Thread: Pictures of the ceramic coated header

Default Pictures of the ceramic coated header

I picked up the Rod Millen 1.6 header from Paul, and I had a fresh ceramic coating put on:

Well, I started tonight by trying to get the heat shield off the old one so I could start soaking bolts. All of the bolts are off the heat shield, but I can't seem to maneuver it out. I think I am going to have to take the intake box out to get the heat shield out. Is that right, or am I missing something? I took a break to post pics and eat dinner, so I will be heading back out there in a few.

OK... well I got tired of screwing with it, so I pulled the air box out to get it out. The bolts just got a good soaking of liquid wrench. I will repeat tomorrow night.

Ugg. It just occurred to me that I should probably have soaked the bolts between the cat and the downpipe too. Jacking the car up just to spray some bolts. YUCK.

Sammm? You got your pictures. You happy now?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Yes, yes I am! Still waiting on the pics from Jigger's honeymoon though!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I told you that would cost you! (I take PayPal)

That header looks alot better than when I sold it to ya How is the seat working out?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I told you that would cost you! (I take PayPal)
    Whats your account, I take up a "offering" and send it to you. I have 2 pennies from monkey and a nickle from me so far.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Header looks great. Who did the work? BTW if you don't have and air ratchet.....installing a header would be a great time to get one and break it in

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    That header looks alot better than when I sold it to ya How is the seat working out?
    The seat is great.. I moved my speakers over into it, and I'm using it as my everyday seat. I then pulled the foam out of my old one to allow me to sit a little lower for track events. I think I still need to take some more out if I ever want to get away with hitting the track without the hardtop. The helmet seems to stick up more than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Whats your account, I take up a "offering" and send it to you. I have 2 pennies from monkey and a nickle from me so far.
    It's gonna take at least two-fitty!

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    Header looks great. Who did the work? BTW if you don't have and air ratchet.....installing a header would be a great time to get one and break it in
    I had it done by THIS GUY. He does it out of his garage off of Marsh Lane. Being a home business, he is always there. Everyone else I tried to call had inconvenient M-F 9-5 hours, or wouldn't even return my call. This guy let me drop it off on Saturday evening, and pick it up Tuesday after work.

As for the air ratchet, I first need to get up and going with a compressor. My father-in-law just bought a new one and said I could have his old one, but it is in California at the moment. They are moving out here, but won’t be here until April. I guess I will have to go it by hand.

I have one you can borrow... and I'm not too far from you. Do you have a way to get it home?

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    I have one you can borrow... and I'm not too far from you. Do you have a way to get it home?

RJ
    We can talk when I come by tonight for the shiny thingy.

Here is another question for ya'll... What does the OEM Header gasket look like on a 1.6? I went to Town North Mazda last night, and the computer really had the parts guy scratching his head. The blowup showed 2 gaskets, each with its own part number. When he pulled them off the shelf, one was 3 pieces of metal, pressed together, and the second was a single layer of metal. Together this would make 4 layers. The parts guy was thinking that perhaps the 3 piece one replaced the layering, but the numbers matched. I picked up both, and figured I could return one if it looked like it wasn't needed once I see the old one.

Side note: Use caution when asking for the Track Dog Racing discount. He wanted to add on 50% for knowing Gary!

Shop manual shows two gaskets...

Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Shop manual shows two gaskets...

Yep... that is what the pic on his computer showed, but his had part numbers. Each gasket with it's own number.

That means you use both of them...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    That means you use both of them...
    Ya think?

The stock header is out. I can't imagine how I would have done it without RJ's compressor! Seperating the stock header from the downpipe would have been imposible. Even after soaking the bolts several times with PB Blaster, one of the bolts took several minutes at 80 psi to break loose. It is out now, and the new header has been test fitted. I marked a spot for Gary to weld in a bung for the Wide Band, and I am now going to take the header over to him. It is very frustrating to know I will need to fight that thing in a second time. Ugg.

As for the gaskets, the stock had a 3 layer gasket spot welded to make it one. I guess I will be returning part of what TownNorth sold me.