Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TXU to raise rates 24%

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thumbs down TXU to raise rates 24%

12% in November and 12% more in January. Has anyone abandoned TXU and gone with a different company already? Gexa would save me 11% according to the PUC.

http://www.powertochose.org/

I am using Reliant, I have seen a diffrence in my bill (not much) but every little bit helps, however if TXU goes up that much they most likely all will.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    12% in November and 12% more in January.
    That's

S.

Have any of you who have switched from TXU had service issues? We're thinking about switching as well, but Melissa is concerned that our service - and possible response time if we have an outage - will suffer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Have any of you who have switched from TXU had service issues? We're thinking about switching as well, but Melissa is concerned that our service - and possible response time if we have an outage - will suffer.
    We switched and had no problems... except for the leper treatment we got after the switch while waiting on the final bill. But I blame that on crappy customer service.

The other companies merely "rent" the lines from TXU, TXU still services the power lines, etc etc. I went to a seminar on a company that saves ~12%, thinking about joining up with them. I'm using Direct Energy, we switched after just 3 or 4 months on our TXU account and haven't had any problems.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Anyone see the story on Channel 11 last night were the top executive for TXU got a 15 Million Dollar Bonus last fiscal year, plus his normal 1 Million dollar salary.....

Makes you wonder is this rate increase is just going to help TXU cover its bonus program!

Go to http://www.cbs11tv.com/ then click on TXU Rate Hike in CBS 11 Video section.........
    Last edited by POS Racing; 10-06-2005 at 07:56 AM.

A couple of "fun facts to know and tell":
    • Power Companies -- like TXU -- are considered monopolies, and as such are regulated by the government. One of the things that the government tightly regulates is the rates they can charge their customers. So if TXU is going to charge 24% higher rates, it's because the government regulatory agency granted them that increase (due, I presume, to much higher oil prices).
    • Co-ops -- like Reliant -- simply buy power from Power Companies and sell it to their customers. How can they be a middle-man, and still offer lower rates to their customers? Because the same government regulatory agencies force the Power Companies to sell power to the Co-ops at their lowest rate. Different forms of power generation cost (and are priced) differently. Nuclear Power is cheaper than Coal Power, which is cheaper than Oil Power. The regulatory agencies say the Power Companies have to sell their cheapest power to the Co-ops -- the thinking, I suppose, is that that is the only way Co-ops could be competitive with the mean 'ol Power Producer. Of course, if ths Co-ops (and their customers) are getting the cheaper power, that leaves the more expensive power for TXU's customers to pay for.
    Interesting business, eh?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Well,

Maybe public backlash will make them recant the bonus... Like the AT&T folks when they laid off a large number of workers at Christmas time a few years back. Their CEO was slated to get a huge bonus for that nice and generous act.

Also, you have to figure into the rate hike equation the high cost of health insurance for ladder accidents.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

mode on:

Adam Payrot is correct about "renting" the wires and poles. I work for TXU Electric Delivery. TXU E.D. probably owns the wires and poles in your neighborhood and is regulated by the PUC. I don't see that ever changing. No matter who you choose for a provider, we deliver. Actually, all the providers are hooked to the grid and there is no way to know who's electrons are actually spinning the disk in your meter. It's like a community ice chest. You put your six pack in there and I put my six pack in too. We call them all equal, and if you drink more than you brought, you pay me for the difference. (Way too simplified, but you get the idea.)

24% sounds incredible, but before the hurricanes, I had already been hearing about the increases we were going to see in the price of natural gas this winter. Now, the gas can't be delivered as easily because of the hurricanes. The PUC only allows a provider to ask for an increase due to fuel costs twice a year. An energy provider makes their case, and the PUC alows all, none, or part of it. It was the same deal before deregulation. It is the same deal with pizza delivery. Fuel costs are making everything more expensive.

Your elected officials decided it was better to have a competitive market than a regulated industry. The good news is that you can change providers anytime you want. I don't understand a lot of it, but IIRC, deregulation hasn't come to TXU Energy yet. Becasue they were the only game in town, the PUC says TXU Energy has to have the "Price to beat" until the end of 2006. The PUC is artificially keeping TXU Energy's price up to give all the new kids on the block a chance to establish a customer base. At that time the PUC will make the playing field level again, and TXU can compete. If your new company has guaranteed to be cheaper, ask them what will happen after the PUC removes the restrictions on TXU Energy.

Last spring, a neighbor approached me about changing electric providers. Two months later, she approached me again - but she was repping a new provider and blasting the first! To me, the new one appears to be a pyramid scheme. I've caught several solicitors in bald face lies about how things work, and when called out, they would back-track very quickly. I've seen many more saying things that were not true because they just did not understand. I'm not saying TXU Energy is the good guy or the bad guy. All I'm saying is let the buyer beware.

mode off

The bottom line for me is that as long as you keep buying electricity from someone hooked to the grid, you are helping pay my salary. Thank you.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    The bottom line for me is that as long as you keep buying electricity from someone hooked to the grid, you are helping pay my salary. Thank you.
    Did you also receive a 15 Million dollar bonus last year, like your big TXU boss did? If so I would like to talk with you about some exciting timeshare opportunities for you and your wife!

So what you're saying is I have to build a small nuclear reactor in order to get cheap power. Perhaps solar panels... maybe some hamsters in a large wheel.

Whichever way, it seems we're staring down the wrong side of the gun.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Anyone see the story on Channel 11 last night were the top executive for TXU got a 15 Million Dollar Bonus last fiscal year, plus his normal 1 Million dollar salary.....

Makes you wonder is this rate increase is just going to help TXU cover its bonus program!

Go to http://www.cbs11tv.com/ then click on TXU Rate Hike in CBS 11 Video section.........
    Did they mention he took stock from $11 a share to over $116 to get that bonus? I'm not defending his salary or bonus, but that is what drove the bonus. Nobody is worth that much, but the world pays all kinds of folks more than they are worth. Don't get me started.
    When he hired on, TXU was in a world of hurt. Stock had just gone from over $30 a share to under $11 in about two days.
    Besides, that is old news that the media just pulled out because of the fuel adjustment request.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Did they mention he took stock from $11 a share to over $116 to get that bonus? I'm not defending his salary or bonus, but that is what drove the bonus. Nobody is worth that much, but the world pays all kinds of folks more than they are worth. Don't get me started.
    When he hired on, TXU was in a world of hurt. Stock went from over $30 a share to under $11 in about two days.
    My portfolio could have used a nice boost like that! Where were you with this info for your friends???

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    My portfolio could have used a nice boost like that! Where were you with this info for your friends???
    Yea no ship!

From http://www.txucorp.com/investres/inv...nt/welcome.asp
    In light of the company's improved financial strength, TXU's board of directors increased the annual dividend 350%, with an expectation of 5% annual growth. We expect to return over $5.5 billion of value to shareholders through dividends and share repurchases over the 2004 to 2005 period. With generation of significant incremental free cash flow after capital expenditures, TXU's cash-producing power is at or near the top of the industry.
    350% increase in Dividends equals yet another request for a rate increase this time around a 24% rate increase. It just doesn't quite line up for me.

So what you're saying is I have to build a small nuclear reactor in order to get cheap power. Perhaps solar panels... maybe some hamsters in a large wheel.

Uh, the Dept. of Homeland Security won't let you build your own reactor.

I think it's getting close to the time of doing a TCB style windmill for generating power Sell the excess back to the grid so you can bank up and have some to use when the wind dies down.

It would be funny to see someone try to build a reactor! I bet there'd be all kinds of G-Men swarming down on their house.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

An interesting side note... I am not sure if this is related to Kalifornia power regulation or if it comes out of Washington, but in CA you can set up your own energy generation on your property (solar, wind, etc) and it can be set up to send your un-used electricity back into the power company grid. The electric company is required to by it from you at set rates weather they want to or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast