Thread: Turning Question

Default Turning Question

Hey guys, I am running the Icehawk #'s on my new allignment, just did the FM Springs and KYB AGX's and am using ES 100's for tires.
    I have noticed that at speed the car tends to skid forward when I turn in sharp, I don't recall it doing that before.
    Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
    The ES100's when I first got them gripped the road really well but they seem sorta greasy now, I have only put around 1K on them.
    I am just a little worried about Auto X ing these tires because I dont feel like they are gripping well enough to corner at speed on a track, and man are they talking too.
    Is there anything I can do to get these tires to grip better, if not what would you suggest for my next purchase.
    Thanks for the input.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Hey guys...
    Hey.

...the car tends to skid forward when I turn in sharp...
    At what speed?

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
    Too fast for the turn? Underinflated?

The ES100's when I first got them gripped the road really well...
    They are a good street tire... but not that great...

I dont feel like they are gripping well enough to corner at speed on a track...
    Brake earlier and harder.

...they talking too.
    I had them on the VW... they are loud.

...what would you suggest for my next purchase.
    Falken Azenis... Hankook RS2's...

Thanks for the input.
    You're welcome.

Without pulling a 3bean, there is nothing you can really do to make them grip better. Learn to feel them and react to that. Keep in mind, every tire is not going to grip well enough to go around a corner at too high of a speed. The key is to find the highest speed you can go around the corner. Obviously with those tires, that limit is going to be lower than a race tire. I would recommend getting out here and giving it a go a few times. Get an idea what is really going on, then we could assist with adjusting things such as tire pressure.

I appreciate the suggestions for future tire purchases.

I was only going around 40 mph maybe even less,..they just seem kinda greasy.
    What would be a good tire pressure for auto x ing or very spirited driving on the street.
    they are 195/50/15's on 15 X 7 rims.

I am planning on taking it for a few spins real soon.
    I am looking forward to it.
    This may sound funny but it seemed the turn in was better before the allignment.
    go figure
    I could post the before and after #'s if someone wants to give an opinion of them in relation to this turning issue.
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black

What would be a good tire pressure for auto x ing or very spirited driving on the street.
    they are 195/50/15's on 15 X 7 rims.
    Blaze, 3-Bean already told you what tires would be good, but I'll help you even further:

- Falken Azenis
    - Toyo T1S
    - Hankooks

I've run both the T1S and the Azenis, and like them both. The T1S were lighter and quieter, but had a slightly softer turn-in. The Azenis (which I have on now) are heavier, and a little noisier, but have razor sharp turn-in. I haven't tried the Hankooks, but Tailchaser really likes them. My next set of street tires will probably be T1Ss or Hankooks. Does that help?

Sounds like your tires are (1) old, (2) underinflated, and/or (3) you were simply over-driving them. Like Majik says, all tires will break loose -- in this case, fail to turn in -- if you are pushing them past their limit. But it sounds like a new set of tires is in your future. BTW, with 15 x 7 rims, you'll probably want to go with a 205 (instead of 195) tire...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I check the pressure regularly, they have about 1000 miles on them,...so I guess 40 mph is too fast for them to turn in quickly.

I will be wearing these out soon and getting a set of those Hankooks that TC has, I love the way his car was holding the road.

But my question was since tire pressure was brought up, how many more lbs should they be inflated to make a diffrence in turn in?
    99 Miata Black