would think a Corvette would keep everyone happy.
    Touche! I'll have to remember that next time.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    A Toyota!
    I take it you don't like your father in law?

S.

I take it you don't like your father in law?

S.
    My father in law worked for Motorola.

My Grandfather Harrison worked for GM, we had a lot of GM stuff. But now there is only one GM product in the entire Harrison fleet, and it's a 39 year old Cadillac that belonged to my other Grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hey Titus, does this mean you'll be buying us all Corvettes (and by that I mean the real thing, not the $1 Hot Wheels...)
    Sorry... Matt is the purchaser here, and I am pretty sure only those married to Matt would be eligible for the Vette. Try to weasel in on that one and I will be forced to dig into my archive of incriminating photos.

Sorry... Matt is the purchaser here, and I am pretty sure only those married to Matt would be eligible for the Vette. Try to weasel in on that one and I will be forced to dig into my archive of incriminating photos.
    Who's Matt?

S.

Who's Matt?

S.
    Maybe this guy??

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The guy with no arms or legs lying by the front door.

You misspelled 3bean.

S.