Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miata drivetrain whining noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Nah... half of that drive will be in this state alone!
    So what's your point?

I'd do it in a heart beat.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Nah I have to be at work on Tuesday so that's out of the question. Probably gonna use DAS (dependable auto shippers) we used them last time, quote is around 500.

As far as the gear whine goes, I picked the car up tonight and it has pretty severe supercharger loud whine gears 1-2-3, quiet in 4th and a bit in 5th. Has a bit of chatter in gear with the RPM's dropping so I suspect it's the tranny/flywheel/clutch or something like that. Shifts smooth though and drives just great.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Congrats!

Can't wait to see it.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Banned

Saw the thread, and was thought I was the only one with some whining in the drivetrain. But, after reading a few, I can rest assured. I AutoX mine quite a bit and take it to the track every so often. The car shifts fine, and it too sounds like a mini supercharger. But I had also been driving a '61 Chevy P/U before this, so I was accustomed to gear noises.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    So what's your point?

That it's a big state and it takes a while to cross... regardless of speed.

We're not talking Rhode Island here.

My 2001 has a turbo like whine at 2500-3000 rpm especially in 1-3 gears. My friends 99 doesn't have the "whine". Glad this is just normal(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Saw the thread, and was thought I was the only one with some whining in the drivetrain. But, after reading a few, I can rest assured. I AutoX mine quite a bit and take it to the track every so often. The car shifts fine, and it too sounds like a mini supercharger. But I had also been driving a '61 Chevy P/U before this, so I was accustomed to gear noises.
    How long has yours done that? Is it in every gear or just the first few? Mine also has a bit of rattling as the RPM's drop in gear. I'm not too worried since a tranny is so cheap and it drives alright, no grinding and the gear shifting is smooth.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Banned

Hmm, the rattling could maybe be a flywheel issue. Don't know. Some lightened flywheels will chatter. Mine has done it since I owned the car. 105,000 miles on it, bought it with 87,000 on the OD. My noise is most prominent when engine braking in upper gears like exiting the highway or something where you just throttle lift. I also have to suspect my pilot bearing as it was more noticable after installing a better clutch. When I am just barely on throttle in 2nd gear I can hear the gear mesh.

Hmm, the rattling could maybe be a flywheel issue. Don't know. Some lightened flywheels will chatter. Mine has done it since I owned the car. 105,000 miles on it, bought it with 87,000 on the OD. My noise is most prominent when engine braking in upper gears like exiting the highway or something where you just throttle lift. I also have to suspect my pilot bearing as it was more noticable after installing a better clutch. When I am just barely on throttle in 2nd gear I can hear the gear mesh.
    Possibly, I did see that about 20K miles ago the clutch was replaced and flywheel resurfaced but maybe it didn't have enough material left on it. I have a feeling down the road it will just be a new clutch/tranny/flywheel but it drives fine now so maybe I'll just pretend like I have a blower under the hood with no belt attached
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Banned

Ha! That's what I do. I don't the condition of my flywheel, however Shannon from MSR installed the clutch, so I trust he would have said something if it was marginal. He went so far as to replace some other things that weren't even clutch related. One to listen for is if it is intermittent, say every 8 ft.; then it is differential.

Ha! That's what I do. I don't the condition of my flywheel, however Shannon from MSR installed the clutch, so I trust he would have said something if it was marginal. He went so far as to replace some other things that weren't even clutch related. One to listen for is if it is intermittent, say every 8 ft.; then it is differential.
    Nah it's not the diff, it's in random gears and doesn't happen when you're in gearing and the car is decelerating only upon 1-3rd gear acceleration. Any other ideas on what it might be besides the bearings in the tranny going bad?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Banned

I do know that Mazda makes non serviceable u-joints for their driveshafts. These are weak links and see a ton of use. But more than likely just wear in the gears, as they are so fun to shift. They will really start talking to you when things are going bad. Hard shifts are usually a first sign, so unless you drag race every where you go you should have many many miles left it the box.

When the front bearing of my diff. went out it made a whining noise, but when you get the car we'll ride in each others cars and see if it's the whine I was talking about earlier.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    When the front bearing of my diff. went out it made a whining noise, but when you get the car we'll ride in each others cars and see if it's the whine I was talking about earlier.
    Sounds good, car is scheduled to get here Thursday. I'd love to feel what a turbo 1.6 feels like too, I heard the greddy kit is dirt cheap
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Banned

That very well may be the cause for mine as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12