Thread: M3/3rd Gen Issues

Default M3/3rd Gen Issues

We're looking at a PRHT 2009 for Sharon's daily driver. I've been over on the big board but there is so much bling clutter on the M3 section that searching has grown tiring. Anyone on the local board know of any first hand issues with the latest generation aside from it's not a M1 or M2? We're not looking at a car at any of the FTW dealers for what it is worth.

Steve E

I thought you were talking about an E46 at first. I think the common nomenclature around here is NA/NB/NC.

No real issues that I know of, but I'm no expert. Anyone?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    We're looking at a PRHT 2009 for Sharon's daily driver. I've been over on the big board but there is so much bling clutter on the M3 section that searching has grown tiring. Anyone on the local board know of any first hand issues with the latest generation aside from it's not a M1 or M2? We're not looking at a car at any of the FTW dealers for what it is worth.

Steve E

Loved my NC, had not a single issue in 60k miles. It was the only new car that I never had to take back to the dealer for something. Plus it was fun to AutoX. If it had cruise control, I might still have it.

I have not heard of any reasons not to buy one. If you want a daily Miata, it is hard to beat the NC hard top. I think it would be a very good choice, but you'll end up wanting to throw on some coilovers and go to STR. I warned ya.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I thought you were talking about an E46 at first. I think the common nomenclature around here is NA/NB/NC.

No real issues that I know of, but I'm no expert. Anyone?
    Been around these cars a long time and never made the transition to NA/NB/NC/ND nomenclature. Still retain the terms from back in the text days of the interwizzle bulliten boards. (there was a time before pictures kiddies)

As far as putting coilovers on it.... I did insist that she get the limited slip for inclement weather....

It's a Miata.

It has no big issues other than being called gay all the time.

I'd buy it.
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

NA NB NC come from the first two letters of the VINs.

I have an 06 that has been quite fun and dependable. I did have the clutch shatter on me but it turns out to be a very, very rare occurance.

The only thing I would say is a "must have mod" is to put Eibach Prokit springs on it even if it's a daily driver that never sees an autocross or track event. The car rides smoother due to nature of progressive springs. It is not only lower with less ugly wheel gap but also handles better and affords you more camber on your alignment if you want it. One thing to consider, it used to be that the factory limited slip came with the "sport suspension" package which included Bilstein shocks. They don't match up with the Eibach (or Mazdaspeed) springs as well as the standard black Tockico shocks.

If you should do track events with the car, you may be excluded from some tracks if they reject the factory roll bars. At this time there are no aftermarket roll bars for the power retractable hard tops.

One last thing about PRHTs is that many people complained about reverb or droning with the top up and any exhaust mods done.