Thread: KYB feedback

Default KYB feedback

OK, so I think the junkyard Bilsteins I've been using for the last year and a half are going soft on me. I think I may be buying a new set of shocks this off-season.

I know the conventional Stock-class wisdom would suggest just buying a set of Konis and being done with it, but I'm hesitant to do that for two reasons. First, I've had mixed luck with the last three sets of Konis I've owned. Second, I'm not a member of Team Cheap Bastard for nothing.

So, instead of forking out almost $600 for a new set of Konis, I'm thinking of going with a set of new KYB AGXs instead. I know that there are a few people on this board using them, and I'd love to hear your feedback, especially you NB owners using them with stock springs. OzCop, if you read this I'd also love to hear your input, as I understand that there are a few local STSers using AGXs to pretty good effect as well. Granted, STS use doesn't exactly translate to a Stock Miata, but I'm curious why they would have chosen AGXs over Konis, if you know the answer.

Like 'em? Hate 'em? What would you buy in my place (Konis, AGXs, or another set of Bilsteins), and why? Keep in mind that this is for shocks only - I intend to keep the car in C Stock for at least another season.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

My previous Civic Si had them when I got it, and Wayne has kept them. My personal opinion is that Koni has nothing on them unless you go with a custom valved set as opposed to off the shelf. Wayne's car was/is everybit as fast as Terranovas Civic was, and his Konis were special built, custom valved, and shortened, plus his car was the lighter 89 variety. I would not hesitate to get a set of AGX's, especially at half the price of Konis. I like Konis, but I think on cars with wishbone suspension, the AGX is just as good...just my 2cents...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

I have 'em on the 92 B&T with the stock springs... Got 'em set at 4 front/5 rear... and they work great.

Best part: $329 shipped to my door.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

i love my agx's
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I have a set on my car, but with FM springs, so I cant comment there. As far as ride, on 1 they are caddy smooth (ok maybe not that good, but they arent bad) On 4 they are very hard. They have had great reliability. I say this because on my eclipse the rod was too long and would tear something and cause them too leak. I have no such problem on the Miata. Lifetime warranty is a plus. Any KYB dealer should be able to help you. I got mine for 306 shipped off ebay. Cant beat that.

When I was doing research for my Sport springs, I was looking at the KYB shocks. Everybody (retailers) told me that those shocks would not work with the Sport springs. But since then I've read somewhere, ?, that they work fine.
    I think FM has been installing this combination. Better to find out for sure.

I have the KYB/AGX with Ground Controls. Bought the setup second hand for a song. They've done me well. Shuhart1 had a chance to drive my car at the Ranch and commented on how well my car handled.

Also have F/R JR Sways and had Azenis at the time.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Default Re: KYB feedback

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ...I know the conventional Stock-class wisdom would suggest just buying a set of Konis and being done with it, but I'm hesitant to do that for two reasons...
    Some things you don't want to be cheap on. That is the difference between being a "CB" and a Wise old CB.

The day you get beat at a Solo2 and you know that the car had more in it but the shocks limited you... You will be kicking yourself on the way home saying I should have bought the Koni's. You spend over $1000 a year to autocross. Get the most out of the car. 2nd place sucks!

Good-Win Racing Price reference.

Default Re: KYB feedback

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    ...I know the conventional Stock-class wisdom would suggest just buying a set of Konis and being done with it, but I'm hesitant to do that for two reasons...
    Some things you don't want to be cheap on. That is the difference between being a "CB" and a Wise old CB.

The day you get beat at a Solo2 and you know that the car had more in it but the shocks limited you... You will be kicking yourself on the way home saying I should have bought the Koni's. You spend over $1000 a year to autocross. Get the most out of the car. 2nd place sucks!

Good-Win Racing Price reference.
    Aren't the Bilstiens cheaper than the G-W price for the KYB's?

Joe.Miata has a good point. You have done well on the Bilstiens. Why not get a new set of Bilstiens? At Nationals I don't think I saw a single car with KYB shocks in the CS grid. That should say something.

General, I appreciate the wisdom. However, I've had hit or miss luck with Konis in the past. I've owned three sets, and I've ended up with leaky shocks in two of those sets, both within a year of purchase.

