Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RX-8 Engine Issues

Default RX-8 Engine Issues

Spoke with a Mazda mechanic friend of mine about a Miata issues and while I was there he was working on a RX-8. He stated they are having a lot of engines going out do to poor oiling and had a feeling that there may be a recall coming soon. He said about 70% of the engines that are having problems are having the engines replaced under warranty. This could be the end of the rotary if this keeps happening. Most likely Mazda was probably running the oil injection on the lean side for emmisions and this caught up with them.

I bring this up in case you have one, know someone that has one or were thinking about buying one. I would stay shy of buying one if I were you.

Dawg
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

What a pity that would be, but your analysis seems spot on. Sheesh, if the RX-8 dies and the MX-5 doesn't rediscover its soul, Mazda will become just another purveyor of sporty but unremarkable FWD cars.

S.

Thanks for the tip Trackdog. The RX-8 was on my list of top 3 candidates.

Since the RX8 uses a bit of oil normally wonder how many of the failures are caused by a low oil level condition???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Since the RX8 uses a bit of oil normally wonder how many of the failures are caused by a low oil level condition???
    I'm wondering the same thing... How many engines are being replaced for n00bs vs. how many for experienced RX owners. These things drink oil - the harder you hit the gas, the more they drink. If they aren't checking them then they will run low.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Interesting information Gary. I'd hate to see the rotaries go away all together. The RX-8 is a great car and I'm really enjoying my RX-7 right now.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I was told it was an issue with the electronic setup. By the way they have a huge fuse/relay box about 6" x 12" long full of fuses and relays. They are reflashing new data to try to improve the oil ratio, but if the damage is done already then it is on borrowed time. Apparently with the reduced oil the seals are cutting into the coated rotor housings and well you can imagine what happens next.

Dawg
    www.trackdogracing.com

yeah, I've been hearing that issue...

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=68582

seems not al lthat uncommon..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

whoa, an rotary grenading? Thats never happened before.

A voluntary recall gets my respect though...if it happens. VW put rings in upside down in a few thousand cars, then told thier owners to deal with burning over 1qt per 1000 miles. You should see what that does to piston walls, especially the ring lands.

I wonder how much Mazda really cares about its enthusiest buyer base? They seem to be selling enough cars now that if the Miata is a bust (which it is) they'll still survive.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg
    They seem to be selling enough cars now that if the Miata is a bust (which it is) they'll still survive.
    How do you figure? The 2006 NC sales exceeded projections, and the PRT appears to be a home run from a sales standpoint.

The 3 is doing very well. The 6 isn't doing bad either.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

looks like Mazda's actually doing well selling their 'normal' car line-up these days... Something kinda new for them..

Mazda3
    Mazad5
    Mazda6
    Tribute
    CX-7

Those all seem to be selling fairly well.. Well enough that most dealers can't seem to keep much on an inventory on hand..

Rotoaries have a tendancy to be finicky.. That'll always be the case. I wonder how many of teh motor replacements could have been prevented by a bit of 'owner education'
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Wow, that is not very many cars combined when you think of other manufacturers. Looks like the 38% drop in RX-8 sales may be the telling story of the end.

Dawg
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog
    Wow, that is not very many cars combined when you think of other manufacturers. Looks like the 38% drop in RX-8 sales may be the telling story of the end.

Dawg
    Think the SUV like gas mileage may also have something to do with the low sales on the RX8.

Have you ever run across anyone with an RX8 that didn't bitch about the gas mileage.

I think the life cycle of designs have a lot to do with it too... The oldest designs seem to be the ones that trail off, and new designs get a good bump.

The 3 sells like crazy, and it should. When I was in California a few weeks ago, I had my Mom's Z3 (2.3 ver) and dads Mazda3 (2.0 ver). I had more fun in the twisties in the 3... that is one cool little car, and I got around 35 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    and I got around 35 mpg.

Nice work, sunshine. How slow were you driving to achieve that figure?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Nice work, sunshine. How slow were you driving to achieve that figure?

S.
    The 35 mpg was for the 200 mile round trip to pick us up from the airport followed by a 200 mile round trip to see the grandmothers with the daughter in the backseat... yes, I am told they typically fill it up every 400 miles. My Dad says he beats on it like crazy and has never had a tank dip below 30 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog

Dawg

nope, that's very true.. but then again, they don't have teh capacity of most of the others either... When you figure Ford was selling 400,000 Taruses in it's heyday, Mazda looks kinda puny But at teh same time.. Mazda is selling pretty much all tehy make of their newer models.. I think that says something good
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    nope, that's very true.. but then again, they don't have teh capacity of most of the others either... When you figure Ford was selling 400,000 Taruses in it's heyday, Mazda looks kinda puny But at teh same time.. Mazda is selling pretty much all tehy make of their newer models.. I think that says something good
    Now what if you counted all of the Fords that are based on Mazda engineering?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast