Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Caroll Smith Memorial Autocross - July 23, 2006

If I were you I'd run the novce class. Then you will be on the same skill level as your competitors. The tire class is just people running on non-r comp tires. So there are some fast competitors in the tire classes as well.

When I first started out I ran the novice class for about 4 months I think. Great fun to run against others like me who knew where the course went (that way---> kinda thing ).

ANyways.....I will be talking to my wife and seeing if its cool for me to go up this weekend :)

our 94-97 miatas were in CS up until 2005. But last year we got moved down and became competitive again :)

Quote Originally Posted by tmanAg08
    David, I would jump at the chance to ride with someone else before driving the course myself. That sounds great. I hope you can make it.

I guess I got confused, I thought somewhere on dfwmiata.com it said that '94+ run in C-stock. I guess I'll just get everything straightened out when I get there. What is the purpose of the "tire class", and should I just choose the Novice class since this is my first time?
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

David - you should enter our X class. PAX index decides the winner. Last event we had 17 entrants. I'll probably be in X this weekend too.

TMANAG08 - definitely run Novice your first time. We also offer a Novice walk through that I highly recommend. It's immediately before the drivers meeting. Tommy Saunders does the walk through, and always points out things that 'mere mortals' (just ask him!) don't think of. He does a great job with the walk through. It sounds like you've got a couple of offers for rides as well. Take advantage of all of them. Ride with someone, get someone to ride with you, etc. Don't sweat the class or car - get into a car with someone who's experienced and fast. If you end up having trouble finding rides, find me at the event. I'll make sure you get taken care of. I'll be the funny looking guy conducting the drivers meeting.

You can change your class at registration the morning of the event, but if you can do it online ahead of time it helps the worker chiefs put together a more balanced heat structure.
    A Z06 is just like a Miata, but with the other half of the motor . . .

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    There are loner helmets, free of charge.
    If you're planning to share headgear with others, pick up a headsock at Home Depot beforehand. They're only a couple of bucks and it will keep you from sharing too much with your fellow helmet borrowers.

I guarantee it will be hot & sweaty out there Sunday.

Engine Builder

Solo RX-7, thanks for the info. I'll log onto DLB Racing and see if I can change my registration to the novice class, if I can tell which one that is.

Is anybody else going to be driving from Dallas to this event? I'll be coming from about where 30 & 35 meet. What time should I try to arrive? I'm thinking I'll shoot for about 7:30, is that about right to make sure I've got plenty of time to walk the course, air up tires, etc.?

Thanks everybody for answering my questions, I'm looking forward to this weekend!

Woo-hoo, I finally got my tires! I look forward to trying them out this weekend. Actually, being Mineral Wells, I guess I should say 'wearing them out this weekend'.

Hankook Ventus R-S2 195/16R-14.

Don't forget guys, this will be the event where all the Formula SAE carts buzz around lost on course.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Don't forget guys, this will be the event where all the Formula SAE carts buzz around lost on course.
    NO say it isn't so!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    NO say it isn't so!
    I did not forget. I shall sit upon my sofa and drink mint juleps.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intellicast
    Sunday:
    Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.
    Don't forget your jacket majik
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Since some of you may not know . . .

Link to Carroll Smith's site

Some interesting reading.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Looks like you CS boys will have a Solstice to play with this time. Has he showed up before? Anybody know who he is?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Looks like you CS boys will have a Solstice to play with this time. Has he showed up before? Anybody know who he is?
    Think this may be a new one, only Solstice I have seen this year was at Walnut Ridge don't recall any in Houston. Will be interesting to see how it does.

So is it really the SAE weekend???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So is it really the SAE weekend???
    Wish I was wrong, but I've got a co-worker who's in the UTA effort. My answer so far has been, "It isn't if, it's how much I beat him in the PAX."

I've asked why none of them have registered yet (AM class IIRC). He hasn't given me a believable answer.

Engine Builder

Well, I tried to change my registration to Novice class, but the classes listed on dlbracing.com are just a confusing jumble of letters. Which one is the novice class?

Quote Originally Posted by tmanAg08
    Well, I tried to change my registration to Novice class, but the classes listed on dlbracing.com are just a confusing jumble of letters. Which one is the novice class?
    If you were in ES, the novice version would be NES. Does your car have any modifications?

Engine Builder

Thanks, I've got it changed now. My car is completely stock, by the way.

Smile

WooHoo! Looks like a "cold front" is coming in and it will only be in the 90's on Sunday!!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

sae cars run in fsae. its a class just for those cars :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer
    sae cars run in fsae. its a class just for those cars :)
    Thought I got that "AM class" reference from my co-worker but now I can't find it.

Thanks!

the fsae class is pretty new actually. Maybe only about 3 years old? They were in AM before that and a lot of them run there. At Nationals they all run in fsae though :)

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Thought I got that "AM class" reference from my co-worker but now I can't find it.

Thanks!
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast