Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pissed and semi-stuck

Default pissed and semi-stuck

ok, i bit off more than i should on a solo job. i'm one corner into a shock swap, and this spring compressor is too long to clear the upper control arm. any chance someone is interested in some free beer and a few bucks to come lend a hand? im down in desoto, of course, the opposite side of town from 90% of y'all. on the upside, the CC Cross Band is playng about a mile from here, and the Martin Bros. are good friends of mine and will be playing with her, and i can get us all in free if we finish this...(massive bribery)
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Did you remove the shock from the car?

oh yes.
    Polished Turd Racing

problem lies in figuring a way to get the spring back in compressed w/o using these too-long strut compressors. Bailing wire probably sint strong enough? Plus the shock of releasing the spring tension all at once is also a bad idea, i presume.
    Polished Turd Racing

Post a photo. How is it hitting the control arm off the car?

the threaded rod extends down too far and hits the upper arm, so i cant move the strut around to position it. ill try to get a photo. on toyotas, i was able to reassemble the strut off the car, then put it back, but didnt have the upper arm to put the shock through
    Polished Turd Racing

should i assemble the strut, then put it back on the car?
    Polished Turd Racing

to clarify, it is hitting the arm when i try to put the spring on the strut while the the strut is inserted into the lower shock mount/control arm
    Polished Turd Racing

yes, and some on mx5miata.net
    Polished Turd Racing

You should assemble the strut and spring as a unit off the car.

never mind, same thing
    Polished Turd Racing

ok. if i remove using the a-arm long bolt method, will i need to realign before i can drive it?
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Bailing wire probably sint strong enough?

I rented a spring compressor from O'Reilly's when I did my shocks.

EDIT: Crap they close at 8
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

no, ive got the oreillys spring compressor...problem is clearance. im now losening the upper a-arm longbolt
    Polished Turd Racing

omg!! this is a breeze with the a-arm long bolt removed. Thanks! hope my alignment isnt screwed, but planning to get it aligned after the new sway bar and steering rack goes on in a few weeks.
    Polished Turd Racing

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I have changed all four shocks all by myself, twice. I really like the long bolt method. If I was close enough, I would come help, but Google Maps says its about 95 miles to beautiful downtown DeSoto from my humble abode.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Default this makes the rears easy for one person.

Miata jack!
    Attached Images Attached Images

gracias to all. I've done this a ton of times on other cars, so it shouldn't have stumped me, but it did. Smooth sailing now...front is finished, on to the rear (thats what she said...)
    Polished Turd Racing

alignment should be ok. but get it checked if you are lowering the car it will change. see aj at ntb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast