Thread: Web Tuned

Default Web Tuned

Linkie.

Pretty kewl. I wonder if this sort of service would jump start interest in the new Miata here in America...

Little known outside of Japan is the fact that you can design a build-to-order Mazda online and see you custom creation through to purchase without ever leaving your chair. Mazda’s Web Tune Factory has been up and running since 2001 and the newest addition to the lineup of 22 available vehicles is the Web Tuned Roaster that’s based on the MX-5.

Though one can access the Web Tune Factory from anywhere in the world, Mazda adds the caveat that the cars can’t be exported. That’s just as well since the site is only available in Japanese. We pimped out a new Web Tuned Roadster with every available option we could find, including a ¥54,600 ($463 US) car seat for the little kiddo in your life. Not being able to read the strange eastern hieroglyph, we simply chose whatever was most expensive. After the build you get a snapshot of your one-of-a-kind whip in a decidedly awkward setting (ours looks like it landed in Germany). Still, spending millions of virtual yen is always a fun way to while away the work hours.

Question: if you completely custom ordered it from the factory, I presume it would still qualify as Stock for autox?

S.

They did a progam in the US for the 2002 special order cars. Didn't sell many.....

Linky!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 04-19-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Well that was fun, but I got a picture of the car understeering alot

Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    Well that was fun, but I got a picture of the car understeering alot

S.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    They did a progam in the US for the 2002 special order cars. Didn't sell many.....

Linky!
    Maybe they need to offer more options/possible combinations! Sort of like Pontiac does with the Solstice, where you can get a base car with an LSD as the only option, etc.

S.

The ONLY things special about the 2002 ordering was the special colors and the web interface. The option combos available were the same as what is available through the dealer ordering tool that the dealer uses to order every car on their lot. Give us the ability to order each part of an option pack separately with no combo restrictions, and we will stop complaining. That has never been offered on the Miata in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Maybe they need to offer more options/possible combinations! Sort of like Pontiac does with the Solstice, where you can get a base car with an LSD as the only option, etc.

S.
    Wonder how many folks would order one on-line site unseen? I'm not that much of an on-line shopper yet.

The NC has been out a year I'd imagine Mazda may tweak the option packages as time passes due to actually having real competition in the marketplace. The Solstice / Skye should make the NC a better car!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    The ONLY things special about the 2002 ordering was the special colors and the web interface.
    True and it was a flop which will affect what Mazda does in the future.
    Give us the ability to order each part of an option pack separately with no combo restrictions, and we will stop complaining. That has never been offered on the Miata in the US.
    That's tough to do looking at it from a manufacturing standpoint, ya need to build for stock since most cars are not special ordered in the US, so you need a few option levels to address the market.

How do you justify the premium it would cost to to build to order?? What options do you offer??

Wonder how many folks would order one on-line site unseen? I'm not that much of an on-line shopper yet.

The NC has been out a year I'd imagine Mazda may tweak the option packages as time passes due to actually having real competition in the marketplace. The Solstice / Skye should make the NC a better car!
    I would. We basically bought our Murano that way, picking the color and options, finding the dealer with the combo we wanted in stock, and negotiating a price before ever driving to a dealership. If I ever buy an NC, I would do the same. If I couldn't find the combo I wanted, I would have no problem putting down cash for Town North to order it for me.

I would. We basically bought our Murano that way, picking the color and options, finding the dealer with the combo we wanted in stock, and negotiating a price before ever driving to a dealership. If I ever buy an NC, I would do the same. If I couldn't find the combo I wanted, I would have no problem putting down cash for Town North to order it for me.
    I'm more into instant gratification, but an Internet search is how I found my 4Runner.

Or they could do what Scion does: each dealer has a "demo" car that you can go and test drive to see if you like it. If you do, then you custom order the option packages you want. Speaking of Scions, I still want this sexy (and limited edition) little number for a daily driver...

My wife is soooo lucky we only have a 2 car garage.

S.

Aren't Scions pretty much all equiped the same way and the extra bling is dealer installed??

http://www.scion.com/

Aren't Scions pretty much all equiped the same way and the extra bling is dealer installed??
    Port installed.

Port installed.
    Toyota of Ft. Worth has a "special" area for the bolt on bling and they do it on site (Wheels, fuel doors, ect.) Don't know if they all do it that way....

All this kind of stuff = http://www.scion.com/showroom/xb/accessories/

My 4Runner had a bunch of Port installed goodies!

Port installed.
    I bet the side airbags aren't port installed. Likewise the alcantara seats on the special edition pictured above. But otherwise yes. I believe much bling is port installed. I'm sure wheels and tires and the like are dealer installed. This seems like a sensible system...

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    I bet the side airbags aren't port installed. Likewise the alcantara seats on the special edition pictured above. But otherwise yes. I believe much bling is port installed. I'm sure wheels and tires and the like are dealer installed. This seems like a sensible system...

S.
    Yea it's a Special Edition with a set list of options, so no customizing other than port or dealer installed bling. What does this have to do with Mazda's on line order deal??

Hey Titus other than the Torsen what else would you want as a stand alone option on an NC??

Hey Titus other than the Torsen what else would you want as a stand alone option on an NC??
    I would order a marble white (yellow if it was available) 5 spd with 16 inch wheels, LSD, Black leather interior and black cloth top.