Thread: Official 2004 DFW Autocross Review thread

Default Official 2004 DFW Autocross Review thread

To start things off... Looks like we made the cover of the November InformER.

Feel free to share your brief summation of the best and worst of 2004.

Cheers!

Best Limited = S2K AX, with the limited number of participants and 8 runs these guy have the best AX going in N. Texas!

Best Unlimited = Equipe Rapide, these guys put on a great AX, and put more cars on course than any other unlimited club in North Texas. They ran virtually trouble free all season! Nice job guys!

Momma said if you don't have anything nice to say about the SCCA Autocrosses that that would not surprise her! Hopefully next year will be better thanks to some of the changes planned for next year with the SCCA.

PCA = I only attend one event but they put on a great AX!

Winner: Tailchaser for "giving rjosey the back door" after the last ER event

Loser: rjosey for telling everyone...

Winner: POS for beating Tailchaser in TC's car at the last S2K event

Loser: sammm and his perfect score of 3 DNF's at SCCA #8

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Loser: sammm and his perfect score of 3 DNF's at SCCA #8
    Beech! If it was easy, anybody could do it. :P

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

What POS said.

I have to give Ramey kudos for taking a well run series and trying to improve it AND continuing to try when the first results weren't spectacular. He was following some very successful folks, and that is never easy. I hope we all learned a lot from the experience.

My Personal Season Best: ER finish ahead of Sammm
    & Personal Season Worst: SCCA loss to Samm & his small block

I wish you guys would stop talking about S2K until I am registered for the 05 season
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    I wish you guys would stop talking about S2K until I am registered for the 05 season
    Yikes real good point!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Best Autocross venue - NTS2K (without a doubt! )

Worst Autocross venue - Any SCCA event with only 3-runs

Middle of the Road Autocross venue - ER (can't complain much about the organization itself)

Most Fun Autocross Location - TMS Road Course (for a handling challenge), Mineral Wells (for a speed/distance challenge)

My Personal High - Shaking and sweating from the adrenaline rush after a run at the last S2K event

My Personal Low - we already know!

Best: NOrth Texas S2000 Autocross season - these guys continue to offer the best "bang for the buck" in North Texas autocrossing, and the camaraderie, course layouts, and competition is a blast. Can't wait for next season's expanded schedule.

Worst: Well, Texas Region SCCA has had a lot of problems this season. However, next season looks to be a dramatic improvement, with the upcoming registration changes, and the possibility (that I'm pushing for) of putting Mineral Wells back on the event schedule.*

* - By the way, if you're interested in seeing this happening (instead of running once at the road course, three times in the Bus Lot, and five times at Pennington next season, please help me in making this happen by showing up to the Texas Region planning meeting in January!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

Favorite Club: I think we already know the answer to that one

Favorite Location: Bus Lot for less travel time and MW for the speed!

Least Favorite Location: Pennington, bit small

Personal Best: Shaving 1 full second on my last run on Victoracers to best Gregg Lee on Hoosiers - May NTS2KOC autocross

Worst Performance: Choosing the right side of the optional wall on each and every run, duh - November NTS2KOC autocross

Tricks Learned: How to get a wheel lock off with a hammer

Thanks for a great year guys!
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

I just have to watch you guys every second, don't I?!?! Sorry, TC, I looked around before I said it and didn't see your wife anywhere..
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

I don't think my opinion qualifies being that I'm a greenhorned rookie... but I have to say that I love Mineral Wells for the size!

Personal Best - Just waking up in time to make it to MW!

Quote Originally Posted by rjosey8385

I just have to watch you guys every second, don't I?!?! Sorry, TC, I looked around before I said it and didn't see your wife anywhere..
    What happens in Mineral Wells stays in Mineral Wells!

Welcome to the forum!

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

What happens in Mineral Wells stays in Mineral Wells!

Welcome to the forum!
    So, what you're saying is that I shouldn't say anything about the time we spent on the corner together this weekend - ok......

Yeh, normally what happens west of Weatherford stays there (a throwback to my summers at Possum Kingdom ); however, TC went all the way to Ft. Worth with me Oops! I did it again!

Best Limited = S2K AX, with the limited number of participants and 8 runs these guy have the best AX going in N. Texas!

Best Unlimited = Equipe Rapide, these guys put on a great AX, and put more cars on course than any other unlimited club in North Texas. They ran virtually trouble free all season! Nice job guys!
    ^^ I agree (I see we have all of the really important beer-drinking Emoticons, but I'm missing the "I AGREE" Emoticon).
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Worst of 2004.
    Kumho 710 recall.
    They should have recalled the 700's that where bad too.

Best of 2004
    Kumho support on 710 recall. (except John B. treatment)
    3 sets of tires for the price of one.

Getting lucky winning the Houston Tour due to rain. Note on V710's.

and the very best.....
    dwfmiata.com website and forum

So many cars, so little time. - RIP

Best: A club not mentioned here. LSBMWCCA. Nothing like going into a 6 cone slalom at triple digits.

Best #2: The S2000 club. Already fully discussed.

Best #3: E.R. A really fun big entry club with a great E.O.Y. party.

Worst: The other club of the four that I belong to. Let's just say that it's a WIP (work in progress).

Worst #2: My head gasket blowing German car. Clovis, that's why I wasn't at Saturday's S2000 event. But it'll be "all better" by the end of this week.
    Jim H.

Personal Best, beating all the miatas on race tires, with one on street tires,

Best club, Duh.

Worst Club, for me that would have to be ER, that is because it was the only other event I went to besides S2k events. It was a great event though.

Personal worst... wasnt really one that I can come up with, I had a great time all year. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year, hopefully I can play in MiataR next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Personal worst... wasnt really one that I can come up with, I had a great time all year. I look forward to seeing everyone again next year, hopefully I can play in MiataR next time.
    What about the time your mommy forgot to put your jacket on?

Yeah, that one I guess would do it. Was that the first S2k of the season? It is always fun to look like a kid who signed up for the miracle tree a week late...

Man, I leave town for a few days and the good topics get discussed...

I have to agree that most SCCA events this year have SUCKED!
    ER has done one hell of a job in getting their act together, but it took awhile. The new equipment purchased over the past couple of years has helped, but they had a few growing pains in the process. Still, the last events at MW was the best events of the 25 or so I have participated in this year, and SCCA could learn some lessons. Iian, I agree, and have made it known that I would like to see more SCCA events return to MW.
    The SCCA trailer party/Jan. meeting will be held at my house this year, and I encourage everyone to attend and discuss this stuff. Oh yeah, the club will provide food and refreshments and I guarantee it will be a much better trailer party/meeting than has been the norm for the past few years...
    Exact date and time will be published in the very near future...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"