Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S-2000 Autocross #4 - September 18, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Jesus, Erik... when are you just gonna move down here and be done with it? :P

(For those who don't know, Erik lives somewhere just south of Canada, iirc.)

It'll be good to see you donw here again. Are Kori and Elise coming with you again?
    Haha. :) Kori and Elise are staying home, and I'm flying solo this trip. I'm made every other S2K event, so I thought I might as well be consistent. :)

For all:
    I will also be available Saturday night & Sunday morning for photo shoots around the D/FW area. Please PM or email me for details.

Anyone want to meet up at Mcdonalds? What time?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Anyone want to meet up at Mcdonalds? What time?
    I'm in. 7am'ish?

Ok, so 7:30 it is

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Ok, so 7:30 it is
    Isn't 7:30-9:30am - Registration & Car Prep/Tech? Maybe we should shoot for 7:00am.

Side Note: I just hope Brock doesn't notice this post, otherwise we will get a dose of his luv of McD's!

Yeah, Tech opens at 7:30am. Bring me a McMuffin or none of you will pass!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was just thinking I was at MCds at 7:00 last time and no one was there until 7:20 or later. So I thought 7:30 was better.

In other words, Sparky, if you need better sarcasm glasses, I can get you a hook up!

<sigh> Course setup starts at 6:30... </sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Ok, so see you guys at Mcdonalds at 7:00

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looks like it's going to be a smoker tomorrow with heat indices pushing 100 degrees and no wind! Be sure to dress accordingly and bring plenty of water/fluids, sunscreen and a hat with you!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Somebody bring us a donut or something. We'll be getting the course ready for you lay-a-beds

3bean - wake up

Saturday-Saturday-Saturday . . . see y'all there
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Looks like it's going to be a smoker tomorrow with heat indices pushing 100 degrees and no wind! Be sure to dress accordingly and bring plenty of water/fluids, sunscreen and a hat with you!
    Yuck, that weather forcast does not suit my needs.....
    Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Somebody bring us a donut or something. We'll be getting the course ready for you lay-a-beds
    Those of us who are not morning people (like me) greatly appreciate your efforts!

Yeah, it looks like it's going to be a hot one. Is anyone bringing a tire sprayer? I'd like to keep my new tires from doing a repeat of the last event.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Yeah, it looks like it's going to be a hot one. Is anyone bringing a tire sprayer? I'd like to keep my new tires from doing a repeat of the last event.
    The tip is MIA on mine, but it works pretty good, and it is already on the trailer.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I might stop by wally world to get one...

Thanks for the water cooler*, Hal! For a hot day, I picked up suprisingly little sunburn... Maybe that's because I got the SUPER GRAVY work assignment of supervising leadfootjon's use of the computer. Heh. That and showing up at 6 dark 30 to set up another masterful course designed by Clovis.

*This would be funnier if POS had not deleted an earlier post regarding water coolers...

Whew... that was a lot of fun today! I'm pretty sure Miatas outnumbered the S2000s today, and everyone looked like they were running pretty well. It was definitely a course that rewarded momentum and the ability to read surface conditions. I enjoyed it, and thought it flowed well, especially the start, finish, and my signature section of offsets.

It looks like lugnutjohn finally had some legitimate competition in Miata Street class today. He may have won, but both majik and joemiata had faster raw times that were coned away. Of course, lugnutjon was working the computer later in the heat - are you guys sure you hit cones on those runs, or was lugnutjon taking advantage of his work assignment? :P

My car felt really good today. It was sticking well, turning and tracking well (perhaps tightening that loose swaybar mounting bolt I uncovered earlier this week did me some good in that department ), and it was really confidence inspiring in the offsets and slaloms. The only place I wasn't 100% happy with it was in the skidpad, where it tended to push a little bit if I wasn't patient with it. Still, overall that's the best the car has felt in a while. I've never been fond of Pennington since I can't ever seem to find a driving style that works well at that venue, so this is probably the best the car has felt in months, since we've been running exclusively at Pennington since early July, iirc.

I was rewarded for my efforts with a best time of 90.921. Not quite good enough to catch the ever fast S2000 of Clovis, but good enough to embarass quite a few of the other cars out there today. Unless I'm mistaken, the only faster cars were Clovis and the BMWs of Mike V. and Jim H. - quick company indeed.

TC also managed to wire my car for sound in the afternoon, hooking up his new G-Tech multi-axis accelerometer and data logging device. Clovis and TC also submitted to having some of their runs datalogged, so it should be interesting to see the comparison between the three. One thing TC did note on my runs was that I had exactly the same peak lateral acceleration both to the left and to the right (after 3 years of tinkering I guess I've finally found an alignment that makes the car truly neutral), and that my "peg the tach and drop the hammer" launch technique seems to pay off - I had the highest peak logitudinal acceleration out of all the cars monitored, even better than Clovis's S2000. So the next time some pansy-diff'ed S2000 driver tells you that the launch doesn't make a difference, you can tell 'em that it just ain't so.

Hat's off to redbullforbreakfast for beating dad gabkwong in his dad's car, and to joemiata and majik for making lugnutjon work for it today.

Anyway, I had fun. Good to see everyone out there, and I can't wait to see the data that TC gathered from the event!
    Iain

TC seems to be taking a nap...

However, the data is FASCINATING... At least it will be for you engineering types. It's particularly fascinating to compare my trips through the skidpad to altiain's after his comment that the car was pushing... Mine wasn't, and I consistently ran as fast or faster through that one little tiny section...

It's also interesting to compare altiain vs Clovis on the first "section" - the start through the open slalom through the left hand through the offsets up the hill - where they are neck and neck... altiain is clearly making more aggressive transitions that overcome the power advantage of the s2k.

Raw files are available for download. Please note that only the first part of Majik's run is valid - if you understand what you're looking at, it should be fairly obvious where the meter falls off the windshield.

To view the data (and do cool stuff like compare runs), you'll need the software (GTech PASS 2.0 - and maybe the instructions).

I'll eventually get around to writing up some analysis with pictures.

Hey TC, what software do you recommend. I am dling pass2.0 for a gtech comp. pro is that right?

Yup... GTech PASS 2.0... I should probably have read the page more closely....

I've created a "map" of the course showing my average speed over the course that will probably be helpful. There are several highly identifiable corners/transitions on every run - the skidpad, due to its length is pretty easy to spot if you get lost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast