Thread: I can't get mine to overheat if I try.

I can't get mine to overheat if I try.

Whats wrong with mine? It'll leaks the coolant out in a day... something I'll need to check. During winter it'd take 5miles for it to get somewhere close to warmed up, then as I was driving it'd go back down to cold, I'd lose the heater and everything. Now even in this 90+ weather driving with no coolant the needle is a smidge under vertical, and I've changed the thermostat and temp gauge sensor 2 months ago, and the engine ain't acting funny or anything. Not at stoplights or nothing it won't get hot.

Mod note: I moved this out so it can have its own thread. And we can let the other thread be about overheating.
    Last edited by Majik; 04-18-2006 at 07:46 AM.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Ostracized, eh?

How thorough are your attempts at overheating? The temp gauge is rigged to move only at certain ranges IIRC. For example, midpoint or just prior might be indicated from say 180-220F.

Perhaps your cooling system is just working correctly.

Only time I've ever seen mine above midpoint is on a coursewide red flag (not me!) during a PCA TT at TMS: long course, lots of high revs, no cooldown lap. The fan brought it back down. Otherwise mine rarely reads high, even in stop and go rush-hour traffic in August with the A/C on.
    Last edited by redmenace; 04-18-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: punctuation; seriously?!

Why are ya bitchin seems like a good problem?

If it really takes more than a minute or 2 to warm up I'd suspect that nifty new thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    Whats wrong with mine? It'll leaks the coolant out in a day... something I'll need to check.
    Urg... Where is it leaking? If it's not on the ground then you may have a blown head gasket or a pinhole leak where it sprays out under pressure. Titus (IIRC) had that where it was spraying on the exhaust manifold. Hard to find a leak like that.

Also, be careful in that your gauge may read cold but if there's no coolant coming into contact with the sensor then your engine may be WAY hotter than you think.

As for the car taking forever to warm up, the thermostat (as suggested by others) is the culprit.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!