Thread: FM Butterfly Brace install 7/15 *hopefully*

Default FM Butterfly Brace install 7/15 *hopefully*

I have the shop scheduled for this Saturday. 11 Am start time. If you want to see how its done or just stand around and make critical comments come on down.

www.baertrax.com for directions.

how long will this take? i dont mind stopping by after work but thats not untill 7pm!

Should not take more the 3 or 4 hours max.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk
    Should not take more the 3 or 4 hours max.
    Make sure you have a little extra time just in case...The one person with it that I talked to said it was real bear to install. Budget 1-2 hrs just for the interior removal and reinstall... The carpet needs to be pulled all the way back which requires seat removal, center-console removal, door sills, etc. etc. etc. If you are going to do it on a lift and you have headrest speakers, you will also need to deal with the speaker wires that may need to be unplugged at the back of the HU or at the speakers themselves if a quick disconnect doesn't exist... I added a quick disconnect to my drivers seat but not the passenger. I wish I had done both at the time.
    Last edited by Titus; 07-13-2006 at 07:10 AM.

I basically have the shop as long as I need it Saturday. I have had the drivers seat out and it took all of 5 minutes. It had the quick disconnects on the wires under the seat. The passenger I have not looked at yet.

JUXT3R thanks for the hand. It was very much appreciated.

The install took about 3.5 hours. Nothing hard about it just slow. Definately improved the stiffness of the chassis. I have not had a chance to really play with it yet though.

Sorry I was late.
    I woke up at 11.

The construction/machining of the butterfly brace is very impressive! Definitely an improvement in vehicle rigidity. When all of my other current stuff is ironed out, this is definitely next on the big list!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Sorry I did not comment before you started on this project, but for the future for anyone installing this FM Butterfly Brace here is a good tip, weld the bolts to the chassie. Reason being if you have to get to your exhaust you can NOT remove the middle section without removing the inside nuts from the bolts that hold the center section on. Guess what, those bolts are under the carpet that have seats sitting on them so you will have to remove them again and have a friend hold the wrench!

The answer to this problem is to put a small weld bead on the bolts on the floor pan. Why you have a welder handy, you also want to tack a weld bead on the bolts that go to the middle section, again you can not get to the bolts to hold them, only the nuts and they will turn on you. By doing this you can readjust the middle section wiothout having to drop the whole midsection.

As for performance of this brace, strongly recommend it. If you want to test drive it in my '96 you are welcome to. I do have to admitt, if we had the time at TDR we would do several things to the brace to make it better and to improve on the installation, but in the mean time it really tightens up the chassis and the track loves it even more.

Dawg
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com