Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RX-8 Engine Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Now what if you counted all of the Fords that are based on Mazda engineering?
    Escape, Fusion, Milan the new baby Lincoln, some unreleased ford SUV, Euro Focus, Volvo S40.. what others am I forgetting?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Escape, Fusion, Milan the new baby Lincoln, some unreleased ford SUV, Euro Focus, Volvo S40.. what others am I forgetting?
    Now were talking some production numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Thanks for the tip Trackdog. The RX-8 was on my list of top 3 candidates.
    Inquiring minds want to know what the other two were.

I've heard of the problem for awhile, but I'm not convinced that this isn't an "owner education" issue. A lot of people buying RX-8s have never owned a rotary before, and don't understand that you can't just treat them like a ocnventional reciprocating engine.

The RX-8 has been on my short list as a Miata replacement later this year, but since I have access to one that I don't have to pay for or put gasoline in, I may buy something else instead.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So, it will be a great opportunity to get real TCB deal when they pull the plug on the RX8 just like the last few NC RX7 on the lots a decade ago.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog
    Spoke with a Mazda mechanic friend of mine about a Miata issues and while I was there he was working on a RX-8. He stated they are having a lot of engines going out do to poor oiling and had a feeling that there may be a recall coming soon. He said about 70% of the engines that are having problems are having the engines replaced under warranty. This could be the end of the rotary if this keeps happening. Most likely Mazda was probably running the oil injection on the lean side for emmisions and this caught up with them.

I bring this up in case you have one, know someone that has one or were thinking about buying one. I would stay shy of buying one if I were you.

Dawg
    Yep, I hate to dog on a Mazda, especially a rotary, but I would half to agree with ya here. A friend's mother just had her engine replaced and the car has had multiple engine computer updates and has been in the shop half the time.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I don't understand why they don't throw in the towel on the rotory, and just put a 4 or 6 cyl in those cars. I would think a 4cly would fit, but the 6 would give it the sporty feel it deserves.

BTW, the 2007 RHT is showing up on my radar as a possible new purchase, of course I'll wait till it's out a while, but since I'm about to payoff my current Miata, and only have a bit over a year on the trailblazer (that I can't find a home for) left, I'm trying to talk my wife into the RHT Miata as a second car for herself. I'm OK with having 4 cars, especially since I've got a 15 year old that will soon be driving. We'll probably put him in the Trailblazer, or my old '93 p/u.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    or my old '93 p/u.
    A vote for the p/u. It's my believe that the more passengers a kid can hall around, the more likely they are to get themselves into trouble. If you can eliminate the backseat without adding performance, he should be just a little bit safer.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

A vote for the p/u. It's my believe that the more passengers a kid can hall around, the more likely they are to get themselves into trouble. If you can eliminate the backseat without adding performance, he should be just a little bit safer.
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

VETOED!

I would have to say from personal experience, the pickup may be the worst choice second only to say a new Vette!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    VETOED!

I would have to say from personal experience, the pickup may be the worst choice second only to say a new Vette!
    OK... there has to be a story there.. due tell! I had a pickup for part of my teen years and generally got in a lot less trouble then when I had a car full of people.

OK... there has to be a story there.. due tell! I had a pickup for part of my teen years and generally got in a lot less trouble then when I had a car full of people.
    If you give a kid a p/u you need to put a locking flat-topped bed cover on it. This will help keep them from doing stupid (and illegal) things like piling a bunch of friends in the back.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have to say I'm in agreement with Ice-P on this one. Pick-ups are light in the rear end and tend to have lo-traction tires. That's a recipe for winding up in a ditch on a slick road. They also lack the crash integrity of most cars of similar vintage. Plus, there's always the risk that they'll fill the bed full of people, which can lead to BIG accidents. I agree that a four door isn't the best choice for a teenage driver, and that you want them to be able to take as few friends as possible, but I don't see pickups as a particularly good choice.

How about an old Civic hatchback or a CRX?

S.

Well, I guess I don't know what the law is out here, but passengers in the bed of a truck is a big no-no in CA, so this wasn't a problem. Hell, even dogs had to be on a tether if they road in the bed.

The truck I had was a gutless 4 cylinder, and I never had a problem with the backend coming around. The only time I got into trouble like that was when I was driving my Dad's late 80's V8 Thunderbird with 6 kids packed into it.

The CRX would be an even better solution than the truck... 2 seats, little power, and FWD.

The CRX would be an even better solution than the truck... 2 seats, little power, and FWD.
    Just check to make sure it has the dinky low power engine that isn't ricer material for building up.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I still managed to fit 5 in my CRX. That was the most practical college car though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    I still managed to fit 5 in my CRX. That was the most practical college car though.
    Upon further thought, I'm thinking Del Slow might be better. The older CRXs would be hard to come by with mileage low enough to feel reliable for a young kid, and I too remember turning a friend's CRX into a clown car.

Talk about a thread drift

I wasn't going to reply here for fear of drifting this thread. But It has definately taken it's course.

I'm planning on starting him in the '93 Dakoda v-6-auto for two to three months, as it's already beat up. Then I'll move him into something else. I just haven't decided what yet. It may be the trailBlazer, if we still have it, provided my wife gets a new car, or we may sell the TB and buy him something else. The wife isn't comfortable with him in a really small car like the crx or Miata, as shes afraid it won't protect him enough. I personally would like to put him in a Miata, but I'm getting a big Heck No from the boss.

Then the plan is during his senior year is to build up a car for him for graduation. Of course he wants a Late model Supra or an old muscle car, but time will tell, and all will be based on his driving skills and maturity level, and decisions he makes while driving. Bottom line is he'll graduate with a cool car that we will have gone through,so it should be reliable and will serve as a base that can be modded as he has the time and/or money.

Oh, and of course, he's going to have to have several auto-x's under his belt first, so he can learn how easy it is to loose control when pushing a car.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Sweet if the survey results are not what ya want just change the way ya do the surveys!

For those of us who can't stream video at work, can we get a Reader's Digest version of the link?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast