Thread: R-comp Heat Cycling Question

Question R-comp Heat Cycling Question

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with a Hoosier tech and got some confusing information. He was basically telling me that I don't really need to heat cycle my new A3S04s and it won't shorten the life of the tires.

He said that I could go out and run about 7-8 tenths on my first 4 runs and let them cool before the second set of runs and I'd be fine to run full out at that point. I've always heard that you should gradually get the tires up to operating temp by doing figure 8's or something similar and then go home and get the tires off the car. Let them sit for over 24 hrs and you're ready to race.

Does anybody wanna call BS on this Hoosier tech? BTW, he also told me to start at 34 psi when I've been reading that I should be running closer to 45 psi.

Thanks in advance!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

What class will you be running? Oh yea you'll be running in my class!

What you need to do is soak the tires in Kerosene for at least 48 hours, then for your first few runs don't put more than 15 psi in the right side tires and 63.7psi in the left side tires. This will help the tires last a long long time! Trust me!

I have always done the figure eight routine, and set the tires up for 24 hour, but I do run Victoracers.

Looks like Tire Rack still thinks you should heat cycle the Hoosiers, but that could be because they have the equipment!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=R3S04

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What class will you be running? Oh yea you'll be running in my class!

What you need to do is soak the tires in Kerosene for at least 48 hours, then for your first few runs don't put more than 15 psi in the right side tires and 63.7psi in the left side tires. This will help the tires last a long long time! Trust me!

I have always done the figure eight routine, and set the tires up for 24 hour, but I do run Victoracers.
    ROFL! Good idea, I'll make sure I try the Kerosene!

I think I'm going to enjoy running E-stock, I'll probably do the figure 8 method like you do for the Victos. It might be a little while before I use the Hoosiers though b/c I still want to get a good feel for the car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

^I thought the 94+ w/ torsens were still in CS...???

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ^I thought the 94+ w/ torsens were still in CS...???
    Nope welcome to 2005!

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

If you called Hoosier, I would follow his directions. Hoosiers are a different animal than Kumho's so there may be something not requiring a heat cycle, or maybe it's just not worth it 'cause the wear out so fast anyway....especially on that autocross compound. As for the pressure, 34 is certainly a reasonable COLD pressure, while 45 is more reasonable as the HOT operating temperature.

Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    If you called Hoosier, I would follow his directions. Hoosiers are a different animal than Kumho's so there may be something not requiring a heat cycle, or maybe it's just not worth it 'cause the wear out so fast anyway....especially on that autocross compound. As for the pressure, 34 is certainly a reasonable COLD pressure, while 45 is more reasonable as the HOT operating temperature.

Merv
    Good input! I see where you're coming from, b/c most people seem to run out of grip before cording Hoosiers while it's the other way around for a tire like the Victoracer.

I might come out of Sunday to the ER event and try out the R-comps. I'm too impatient, notice I said I wanted to get used to the car more a couple of posts up.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I might come out of Sunday to the ER event and try out the R-comps. I'm too impatient, notice I said I wanted to get used to the car more a couple of posts up.
    You're at least 2 hours more used to it! :p Bring it on out!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    You're at least 2 hours more used to it! :p Bring it on out!
    Sam,
    I ran at the BMWCCA autoX last month and at MSR last week, since I rode with you at the S2K event. I've been very happy with the Azenis, but I'm interested to see how the Hoosiers would do. I'm just worried that I won't be pushing the car hard enough yet to get the full benefit of them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sam,
    I ran at the BMWCCA autoX last month and at MSR last week, since I rode with you at the S2K event. I've been very happy with the Azenis, but I'm interested to see how the Hoosiers would do. I'm just worried that I won't be pushing the car hard enough yet to get the full benefit of them.
    ER won't mind if you run on Azenis and save your Hoosiers.

I'd ask around or do a search on miata.net or SCCA Forums about S04 starting pressures. Because of the poor shoulder design on those tires (which is why they were superceded by the S05s in less than a year), they are very prone to premature cording if you run them at the same kind of pressures that you would a Victoracer or a V710. Ask JRW - I believe he got about 25 runs on average out of the S04s he bought last year.

Unfortunately, the tradeoff with the S04s seems to be either run them at really high pressures to minimize shoulder wear and try to prevent them from cording, or run them at lower pressures, get more grip, and resign yourself to the fact that you'll only get 30-40 runs out of them. That's why I recommended not buying them in the other thread - even when you factor in the sale price, they're still a damned expensive tire per run compared ot the V710s, and they aren't any faster.

FWIW, Gabby Garner found that out last weekend - he bought a set of the sale price S04s for his camber-plated STi, and corded two of them in a weekend. Twenty runs.

I'll stick with V710s.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Taken a toke on the Hoosier crack pipe, eh. Those bastards will have you coming back for more until your wallet runs dry.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

He said that I could go out and run about 7-8 tenths on my first 4 runs
    You want to take four competitive runs at 7-8 tenths?

Hoosier is right: you can certainly heat-cycle your own tires by doing what they say (or using POS's figure eight technique), but the "home method" is pretty... ah,er,um... variable. Having Tire Rack (or whoever) heat cycle the tires for you is a more precise way of doing it. Does it make a difference in the end? Some will swear it does, others will say "yeah, maybe, but only a little". Who do you want to believe? :)

FWIW, I didn't heatcycle my v710s...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    You want to take four competitive runs at 7-8 tenths?

Hoosier is right: you can certainly heat-cycle your own tires by doing what they say (or using POS's figure eight technique), but the "home method" is pretty... ah,er,um... variable. Having Tire Rack (or whoever) heat cycle the tires for you is a more precise way of doing it. Does it make a difference in the end? Some will swear it does, others will say "yeah, maybe, but only a little". Who do you want to believe? :)

They didn't offer heat cycling for the discontinued tires, hence the homemade heat cycling. Good to hear that it's not that necessary.

I guess it seemed to make a difference in the BMW crowd. People that didn't heat cycle their tires got significantly less use out of their tires.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    [color=navy]Hoosier is right: you can certainly heat-cycle your own tires by doing what they say (or using POS's figure eight technique), but the "home method" is pretty... ah,er,um... variable. Having Tire Rack (or whoever) heat cycle the tires for you is a more precise way of doing it. Does it make a difference in the end? Some will swear it does, others will say "yeah, maybe, but only a little". Who do you want to believe? :)

I always had my Ecsta V700s heat cycled (usually made it through 9 events before the fronts on my FWD car were toast)...didn't have my Victos done, though, and after 12 events on them, I'm still waiting for the darned things to wear out (my new set's finally in, though, so bye-bye old bricks)....oh - and I didn't home heat cycle the Victos, either....just took them out and put them to work.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Unless you want to destroy those new SO4's, I'd recommend running the Falkens at Pennington. That surface, combined with the usual tight sweepers and 180s can wreak havoc on soft compound tires, especially green ones...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

So I have a couple of Victoracers that I want to heat cycle, I have always in the past done my patented routine on the tires then pulled them off the car and let them set up for at least 24 hrs. Tire Racks website even states
    And the 24 to 48 hour waiting period efficiently occurs while the tires are in transit to you. That means the tires are ready to use when they arrive!
    My question is why do we do this step? Do they really need to come off the car, or could I just let the car sit in the garage for 24 to 48 before an event? Since I plan to put the tires on the car prior to Sunday’s event.

Thanks!