Thread: BMW Autox Sat March 12th

Default BMW Autox Sat March 12th

Anyone going? They apparently give you 8 runs. Are they good? I'd be "X" category - with no newbie designator - which is alarming!

(Won't be at the next ER autox, it's only two weeks from the last and I don't want to miss church that often)
    "Get to Heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead"

www.myspace.com/theelectrics

I would, but we'll be partying with friends in Austin that weekend.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwizz
    Are they good?
    The BMW group does put on a pretty good event, and a number of us "Miata Pilots" used to participate fairly frequently. In fact, my first AX event was a BMW event, and that's where I first met POS Racing, altiain, Majik, JRW and lugnutjohn (15JUN2002). POS took me under his wing and showed me all the ropes to an AX event. altiain and Majik both took me on rides before my first run and showed me what a Miata could really do. I would have never pushed my car that hard if I hadn't ridden with them first.

BMW events are nearly always run at Mineral Wells, and you do get 8 nice long runs. Their courses are typically pretty good, but they do have a reputation for putting in a gimmick spot or two... things that mess up an otherwise nicely flowing course. At least that's been my experience. The number of participants is typically 50 or so, not the 120+ that you get at ER and SCCA events.

There are a couple of sticking points to BMW events that various MME folks have noticed. First of all, you need to be a member of the BMW club in order to run in their events. I think they allow you one "non-member" event, but after that you have to join. As I understand it, this is due to insurance company requirements (allows them to get lower rates).

Another "point of contention" that some folks have observed is a slightly lax attitude toward safety in the paddock. Nothing alarming, but they don't seem to be too concerned with car speeds in the paddock area. This may have changed since I witnessed a BMW M Coupe roar through the paddock several years ago...

All in all, I'd say the BMW club puts on a nice event -- not as good as our friends in the S2000 club, but an event worth going to nonetheless. The only real reason I haven't been attending their events is that I can't go to every AX event in the area... my family would like to see me every once in a while too! So I run Equipe Rapide events and S2000 events and fill in with others as my schedule allows.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Where are they holding it? I might go just to watch if it's a nice sunny day and anywhere close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Where are they holding it...
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    BMW events are nearly always run at Mineral Wells...
    Try to keep up Sparky!

Just giving you a hard time. The BMW events -- including this one -- are typically held at the Airpark in Mineral Wells. If you are driving into Mineral Wells from the east on 180, take a left at the new Best Western. That should be FM1195. Travel south for about 2 miles and you'll come to the Airpark on your left. You'll need to wind your way to the back of the airpark, to an abandoned helicopter landing area... just look for all the purdy cars.

For real information on local events, check out the DFWMiata.com Event Calendar. You'll notice the date, sponsoring club and place of a ton of events.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Damn, I've already used up my one-dumbass-question for this month. I'll have to watch that!