Thread: Wiring (Treil Drei)

Default Wiring (Treil Drei)

A continuation - Part Duex

So I picked up a wiring harness out of a '92 (we think) from MadMerv and just finished installing it. It fixed my wiper issues but I still don't have a tach or other gauges. Besides driving me batty, perhaps I now have a bad gauge cluster?! Is this possible? Is there someone who has another gauge pod so I can test mine?

Can you get these symptoms if the ignition switch is dying?

Gauges don't work unless the key is turned on. Just a though and relatively easy to test.

If it's the cause of the problem then you can also try to clean the ignition switch before you replace it...

Instructions are on the board.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Can you get these symptoms if the ignition switch is dying?

Gauges don't work unless the key is turned on. Just a though and relatively easy to test.
    I must be breathing fumes... I'm afraid I don't follow. Test how?

OK Bean,

Looking at the wiring diagram (page 5) for the car, I see a blue wire coming off the ignition switch.

This feeds both the Meter fuse and the Engine fuse.

So it appears that if you had a bad connection there that you would have a de-engergized main relay too and the car wouldn't start.

Do you have 12v to the gauges on pin 2K (Blk-Yel wire) and ground on pin 2J (Blk wire)? This is on page 6 of the wiring diagram.

If you are missing the 12v then there ya go... that wire traces back to the Meter fuse in the fuse box and then back to the ignition switch. Maybe you have a bad connection on the back of the fuse box or a broken wire between the ignition switch and the fuse box?

If you have the ground... and you are sure it's good (check continuity to a known good chassig ground) then you have a broken instrument cluster.

Did you take the instrument cluster apart? Did the plastic circuit board in the cluster break or fold over where it doesn't contact the plugs from the wiring harness?

The ONLY things those gauges have in common per the schematic are the power and ground wires.

If the car is drivable, then bring the car over to my h00d on Friday and we can check those pieces of wiring out. Hell, if the instrument cluster is b0rked we might be able to fix it too.

Edit: after reading your other post, I'm willing to bet it's the 12v lead that is missing... it powers the warning indicator lights too.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!