In addition, I've done plenty of reading on the board about how Konis are better than KYBs, often from some well known names in Solo. But you know what? I can't find a single post where any of those well known names in Solo have actually tried the KYBs. I know that Koni makes a good product, but I wonder if their dominance in the grids at Nationals is more due to the lemming effect and their support of the sport (like free revalving at Nationals) than any overwhelming product superiority.

As for the Bilsteins... they have done me well, but I'd like to try something different. I'll be holding on to the ones I've got - who knows? Maybe I'll send 'em off and have them revalved to Wooton specs. Heck, for the price of a set of Konis, I could buy a set of KYBs and have the Bilsteins revalved.

Besides, at $300 shipped for a set of brand new Ebay KYBs, if I don't like 'em I figure I can turn around and sell them for $200, and I'm out $100 and a few hours of my time under the car for the experiment. That's a reasonable price to pay, in my opinion... and it's not like the shocks are the primary thing holding my car back anyway.

I am concerned about the fitment question, so I'm going to try to get a definitive answer on that.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

...In addition, I've done plenty of reading on the board about how Konis are better than KYBs, often from some well known names in Solo. But you know what? I can't find a single post where any of those well known names in Solo have actually tried the KYBs. I know that Koni makes a good product, but I wonder if their dominance in the grids at Nationals is more due to the lemming effect and their support of the sport (like free revalving at Nationals) than any overwhelming product superiority.

As for the Bilsteins... they have done me well, but I'd like to try something different. I'll be holding on to the ones I've got - who knows? Maybe I'll send 'em off and have them revalved to Wooton specs. Heck, for the price of a set of Konis, I could buy a set of KYBs and have the Bilsteins revalved...
    Well I do have to agree on the lemming effect. If Telehowski was using them I bet there would be a big switch from Koni especially if he still won.

I am just passing on my thoughts and experiences with using GAB's. I have had two cars with them and I liked the shocks. But I also understand their limits as compared to Koni's. The GAB's where simple to setup and adjust for each site.

I have had unhappy experiences with Koni shocks but I think that was ProParts issue and not the shock it's self.

I will be using Koni in 2005. Heck I am suggesting you use them and I have not even tried them on a 99' Miata yet. It is your car do what you want. Like you say you have a great back up plan.

Don't take me the wrong way General, I do appreciate your input. You've got a lot more experience setting up cars and going fast than I do. I'm not sold on the KYBs yet, but I'm not sold on the Konis, either.

Mind if I ask what Konis you're planning on using on '05? Do you still have the 30 Series off the yellow car, or are you trying something different?

If money weren't as big an issue, I'd probably order a set of Predator-valved Koni Sports and go from there. Unfortunately, money is an issue for me, as always. I'm just not sold on off-the-shelf Koni Sports, and I can't afford to buy a set only to turn around and have them revalved.
    Iain

Mind if I ask what Konis you're planning on using on '05? Do you still have the 30 Series off the yellow car, or are you trying something different?

If money weren't as big an issue, I'd probably order a set of Predator-valved Koni Sports and go from there. Unfortunately, money is an issue for me, as always. I'm just not sold on off-the-shelf Koni Sports, and I can't afford to buy a set only to turn around and have them revalved.
    I don't have the 30 series any more. I am thinking about the Predator setup. Like you I just want to try something different.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger tonight on a set of AGXs. I bought a set on ebay for $298.99 shipped.

We'll see how they work out!
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Well, I decided to pull the trigger tonight on a set of AGXs. I bought a set on ebay for $298.99 shipped.

We'll see how they work out!
    Not to poop on your parade, but....

KYB AGX Adjustable Gas Shocks will fit 1999 to 2001 Mazda Miata (MX5) All "Exc. Sports Package",

I think the spring mounts are different IIRC.

Yeah, I spoke with Keith from FM about that. He said he can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work with the Sport package stuff. I guess we'll find out when the shocks get here.

If they don't work, then you might score a Cheap Bastard set of unused AGXs for your new '99, Sammm.
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If they don't work, then you might score a Cheap Bastard set of unused AGXs for your new '99, Sammm.
    Sweet!