Thread: STS2/STC - The search for the "Street" tuned (not

Default STS2/STC - The search for the "Street" tuned (not

This post was moved from this thread by a moderator. That's why my post begins with "No, I won't be making BMW events this year..."

--------------------------

No, I won't be making it to BMW events this year (or PCA, for that matter). I just can't go to every event and remain married... oh... wait a minute...

No... I just can't do that.

I plan to run all ER, SCCA, and NTS2KOC events this year that I can, and stay out of the BMW and PCA AXs. But I'll tell you this -- I am starting to get tired of the 200+ car events and the strict classing rules which make me jump through hoops just to prep my car to the same level as my competition . I thought ST2 was going to rescue my interest in SCCA, but alas, in their infinite wisdom they've disallowed my car from that class* .

Next year, I may give up SCCA in favor of BMW and/or PCA events, but that's a decision for next year.

-------------------------------

* And before anyone says it, Tire Class is not a good alternative. ST2 allows for modification of the car to levels somewhere between Stock and Street Prepared... the level a lot of people (including me) want to go to. Tire Class has the same restrictions as normal classing (Stock, SP, etc), it just further restricts your tire choices...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

There is another alternative...

If we gather a number (probably 5) of like-minded Miata pilots, there's no reason we can't run a regional class with Houston's STC rules (or rules of our own making). I suppose we could even go for a "run what ya brung" Miata class.

I'm willing to support such a venture, but my primary goal over the next 12 months or so is to make my ride "feel" like I want it to and improve my driving.

Next year, I may give up SCCA in favor of BMW and/or PCA events, but that's a decision for next year.
    Kestrel, You should seriously consider that choice- BMW and PCA events are FUN, not exercises in tax code . Also, if you run the BMW and PCA in lieu of the SCCA and ER events, you would have more free time. They just don't run as many events per year....less stress, more fun.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - if you're primary desire to autocross is for fun, then SCCA/ER events probably aren't where you want to spend most of your precious weekends.

However, if your primary desire to autocross is to improve and learn how to go faster, the competition at SCCA/ER events will help you to do that better than all of the other local PCA/BMWCCA/S2k events combined.

Granted, we've got a lot of similarly prepped Miatas around here, so you'll find some competition at just about any event. But at SCCA/ER events we typically have more competitors in class, plus the benefit of the accessible wisdom of multiple National Champions, etc. I will say this - I know for a fact that my driving has improved more in the last two years by running at SCCA/ER events against stronger competition than all of the non SCCA/ER events I've attended since I went to my first autocross.

The competition at these events - even the Regional ones - tends to be "kicked up a notch" from the other single marque car club events. Now, whether that's important to you or not depends on your priorities. SCCA/ER aren't for everyone... but they do offer some intangible benefits that other events don't.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    The competition at these events - even the Regional ones - tends to be "kicked up a notch" from the other single marque car club events. Now, whether that's important to you or not depends on your priorities. SCCA/ER aren't for everyone... but they do offer some intangible benefits that other events don't.
    Yeah, for all my moaning, I still make all the ER and SCCA events I can. I guess I'm a competition whore , as I like the whole "battle for a year end trophy" thing. I'm sure I'll keep AXing with at least one of the "major groups" (ER and/or SCCA), but I am considering dropping one of them in favor of more fun events like BMW.

But my thinking is about two things:

1) getting in more runs for my money/time (this is where the whole SCCA/ER vs BMW/NTS2KOC/PCA thing comes in), and
    2) being able to set up my car the way I want to, rather than being significantly restricted in what I can and can't do.

Like I said in my earlier post, I was really hoping that ST2 would be the place for me. I don't want to do a lot to my car, but I'd like to be able to put in Sparco Roadster seats (like Trackdog has), a 4 to 1 header, a cold air intake, some bigger/better brakes, and maybe some coilovers (Tien Flexs?). All this would obviously take me out of CS and put me in CSP, a place where I know I can't keep up -- in driving skill or in spending.

Well, tailchaser has a pretty good idea about trying to get a local club -- I guess ER, since I don't think the SCCA will run any non-standard classes -- to allow it. I'll take a look at how solid Houston's STC rules are, and perhaps bring it up at an ER meeting soon. It wouldn't go in this year (of course), but perhaps we can get them to consider it for 2005. Who would run in an STC class if ER set one up?

If I still had my miata at that point I'd run. My '97 has never fit in any specific class, and I would have loved to just compete against other miatas whos mods werent done for a specific class.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    ...Well, tailchaser has a pretty good idea about trying to get a local club -- I guess ER, since I don't think the SCCA will run any non-standard classes -- to allow it. I'll take a look at how solid Houston's STC rules are, and perhaps bring it up at an ER meeting soon...[/color]
    Well, here's a LINK to the Houston ST rules. It's pretty much what I expected, except there are restrictions on the seats that seem to prevent installing Sparco Roadsters . Looks like my only real option is to do what I want to my car, and then run in TCSP...

Looks like my only real option is to do what I want to my car, and then run in TCSP...
    What exactly do you want in a class? ( Please keep it under 250 words otherwise I lose interest )

I love stock class it keeps me from blowing a bunch of cash on mods. I am discouraged that I am not more competitive than I am, but I still fell that the blame doesn’t lie in the car itself it’s more of a driver issue at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    more of a driver issue
    Truer words have never been spoken!

...Well, tailchaser has a pretty good idea about trying to get a local club -- I guess ER, since I don't think the SCCA will run any non-standard classes -- to allow it. I'll take a look at how solid Houston's STC rules are, and perhaps bring it up at an ER meeting soon...[/color]
    Well, here's a LINK to the Houston ST rules. It's pretty much what I expected, except there are restrictions on the seats that seem to prevent installing Sparco Roadsters . Looks like my only real option is to do what I want to my car, and then run in TCSP...
    That would take the fun out of it for me as well. (my momo Start would make me ineligable) I think I may just skip ER and SCCA inthe future and just run with S2K and Porcshe or Bimmer. I just wish they raced at Pennington (The only track I dont have to drive over an hour to get to)
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

FWIW, San Francisco Region or Atlanta or some other Region has adopted a class that's exactly what you're looking for - ST2. It's the exact proposal that the Street Touring 2 ML came up with. It's what I wanted to run for my car, and all Miatas ('cept the MS MX5, so far) are eligible for it. Search the archives there and you should find a full description of it or a link to their site.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What exactly do you want in a class? ( Please keep it under 250 words otherwise I lose interest )
    I want a class that only I can win.

I actually like stock class for the same reason that you do -- keeps me from spending a lot of money on go-fast stuff. But I do want to do a few things to my car to get the most performance out of it without having to run against the likes of Mr. Hollis. No offense to the great one, but I'm just not in his league (or his wife's, for that matter). I'm discouraged enough getting beaten by you guys... spendin' a ton of cash and then getting crushed by Andy just wouldn't be any fun at all!

So I'm looking for a class that allows a few more simple modifications, but doesn't cause me to have to hemorrhage cash just to have a car prepped to an equal level as everyone else’s. Something like... ST2 that allows Sparco Roadster seats!

Including this sentence (but not including your original quote), that’s only 172 words… well under you “interest limit” of 250. :P

I want a class that only I can win.

Just as I thought! Your so pointy :P

… well under you “interest limit” of 250. :P
    What did you say?

173, 174, 175...