Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension question

Default Suspension question

First off I have heard alot of people say that in CSP most folks take off their rear sway bar? Is there any truth to that, and given that my only suspension change thus far is a RB front bar, should I take off my rear?

Also I have been wanting to get a STB for the front. I have read some reviews that say the $12 ebay braces are just as good as the $108 ones... anyone have experience or advice as far as that goes? I also have my eyes on a set of KYBs over the summer when I ahve some more funding... should I wait for those first?

(car is a '99 leather)

I gave away my Ebay front STB. It was worthless. I could see the mounting point flex as I shook it. I am not sure about the FM and other expensive ones, but to me if I were to get one it would be OEM only. As for CSP I have the stock sways. I am not sure what I am going to do with the car, so I am holding off on changing anything for now. If I were to do sways I would get the biggest front bar I could and keep the rear stock. The car rotates enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolix
    First off I have heard alot of people say that in CSP most folks take off their rear sway bar? Is there any truth to that, and given that my only suspension change thus far is a RB front bar, should I take off my rear?

(car is a '99 leather)
    If that's all you have done so far the car it may be eligible for Stock Class, those "Special" Kids in CSP are scary!

Are you getting R Compound tires for the car??

TC is running no rear sway with his FM springs and is very happy with the setup. I'm not sure what front bar he is running. If you are running a stock suspension, I probably wouldn't remove the rear bar.

I installed some TEIN flex coilovers over the winter with 9kg F and 6kg R spring rates. I'm running a Racing beat 1.125" hollow front bar and a stock rear bar. Right now (on the street) the car can be rotated pretty easily with the gas pedal (lift or throttle application).

I haven't driven the car on R-comps yet, so I've got a lot of learning and tweeking to do. My guess is that on tight courses I will use the stock rear bar and maybe remove it for faster courses or track duty.
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 02-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I just have the stock suspension right now(non-sport). I could race stock class if I swaped my intake back in(but I don't have a good drop in filter for it and I plan for a mid-pipe and headers probably over the summer) and I definately do not have the budget for R-comps.

And I guess I'll go ahead and spring for the real STB...

I just have the stock suspension right now(non-sport). I could race stock class if I swaped my intake back in(but I don't have a good drop in filter for it and I plan for a mid-pipe and headers probably over the summer) and I definately do not have the budget for R-comps.

You know couple of the local AX groups have a tire class, some of the kids here might be able to enlighten you.

Most CSP guys steer clear of the STB (cheap or not). It's just added weight with a minimum return.

TC is racing CSP tire, so hopefully he'll chime in.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have the factory '02 STB... It's unpleasant on the street without it, but if I weren't so lazy, I'd remove it for the weight for autocross. If you've never had one, don't buy one. Unless you drive the car with it, you'll never notice its absence.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I have the factory '02 STB... It's unpleasant on the street without it, but if I weren't so lazy, I'd remove it for the weight for autocross. If you've never had one, don't buy one. Unless you drive the car with it, you'll never notice its absence.

Interesting. The roads around here are pretty damn bumpy(especially compared to what I'm used to haha) so its really tempting. It's probably a better idea to spend the money elsewhere(like some nice Konis)... and since I have the leather pakage(with cruise and all that crap) I need to watch my cars figure a bit

I have an Ebay one, and I did experience a very noticeable difference... twice a day. I used to have to drive over some really bumpy train tracks to get too and from my house in California. Before the STB, the tracks rattled my teeth. After the Ebay STB, the tracks were MUCH more tolerable. I never really noticed it any other time. It is no longer on the car, as it won't fit with my Supercharger. I'll make you a great deal on it if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I have an Ebay one, and I did experience a very noticeable difference... twice a day. I used to have to drive over some really bumpy train tracks to get too and from my house in California. Before the STB, the tracks rattled my teeth. After the Ebay STB, the tracks were MUCH more tolerable. I never really noticed it any other time. It is no longer on the car, as it won't fit with my Supercharger. I'll make you a great deal on it if you are interested.

NA works with NB?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    NA works with NB?
    Beats the hell out of me.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    NA works with NB?
    No.

Interesting. The roads around here are pretty damn bumpy(especially compared to what I'm used to haha) so its really tempting. It's probably a better idea to spend the money elsewhere(like some nice Konis)... and since I have the leather pakage(with cruise and all that crap) I need to watch my cars figure a bit
    Are you planning on changing just shocks or shocks and springs?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Shocks, then springs. Those definately won't come untill at least summer when I am not in school and working again.

If you're on a tight budget, you might want to look into the KYBs instead of the Konis. I had some on the car before the coilovers and bought them new off of Ebay.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I really like the KYB's I have and the FM springs, it would probably be too bumpy for some but I don't mind the trade off...and the roll bar made it a lot more stable.
    I too got the Ebay special on the KYB's I think it was like $305. shipped.
    I did do the install of both springs and shocks at the same time, I wouldn't want to do them seperate.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I'll make you a great deal on it if you are interested.
    How much do ya want fer it??

Ive always wanted to satisfy my curiosity about this issue...but not enough to go through the whole bidding/shipping hassle...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    How much do ya want fer it??

Ive always wanted to satisfy my curiosity about this issue...but not enough to go through the whole bidding/shipping hassle...
    $10 and it's yours.

Hah, my miata has problems with train tracks as well, I got dib's after Jigg if he doesn't want it!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast