Thread: Storms

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Exclamation Storms

Everyone OK out there? Looks like Denton county got hit hard.

We got pounded pretty good a few different times. I got hail damage to 3 cars and broken sky lights. I'm sure I'll end up with a new roof too.

The wife and kids were held up in the bathroom with helmets
    on while I watched the news cast for tornado warnings. Sirens were going off for about 30 minutes.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The Farmersville tornado touchdown was about 6 miles north of us, but we didn't even get any rain from that cell. This was the view from our back patio looking north around the time of the tornado:

Default Storms

Yeah that^ was pretty close. We ended up getting some pretty good rain off and on for a few hrs. Pretty crazy how dark it got.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Yeah... news this morning said a tornado touched down about 8 miles west (in Prosper) of us and another one about 6 miles east (In New Hope) of us. At our place we just got torrential rain and about 1/2" hail for about 10-15 minutes. The Collin County Storm Chaser guys freaked my wife out when they broadcast a rotating wall cloud directly over our house. She went and hid in the closet while the sirens went off. It was a bit hairy, but luckily, no damage...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Sharpie, What cars got damaged and how bad? The Honda, MPV and don't say the Miata!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Does the Denton are have a curse or something? It always seems like the worst weather is centered around there.

Check out Throckmorten, TX some time. Back when I lived in Abilene in the 80's, that place was like the "town that God forgot" when it came to getting pounded by whatever weather was in the area. If it was breezy in Abilene, they'd have 80 mph wind and a locust swarm.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Sharpie, What cars got damaged and how bad? The Honda, MPV and don't say the Miata!
    My Civic (doesn't matter), The MPV -sucks cuz' I put liability on it, and was hoping to sell it soon after Jessie quits using it to move into the Whitehawk house, and

the 03' Accord got it pretty good. We just bought that recently from the in-laws for a good deal. I'll collect on it hopefully and be able to pay my deductible for a new roof and skylights.

The miata was tucked away safely in its' tomb, I mean garage.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Sharpie last big hail event we had in the hood every roofer was offering to pay your deductible to get the job they were trying to get as many houses as they could. Gotta imagine they will be doing that again. It is still a PITA sorry your having to go through it...

We had lots of Rain and some pea sized Hail but all my cars we in garages so I never left the comfort of my couch.

Sorry to hear about the damage, Sharpie. One good piece of advice I saw on Faceplant this morning from a friend - if your roof is damaged but not leaking, get the check from the insurance agent and sit on it until fall/winter. That's when most roofers are hungry for work, so prices are lower than what you'll get quoted in the immediate aftermath of a storm.

My wife was freaking out that they kept reporting tornados just to the north of us, but all we got was some moderate rain and a light show. We didn't even get any hail, thankfully.
    Last edited by altiain; 04-04-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Double Birthday brothers. Great advice from both of you. Between the 3:50p.m. storm and 6:00 storm, I already had a roofer knock on the door wanting
    to climb up on my roof. I took their card, and said, do you hear the thunder? "I don't feel comfortable allowing someone on my roof in this weather," the storm hit
    hard less than 30 min. later. Idiots.

After the 2nd wave, I saw another roofer truck driving down the street. They seem desperate. It's crazy.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Its been a slow winter for roofers. I've got a close friend who is a roofer if someone needs a reliable/trustworthy reference who is also great at replacing roofs for zero $$ out of pocket.

I'd also wait to do any replacement until the spring hail season is over unless its critical.

Its a long shot, but you might try to get auto damage that is not covered by comprehensive handled under your homeowners insurance. If there is any TREE damage or wind-blown debris, you've got a very good chance.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    After the 2nd wave, I saw another roofer truck driving down the street. They seem desperate. It's crazy.
    Roofers from all over the county will come to storm central, and then disappear, never be seen again after they do the job. When the time comes, get somebody local who'll be around if you need them.

Yeah, we're getting roofers by the dozens knocking on our door.

Here's a bit of the end of the storm. Didn't want to go out during the worst of it. It was bouncing up off the ground and pounding the windows on the porch :o

-Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

The roofers have been like rats around here. It really makes me laugh actually. I'll have my adjuster come out. Ozmdd I'll be in touch. I'd rather the money go to good person who will do an honest job. Thanks.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles