Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texas National Tour March 27/28

The Run/Work order posted on the Texas Region webpage is the official one received from the National Office as of this morning.

Not sure why the haven't posted it on the National website!?

The schedule they have posted is correct except it doesn't show the Saturday dinner/party.
    The Saturday dinner/party sponsored by Cobb Tuning will be from 5:30pm to 9pm.

There is a Test & Tune on Friday from 11am to 3pm. Ticket sales for runs will be from 11 to 2 at the Texas Region trailer.

Looks like we finally caught a break on the weather! A little cool in the mornings but it looks like sunshine all weekend!

See ya in Mineral Wells!
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Too bad I'm broke lol. What's the cost to come out and watch? :) I live about 5 mins from the site.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Free to spectate. Come on out!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Uploading pics from today. I know some of ya'll won't see this till Monday but if anyone sees a picture you want just let me know and I'll send the full res pic. All pics were taken with a Nikon D40

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...&id=1416956060
    Last edited by jeepinbanditrider; 03-27-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLWsJUcwAYo

There ya go. Not the best quality uploaded to youtube but as long as you don't watch it full screen it works. The pics are from Saturday the vids are from Sunday
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

I think that was the cleanest (gavel-wise) that I have ever seen MW. It was incredible -- no gravel! Mark Berry and his guys put a ton of work into making it that way and my hat's off to them. Great job! I look forward to this kind of presentation for our regional events there, too.

Great job for the entire Texas Region staff. The event was fun and everything appeared to be a success. Too bad my driving was not as successful.

I really look forward to the Divs where we get all of the fun of the Tours, but without the National politics!

Man the Texas Region did an awsome job with the event and Mark Berry and his course cleaners really deserve a round of applause!

My only sugestion for future events would be to have less wind.

The event really was a ton of fun!

Thanks again jrj512 for letting me be your tire warmer!

Kudos to Texas Region for running an excellent event! Big thanks to Mark Berry and everyone else who helped clean the surface at Mineral Wells – in twelve years of autocrossing, that was THE best I have ever seen that surface. It was absolutely gravel free all weekend, and a real treat to drive on. Big thanks as well to Greg Piper for designing a pair of awesome courses – those were some of the longest and best flowing courses I’ve ever run at a National event, and they were a definite treat to drive this weekend.

STX was a lot of fun, and very competitive all weekend. We had six different types of cars (E30 M3, E36, WRX, VW R32, Celica All-Trac, RX-8 ) on five different brands of tires in class. After we scrambled to fix the front sway bar with duct tape after the practice event (long story), the car worked really well all weekend long. I was sitting in 1st at the end of Day 1 and miatamoto was in 3rd. Unfortunately, I coned my first run on Day 2, and ran a little too conservatively on the other two runs, and slipped down to second place, .190 seconds behind eventual winner Jerry Irvine in a BMW E30 M3. Miatamoto held on to 3rd place, so we took two of the 4 trophy spots in the car. Not too bad, although we would have preferred a 1-2 finish.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Jerrett

heard your car quit just after leaving the event

what's the story?
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    Jerrett

heard your car quit just after leaving the event

what's the story?
    In a word, Mick.

No, really, it ran fine leaving the event, but it started sputtering and not creating any power immediately after filling it with gas. I needed to take it to Rogue at Miata Solutions this week for some other work, so I just used a free AAA tow to get it to him a few days early. My best guess it that it was bad gas or a clogged fuel filter from said gas or possible the gas can we used at the event.

what station did you buy gas?
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    what station did you buy gas?
    Corner #5

As great as this past event was, unfortunately it now sets an expectation level that will keep you guys working hard! I've only been to MW a number of times and each time it has destroyed my tires because of how rough and gravely it is. Y'all did an exceptional job cleaning the surface and keeping the gravel away, it was simply incredible.

Thanks again :)

Dan

Great event guys, the event site was wonderful, grip was great. I will be back to MW for sure. Jerrett, sorry to hear about your car issues, hope its nothing to bad. Hope to see yall at the divisional in Baton Rouge!!!

Kerry Coughlin
    91 STS
    Last edited by kcoughlin; 03-29-2010 at 07:39 PM.

+1000 That place was SPOTLESS!!! Awesome grip..

JJ where's the pic of my neweset cardboard mod on the miata? :)

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I think that was the cleanest (gavel-wise) that I have ever seen MW. It was incredible -- no gravel! Mark Berry and his guys put a ton of work into making it that way and my hat's off to them. Great job! I look forward to this kind of presentation for our regional events there, too.

Great job for the entire Texas Region staff. The event was fun and everything appeared to be a success. Too bad my driving was not as successful.

I really look forward to the Divs where we get all of the fun of the Tours, but without the National politics!
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Driver

Stickers make you faster!

Of course, drifting and cones make you slower

street tires don't help either
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

The place is usually so rough and gravely because it hasn't received ANY maint. past what the various race groups have done to since the Army bailed out of Mineral Wells back in the seventies. Not to mention the locals here tend to use it for stupid stuff like fires for some unknown reason directly on the ground. Lots of trash gets thrown out there. I've heard the city gets like 500 for every event out there. If that's tre they are most likely pocketing it. They aren't paying anything on that land they just took it over from the Army when they left. Heck the Army is why the place and the airport exist in the first place, and why MW has things like a golf course.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by miata_racer View Post
    JJ where's the pic of my neweset cardboard mod on the miata? :)
    She's a peach...

Attached Images Attached Images

That is awesome :)
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast