Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overheat

Default overheat

No we never did the compression check, will do that on saturday.

I just got a phone call and i need yall's opinions, please.
    My girl went to the mall and left the car in the sun for approximatley 2 hours then it was driven in stop and go traffic until it started to get hot. M pulled the car over and has let it sit. We have recently replaced the waterpump, timing belt, thermostat(autozone not the OEM) should the above situation have caused the car to overheat?
    What, should i check first?
    thank you

Do the fans come on?

You may want to look at this post = http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=2753

thanks POS i will check it when she comes to get me. she said it is driving fine again now, that she has added some water.

If you had to add water it's possible that you didn't get all the air 'burped' out of the system after the work you did. That can cause problems.

Like POS said, check the fans too... but keep an eye on the water level just to be sure it's not being lost somewhere.

If the fans work and you have full coolant but it still tries to overheat then you may want to try to replace the radiator cap and test the thermostat - thermometer & a pan of water on the stove... heat 'till it opens and check the temp. You can also try to flush the system.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

we ran water through it when we did the work to flush it. but i beleive it was leaking from the hose i wanted to replace cause she jsut told me it exploded coolant all over the windshield.
    NEVER PUT OFF YOUR REPAIRS JUST SO YOUR WOMAN CAN GO SHOPPING,
    we were supposed to go after we went to the race on sunday.

Did you change the CAS O-ring?

If not, you'll blow that heater hose again!

Better check the other heater hose too. It will probably need replacing.

Oil gets on them from the o-ring and deteriorates the hose.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Did you change the CAS O-ring?

If not, you'll blow that heater hose again!

Better check the other heater hose too. It will probably need replacing.

Oil gets on them from the o-ring and deteriorates the hose.

RJ
    ????????????????????????

It was not the heater hose, it is my radiator.
    What could cause a waterpump belt to jump the track?
    When we got it pulled into the walmart parking lot, we popped the hood and saw the belt half off if the pulley, well half wecged in tight behind the pulley. The 3 bolts holding the pulley were then tightened by hand.
    We got it home, and torn apart got the belts back on(saved the old one that looked good still, just in case a belt ever broke on me)
    Then after getting it together, i filled the radiator with antifreeze. and heard it trinkling out. I then pulled the belly pan, poured in water and watched it leak from everywhere and nowhere in the radiator. I did not feel like tearing out the radiator tonight,i will do it tomorrow after work.
    SO onto my ? what the hell do i do now? where could i get a new or gently used radiator ASAP.

My girl jsut wants to get rid of the car but i have spent too much time and money and i love this fricking thing, she does not understand that it is 10 years old and has most of its original parts.
    thanks everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    ????????????????????????

When we got it pulled into the walmart parking lot, we popped the hood and saw the belt half off if the pulley, well half wecged in tight behind the pulley. The 3 bolts holding the pulley were then tightened by hand.

SO onto my ? what the hell do i do now? where could i get a new or gently used radiator ASAP.
    OK... radiator is leaking... hmmm... Unless someone on here has a gently used one, I'd go aftermarket or dealership on replacement.

As for belts jumping track, that is a NASTY one. It could be a couple of things. The first thing that comes to mind is a bad waterpump... BUT... since you said you tightened the 3 bolts by hand on the waterpump pulley... it sounds like they weren't tightened correctly and they loosened up. This would be your most likey culprit for the belt slipping off as the pulley would be wobbling badly... better check the bolts to see if they need replacing! A wobbling pulley can destroy the threads on the bolts and weaken them. - not to mention screwing up the holes on the pulley.

Another thing that can do that is that the crank pulley has started coming apart and slipped forward (or backwards) a little bit. This would throw the 2 pulleys out of a flat plane and cause the belt to jump off. I had that happen on my 89 Jeep. The belt jumped 1/2 way off the pulley and shredded. The dealership just replaced the belt without finding the underlying cause and it shredded a second belt within a week. My own mechanic found the problem & fixed it right. BUT since you said that you tightened the three water pump bolts by hand this doesn't sound like what had happened.

RJ

????????????????????????

When we got it pulled into the walmart parking lot, we popped the hood and saw the belt half off if the pulley, well half wecged in tight behind the pulley. The 3 bolts holding the pulley were then tightened by hand..
    You answered your own question on this one a loose pulley will cause the belts to jump......
    Then after getting it together, i filled the radiator with antifreeze. and heard it trinkling out. I then pulled the belly pan, poured in water and watched it leak from everywhere and nowhere in the radiator.
    Can I get a translation on this passage?
    My girl jsut wants to get rid of the car but i have spent too much time and money and i love this fricking thing, she does not understand that it is 10 years old and has most of its original parts.
    thanks everybody.
    You know she may have a point, pretty much all you two have done is fixed this car.

I hate to say this, but your posts are sooooo confusing..... I also think you are not a mechanic and you keep causing more problems. Perhaps you should get rid of the poor Miata before it has a heart attack.......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

i have not done anything but get someone who is a mechanic fix the timing belt.

So i should just get rid of the car and give up since i dont know sheat? excuse the language but . i am trying.

channelmaniac, thank you any idea where to find a new radiator

pos what i mean is when i pour water into the radiator and look underneath, it appears to be coming from everywhere(drips all across the bottom), and until i get it out of the car (because i cant see through the fans) it seems to come from nowhere.

i am not giving up. i am going to keep trying. i try to make my posts clearer and i still get crap(kestrel you missed one). are you a mechanic and have always been a mechanic? or did you learn somewhere? think about the first time you sunk several hundred dollars into your car and it died a week or two later. try doing this with very limited knowledge of cars, a haynes manual, and a tech geek who 5 years ago used to be a mechanic.
    Last edited by dyingbreed; 05-20-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Well, it sounds like the mechanic didn't tighten the bolts on the water pump pulley...

As for the radiator... you can order them from Napa (my first choice!), O'Reilly, AutoZone, CarQuest, etc... or you can get them from the dealership.

If you decide to get them from the dealership then you should go mail order through Trussville Mazda to get the best price.

As for your posts... Please try to make them as descriptive as possible. That will help us understand what your issues are. When you say it comes from everywhere... then that makes us think that there are a LOT of leaks...

Possible leaks: weep hole on water pump, o-ring missing off back of water pump, gasket problems on water pump... leaking hose... missing freeze plug... drain plug on radiator... hole in radiator... head gasket...

Not trying to be an ass, but those are possibilities that we have to consider if you don't tell us where it appears to be dripping from.

The Miata radiator is metal with plastic top & bottom caps... those caps can crack and leak. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR IF THE CAPS ARE LEAKING. They will catastrophically burst and you will suddenly lose all coolant. So replace it BEFORE you drive the car ANYWHERE!

Don't give up on the car just yet. Don't do stupid things with it either like driving it before you get the radiator fixed or you will end up with severe issues like a warped head.

Also - don't give up on the forums yet. Read the alligator hide post. You do need an alligator hide to be here. Some of the forum members are harsh, but usually it's for a reason. We cannot help you if you cannot give us accurate decriptions of the problem!

Raymond

channel maniac, pos and kestrel you are the ones i can think of right now that at least are trying to help,(not just here but in private as well) i can tell when jokes are made, it is just some other people. i will not give up i can not give up.

the water is just from the radiator. straight out the bottom.

take caree it is time for work.:)

I would guess that the bottom end cap for the radiator is cracked. That is what he seems to be describing. Water coming out the whole length of the radiator.

channel maniac, pos and kestrel you are the ones i can think of right now that at least are trying to help...
    I'm no mechanic -- trust me, you wouldn't want me working on your car, as the rest of the boyz can attest -- so I'm not giving you any advice about fixin' your car. On the other hand, in order for the mechanics that we do have on the board to help, they need to be able to read and understand your posts. Your writing is getting better -- there is some punctuation, and a couple of your posts have a few Capital Letters sprinkled in for good measure . But the bottom line is, we're still struggling to read what you are typing.

Think about it another way: Nobody here wants to misdiagnose your problem and give you bad advice. Anything you can do to help us fully understand what's going on will help us give you an accurate diagnosis and good/accurate advice on fixing your problem. Taking your time to write this stuff clearly will really help us to help you!

I know you feel "beaten up" about this writing thing, but we really are trying to help.

BTW, if/when your girl decides to sell the car, I'll up 3Bean's offer. I'll graciously offer $525.00 to take that terrible Miata off your hands...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    BTW, if/when your girl decides to sell the car, I'll up 3Bean's offer. I'll graciously offer $525.00 to take that terrible Miata off your hands...
    Out bid me, will ya!? Why I oughtta....

kestrel on the personal side you are trying to help, thank you
    i am not selling the car, punks

I've tried to encourage you! Keep trying, don't give up and don't let forum talk bother you. You have my number, don't be afraid to use it. Don't sell it!

I would recommend the metal radiator from the automatic miatas. I can't remember where I got it though, it was about $180 IIRC.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

kestrel on the personal side you are trying to help, thank you
    i am not selling the car, punks
    NO offense, but a post like that is not going to get people to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast