Thread: Hello DALLAS! (FMII Turbo & Link Issues)

Default Hello DALLAS! (FMII Turbo & Link Issues)

I recently aquired a 93 Flyin'Maita II. Ebay is a wonderful thing. I coming over to the Maita crowd from the Mustang Cobra Open Track group. I bought this puppy to run run run on the track. So far it's been OK. A couple of run sessions at Texas motorsport ranch and I think I might be able to get the hang of drivnig this thing.

I am still working through the LINK engine management system. Not exactly an easy user interface. I've got a whole host of problems that I am sorting through such as ....

Cooling
    Reprogramming the LINK
    Swapping bigger brakes onto the car
    Adding an new Exhaust
    Reinstalling the intercooler
    blah blah blah

I can use all you advise, knowledge, skill, beer - Whatever you got I need it so feel free to PM me.

I have a feeling I'm going to be in here a LOT.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Welcome!

The answers you get depend on the information you give...

Also, what area of the metromess are you in? I'm in Lewisville but the larger majority seems to be in the Arlingtongue area.

Does the cooling problem rear its head constantly or is it only at high speed or while idling in traffic on hot days? With or without AC running?

Exhause, intercooler, and brakes should be straightforward. You'll want to buy a new cap for your brake fluid reservoir to do the TCB version of a speed bleeder. This way you can flush that nasty old fluid out when doing the brakes.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I am in the Frisco Area.

I am goignt o rule out the TSTAT this weekend. If it isnt the TStat, I will powerwash the crap out of the radiator. If it isn't that, I gotta be thinking Water pump.

I am normally running around 102 degrees C but if I get on the Turbo it quickly jumps to 116 degrees and then the LINK puts the rev limiter on.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Problem occurs after a highway drive into stop and go traffic and then back to boost. Once traffic clears and I get on the boost, POW the water temp goes from 104 to 116 Celcius of course.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

It's not going to be the water pump for that... If the pump isn't pumping then it's locked up and the belt will burn up.

Put in a lower temp thermostat and flush the cooling system...

While there, there's a jumper you can do to turn on the cooling fans... don't remember which one, but you can do a search on the pointy board to find it... (pointy board = http://forums.miata.net)

Once the fans are on, check them for airflow... some people have reportedly had bad fans that weren't turning full speed.

Cleaning bugs out of the radiator is a good thing to do with a pressure washer.

If those steps don't help isolate it then it's probably time for a new radiator as the old one is plugged full of crud.

Of course, there is always the outside chance that the temp sensor is bad, but that's far less likely than the other items.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Welcome to the Forum Screamin since you post was headed towards miata tech I moved it so you might get more help!

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    Once traffic clears and I get on the boost, POW the water temp goes from 104 to 116 Celsius of course.
    Wow so it's running at 219 deg. F and ramps up to 240 deg. F. What radiator do you have in the car? Got any pictures of your setup?

The OEM thermostat should open at 90 deg Celsius or 195 deg. F

Have you looked at this link? Good Stuff!

OK,

I left some details out, Sorry.

It has a 160 Degree Tstat
    FlyinMiata Racing Radiator
    Recently Changed coolant (35% Coolant/65% Water + Water Wetter)
    Fans are wired in parallel activated by temperature.

Turbo electronically limted to 10 lbs of boost (The whimpy setting)
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba