Thread: Got Slow Windows?

Default Got Slow Windows?

Thanks to Trikyrix for helping out.

I needed to swap out my door weatherstrip (torn) so yesterday we went one step further and pulled my window tracks. They were full of hardened grease. We cleaned them out with Carb Cleaner and regreased them with bearing grease.

I didn't use Lithium grease as it just hardens rather quickly in my experience. Plus, when Rick got his new regulator from the dealer, it looked to have standard grease in it.

We used a very light coating of grease much like his new regulator.

The results are tremendous. The windows are nearly as fast as a new car. They still are faster when using them one at a time but that seems more like a power issue.

Next option to get full speed may be to wire in some relays and supply power direct from the battery as discussed here.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Great info, my windows are a bit slow as well. Any write up's or info that you used to do this? How long did it take?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I replaced my driver's side manual regulator a while back and learned a lot. The R&R is pretty straightforward - just be very careful of the little plastic clips that hold the cables to the door (you'll see what I mean when you get inside there). Once you get the window out (3 bolts hold the window to the regulator, plus 2 round "stoppers" that need to come off to get the glass out), then you can pull out the rear track to get it good and clean before you lube it - 2 easy nuts at the back of the door, one near the top and one on the bottom of the door. The regulator is attached in a similar fashion, but with 2 nuts up and 2 down. We didn't even take the regulators all the way out - just left the motor in the door and hung the regulator out so we could get it good and clean. I think you can even leave the motor bolted to the door and have enough slack in the cables to snake the regulator out. The trickiest part is working the regulator in/out through the hole in the door. When you're putting the glass back in, leave the track and regulator nuts a little loose and the window will more or less adjust itself. Also, when you're putting the window back in, I think it would be wise to remove the little screw at top of the quarter glass frame that holds the rubber in. You'll need the slack in the rubber to work the window back into the track without effing up the rubber!

Start to finish I guess it took us about 4 hours, give or take (including a run to the parts store for more carb cleaner).

I'm going to try this on my passenger window at some point before I go buy a new regulator.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 05-02-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

I'm going to try this on my passenger window at some point before I go buy a new regulator.
    Swing on by and we can knock it out at my place.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    We cleaned them out with Carb Cleaner and regreased them with bearing grease.
    Don't you mean crab cleaner?
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

on mine the roller for the second track was full of crud and wouldnt spin. cleaning thatand replacing the regulator makes for nice windows.

It seems like it might be time to hit my manual windows again. Thanks for the tip on using regular grease. Hopefully it makes it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    It seems like it might be time to hit my manual windows again. Thanks for the tip on using regular grease. Hopefully it makes it last longer.
    You might want to do the thourough cleaning I did. It's a PITA but worth it.

I used to add grease every 12 months or so just adding more goop to the problem. That Lithium makes a real mess.
    ...and across the line.