Thread: Throttle Position Sensor & Engine Light

Default Throttle Position Sensor & Engine Light

When my engine light came on for the first time, I was worried. The car was "bucking" back and forth even though I wasn't giving her any extra gas. After having the OBD codes checked, it turned out to be the nefarious high or low voltage to the throttle position sensor.

After disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor, the light turned back off and everything went back to normal. Although it's only gone through a bucking phase once after that, the light still randomly comes on even after spraying contact cleaner on it, it has a tendency to stay lit. I wonder sometimes if it depends on the weather; it seems to change after being dry for several days, or after a rain, or when humidity changes and stays that way for a long time. Maybe it's just my imagination.

As my Miata's nearing the 10-year mark, I'd like to get this resolved in case something worth worrying about starts to cause the light to come on. I'd hate for this to turn into a "boy who cried 'wolf'" scenario.

Should I just spring for a new one? If so, where would be a good place to order one from?

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/member.php?u=600

How about filling out your profile so we could know a bit more about you and your car.

Funny, I was just doing that. :)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Funny, I was just doing that. :)
    Wow just after my post, what are the chances.

Found this on the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by wojeepster
    The throttle postion sensor is a variable resistor that lets the ecm know how far the throttle is open. If you take an analog meter(needle) and measure the signal wire with the key on you should get a smooth increase in voltage (.4 tickover-4.5wot) with no dead spots. Dead spots are an indication of a bad tps. If you can't clean it, (radio shack tv tuner cleaner and lubricant) it is time to replace. Was your throttle in approximately the same place when you were having the hesitation/jerking?