Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Hardtop worth it?

Default Is a Hardtop worth it?

New here and I'm not sure if this is the right place but... Does the purchase of a hardtop make sense? If so, do I have to remove the soft top? And does a roll bar make any difference regarding the fit?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    New here and I'm not sure if this is the right place but... Does the purchase of a hardtop make sense? If so, do I have to remove the soft top? And does a roll bar make any difference regarding the fit?
    Thanks
    Worth it? Depends on you. Some of us love them, others sell them when they realize they spend their life collecting dust in the garage. They hold their value very well so if you have the storage space and the cash, you can always get one and then sell it if you don't like it.

Remove soft Top? Not necessary.

Rollbar? Some work, some don't.

Got a hardtop with our 2002 hardly ever use the damn thing, waste of money IMHO.

Now if we lived in Alaska...................

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Got a hardtop with our 2002 hardly ever use the damn thing, waste of money IMHO.

Now if we lived in Alaska...................
    I'll take it off you hands for $5! It'll be my problem to deal with then. You can thank me later.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I'll take it off you hands for $5! It'll be my problem to deal with then. You can thank me later.
    The lovely wife doesn't want to separate it from the car (it's a matched set ).... Or it would have been gone long ago!

I honestly don't think it has been on a car in well over a year.

The lovely wife doesn't want to separate it from the car (it's a matched set ).... Or it would have been gone long ago!
    Tell her you put it on the attic and then take her out for a night on the town with that $5! Even if she eventually discovers that it's missing, you can always remind her of the wonderful night she gained from the sale.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Tell her you put it on the attic and then take her out for a night on the town with that $5! Even if she eventually discovers that it's missing, you can always remind her of the wonderful night she gained from the sale.
    She keeps the hardtop in the master bedroom closet, where she hopes it's safe from the RX8 crowd.

If you want the top you have to buy the car, it's a package deal.

So cam76034 why do you think you want a hardtop???

If you want the top you have to buy the car, it's a package deal.
    I'll give you two-fitty for the package!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    NMC

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Starting the Westie project shopping early? That would make a nice donor car... but maybe a little too nice to end up as a donor.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well, I'm on my third hardtop. I tend to buy one when I think I need one, and sell it when I realize I'm not using it as much as I thought. On the up-side, it's one of very few options that maintain 100% of their value, provided you don't damage it.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

I'm sure lots of people would argue that a hard top is simply excess baggage for Miata owners in the southern states. We simply don't have the weather conditions that folks in, say, Chicago or Montreal deal with annually that can a) have adverse effects on the soft top, or b) seemingly suck heat right through the canvas, vinyl or whatever.

I love the hard top for several reasons. 1) vastly improved visibility compared to the plastic window of the soft top, 2) improved appearance of the car (subjective, I know), 3) not exactly prone to leaks, 4) makes the car a little more solid feeling. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the ones that came to mind immediately.

I agree that the resale value is very nice in that it tends to stick right around $1k, give or take depending on condition. However, buying a hard top strictly for that reason, in my opinion, is like a buddy of mine buying a certain vehicle because resale is better than another he was considering. My opinion, of course, but that makes poor sense to me.

Whether or not having a hard top is worth it is strictly up to you and your car.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Is it quieter on the highway with a hardtop?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Running cars... who needs a stinkin' running car!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Yes, It is quieter with the hard top. In the summer, the car does stay cooler with the A/C running. In the winter, it stays warmer.

Convenience? Not very easy to take off and put on when you feel like taking a ride with the wind blowing in your hair.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

i love the hard top. i think its great. cuts down on the wind noise. makes the car feel stiffer. no more rain problems, the list just goes on and on

i know some companies make special rollbars just for the hardtop.

i think it was totally worth the money. i cant thank Jeff_nc enough for getting the great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Yes, It is quieter with the hard top. In the summer, the car does stay cooler with the A/C running. In the winter, it stays warmer.

Convenience? Not very easy to take off and put on when you feel like taking a ride with the wind blowing in your hair.
    All this talk makes me drool for the new Drop Top Hard Top... you know, if I had 30 large burning a hole in my jeans...

Just give it a few years and the new will wear off of those little pups!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    All this talk makes me drool for the new Drop Top Hard Top...
    I gotta say, damned ugly car with the hard top up... the angles just don't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast