Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Rallycross?

Default Why no Rallycross?

I realize this probably belongs in the Motorsports section, but I'm really curious as to the reason that there seems to be no Rallycross scene in North Texas, even though we have an abundance of reasonably-open terrain and plenty of off-road enthusiasts, not to mention autocrosses. Is it just not well-suited to the area, too difficult to organize,or what?

Ive never done it, but it looks like a blast, and maybe even cheaper to build a basic ride from some FWD econobox or an NA on baby dirt tires and some tall springs?

Please enlighten me!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I've been curious of that myself, actually. When wifey is ready for a new car, my plan has been to throw a turbo on her Cobalt, strip it, cage it, and rally it. We're not at that point yet, so I haven't looked into it, but I've noted a distinct lack of any mention of it by anyone in this area. Every other place I've lived it was brought up fairly often, especially upstate NY. So I'd like to know why as well.

Looks fun, but I am not going to rallycross my lowered Miata and I am not going to buy a fifth car.

Brianne, James and another guy named Michael have rental Subarus in AWD and FWD. James doesn't have a north Texas site yet, but College Station isn't too far away.

Check out Texas Rally Sport online and on Facebook for more info.

http://www.texasrallysport.com/

Thx. Am I correct in assuming its basically autocross in a field? Sort of to Rally what autox is to TT?
    Polished Turd Racing

That's pretty much it. The biggest change is that the run times are cumulative. So it doesn't pay to make a hail-Mary run. You instead make your runs at a manageable speed.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Here's a picture of Austin resident Eccles RXing his NC somewhere in the hill country.

(Come to think of it, is this rallycross?)
    Last edited by redmenace; 05-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.

No car, no Rallycross.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    No car, no Rallycross.
    I heard 80K M3's are the best for this purpose.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I heard 80K M3's are the best for this purpose.
    No, they are built to kick your ass like Chuck Norris.
    M3 is always the answer.

Wow! don't think I could bring myself to rallyx the NC, but if I pulled the lift kit off my Jeep and dropped it, then added some low-profile wide tires it'd be perfect, even if the live axles make it a poor competitive choice. Anyone want to codrive???
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    No, they are built to kick your ass like Chuck Norris.
    Is that why your car face palmed at PCA TT?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I think it would be a lot of fun. They used to do this at Cobb Tuning once a month. Ask Majik about RXing - oops I'm not supposed to talk about that...
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    Here's a picture of Austin resident Eccles RXing his NC somewhere in the hill country.

(Come to think of it, is this rallycross?)
    That's actually at "Brianne Corn Raceway" in Maxwell, Texas just south of San Marcos. It's actually the roughest site that James does events on. The TWS site in Bryan, Texas is much smoother.

I've been interested in this myself. I'd be up for trying it when I get home...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Too bad the transmission in my old altima is shot. I'd signup for the RallyChump class and go have some fun before Can Academy comes to haul it off.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

I rally crossed a rental cobalt once in Austin.. It was bauce.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I seriously think I'm going to drop my jeep back to some stock springs on short wide tires and give this a shot. Been a while since I twisted off a u joint!
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I rally crossed a rental cobalt once in Austin.. It was bauce.
    That actually makes me incredibly happy to hear. For some reason the second I get behind the wheel of our Cobalt I just want to jump the thing in the dirt. I always thought it was because it's a cheap Chevy that's got a bunch of ground clearance, but maybe because it has some rally spirit attached to it from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I seriously think I'm going to drop my jeep back to some stock springs on short wide tires and give this a shot. Been a while since I twisted off a u joint!
    Before you do anything, I'd check with organizers, a jeep, even lowered might not be allowed to compete due to rollover risk. That's how it is/was for SCCA in NY anyway. Also, why wide tires? In most rally/cross I've raced in stock or a bit narrower tires were better. I don't know anything about rallycrossing a jeep though, or the dirt conditions around here.

P.S. I <3 rallycross and will buy a second car or sell the miata or one of my arms to do it if there are enough events nearby. I was planning to drive down south to race one of the TRS rentals at their last event but the semester got too busy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast