Thread: HDSDD Install This Sunday

Default HDSDD Install This Sunday

The rollbar goes in this Sunday. I confess: with the recent discussions of exploding seatbelt pretensioners and accidentally-cut wires, I'm a little spooked. I installed a HDHCDD in my 2000 about four years ago, but that car didn't have ABS, and there were no wires involved.

Does anybody have any "wish I had done this" suggestions? Is there a particularly good write up on the Sport that anyone can point to? Any and all comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

S.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

As I mentioned in the other thread. If I were doing an install, I would ignore the instructions to modify the retractor harness. The worst thing that could happen is that you will decide to do it later.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Be sure to pay your respects to the Miata gods.

Yes, I installed an alter to the Miata gods (in the form of a gigantic MAZDASPEED banner) in the garage this weekend, hoping to appease them.

S.

I'm hoping to get my bar sometime this week. They've taken forever to ship it because of the free shipping that go miata had around christmas. I might try to install mine this weekend.

Yah, I missed the free shipping deal. Ironically, mine shipped the day after I ordered it. Hmmmm....

S.

Did you order it from GoMiata.com? If so, really big hmmmm.

you've got an MSM, right? FWIW, I just remounted my windblock with speakers in mine this weekend.. (with teh rollbar) It just required redrilling the two mounting holes for the windblock.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    I'm hoping to get my bar sometime this week. They've taken forever to ship it because of the free shipping that go miata had around christmas. I might try to install mine this weekend.
    You 2 should get together, it's a lot more fun to work together and get both bars installed.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Please help!

UPDATE: The install did NOT get finished today. Very frustrating. The bar is in the car, but I still need to drill most of the holes.

QUESTION: with the holes for the rear supports, how the heck do you do the drilling? I can't reach them at all with the top down, which means top up drilling, which means limited mobility. With the top up, I can pretty much only drill one of the holes, which isn't enough to align the blacking plate properly from underneath.

QUESTION 2: The ABS line hole is so close to one of the holes for the rear supports that I'm going to have to simply widen that hole. That means the bolt won't fit snug in the hole (there will be some play). This seems wrong to me, but I can't figure out how else to do it.

I am tremendously frustrated right now. I broke three small trim pieces and countless upholstery buttons, all of which will have to be replaced. My jack slipped as I was cranking it, resuling in some minorly scratched paint, and the drilling is proving quite frustrating.

If anyone knows what they're doing more than me, and can spare Monday or Tuesday evening, I'm probably at the point where someone with more experience should intervene. I can offer a case of beer, my undying gratitude, and your choice of music as we work.

If no one is available, help with the above questions would go a long ways.

Thanks in advance,

S.

Those things can be bears going in...

I put my HDHCHTDD in by myself and used a 12'" long 3/8" drill bit... it really helps to have that or an angle drill.

I can't speak for the ABS lines, but once you've torqued the bolts down, they won't be going anywhere.

Like 3frijole said, the long drill bit, and the top up, but not latched with the seats out is the best way. I have a small scar over my eye from that. The bit caught and the drill kept going and caught me in the eye.

Edit: THe oval hole wont be bad once the bolt is tight.

Just make sure to put something on those fresh metal edges to keep the rust monster at bay...

Also, what color is your interior? I posted some NA Freebies... including some of those buttons (Tan color!) that hold the carpet in...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

make sure to get the cables that release the fuel door and trunk out of the way, i pinched my trunk cable, so i have to use the key now.
    i also spray painted the bolts and plates on the underside of the car generously with spraypaint to prevent corrosion and rust.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    I also spray painted the bolts and plates on the underside of the car generously with spraypaint to prevent corrosion and rust.
    Better yet, you can find rubberized undercoating at Vatozone for cheap.

Thanks for the good advice. Yes, Drills Gone Wild does make me a little nervous. Cutting spray has been helping. I'll stop by Peep Boyz and get some spray for the undercoating. I THINK we managed to avoid all the cables, but damn did it take some doing. My wife is a very patient helper. I also cut way too much of the sheet metal the make room for the rear supports. No big deal. I'll get some hard plastic to put over the holes. I don't remember the HDHCDD being this hard, but that was four years ago, and I was working with somebody who had done an install the prior weekend, so it's a bit of a blur.

I disconnected the battery (exploding seatbelt pretensioners made me nervous). We shall see whether my Bose radio has to be reprogrammed once the power's back up.

You guys are wonderful. I really appreciate all the prompt advice and support. I was thinking some pretty dark thoughts as I drove to Home Depot in the rain to buy a floor jack just now.

S.

WE'VE GOT BUSH! The bar is in the car, as are all interior trim panels (cut in half ), seats, and lower carpet. All that's left is the rear parcel shelf carpet, which I am taking to an automotive upholstery shop to have professionally done. My sewing skills are about as good as my figure skating skills, and I was perpetually dissatisfied with the unfinished look of the carpet after my HC install on the '00. This time, I'm leaving it to the professionals at Ray's Auto Trim, which is only 4 miles from my house.

S.

PS: The best part? *knock on wood* No CELs or ABS lights!

Congratulations!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw