Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for lighter 15 wheels

Default Looking for lighter 15 wheels

The Kazera's I have look good but they weigh 19 pounds a piece and I have had them for almost two years. I need some ideas for new wheels. I want to put 15's on with black spokes and polished lips,prefer they weigh less than 14 pounds and under $175 a piece. Any ideas? I am sick of looking at websites as most of them don't list weights. Give me some suggestions when you get time.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

http://www.okmiata.com/r_upgrades.html#wheels

Not sure if that's the look you want, but they are 13.2lbs each...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Don't like the lettering on the rim but it's in the ballpark....

Not black, but I went with Kazera KZ-M. Like the Pro Race rims they are 7 inch wide instead of 6.5 so there is less sidewall stress for wider tires. Got them from Tire Rack (Flyin Miata seemed like they really didn't make enough on the sale to be interested when I called them to place the order). They are painted, so if you have your heart set on black or want the lip different you could do so.

Added benefit is that they weigh slighly less than the Pro Race rims, need no centering rings, strong, and are 30mm offset for a slightly wider stance.

Konig has stressed to pointy board people that even though they brand in the word "Racing" in the casting, they are not meant for that and have cracked under some peoples track use. Dunno all of the details, but there have been some bad reviews from the pointy people.

My .02$

Todd,

I saw those on the Goodwin site but none of them have the polished lip. Also I don't know if I should get 15x6.5 or 7's......

Keep the ideas coming and thanks

Okay..those look good but what can I run 15x8 on the street and track and if so what size tire?

From their site:

99-05 Miata +40 225/45/15 Hankook RS2 fits front and rear,no rubbing. 245/40/15 fits rear, requires rolled fenders, front requires rolling and rubs slightly at full steering lock. Clears Wilwood BBK with two piece front rotors. Fits 01+ sport brakes. +36 required for early Wilwood brake kits using one piece Corrado rotors. 225/50/15 fits rear with +40 but does not fit front well. If you run 225/50 rear, 205/50 or 225/45 front is reccomended

And I thought you might like this pic:

Now I'm done... if you want to know more, there is a 20 page long thread about them on the pointy board.

Thanks Todd

Those 6UL wheels are an excellent choice given their weight, cost and width...and they were pretty much designed for our cars, literally.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want an 8" width, you can step down a little to wheels like Bean's for roughly the same weight and overall cost of the 6UL. The 15x7 is available in what they call a royal black, which has the glossy center and polished lip.
    This is obviously not black, nor proper fitment, but gets the idea across:

Lots of folks carry these, and, again, they're cheap. jlbmotorsports offers them for $465 shipped (no affiliation, etc. etc.) as an example.
    The Slipstream is also available in a 15x7.5, though I forget the vendor for that size, and they have no polished lips...
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I've seen a lot of Rotas and similar wheels on Ebay for around $400-500. Might be able to snag a nice set for a good price in there.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

JLB is a good site, that's where I am getting my Rota's from. They carry some of the more "rare" Rota sizes/colors/styles (they are 1 of 2 sites that I found that carry the specific Circuit-10 I want).
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

The black 6ULs are also sold out, IIRC.

They were out of stock when I was shopping, but show 18 available on his site. Oh well, they are cool if you can get them.

Guess that is 18 in the 36mm offset, with some fender rolling that might work. Emilio shows that the 36mm is 13 pounds though.

"The +36 was added to accomodate the limited rear suspension clearance on the Mini and virtually every Honda / Acura.

The +36 can, however, be an option for those Miata drivers that want to use 205 or 195/50's or for those that have modified the fenders for extra tire clearance with 225's. The +36 weighs about 13.1 lbs"
    Last edited by wrxmr2eater; 12-29-2006 at 10:02 PM.

I'm looking to pick up a set of American Racing Silverstones for my car. I think they just released them and they run about $140 per wheel, full retail. According to my info, a 15x7 weighs in at 14.3 lbs and I believe they come in black or very dark grey (with a polished lip). They're similar to the Konig Rewind, but they've got a better look for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, IMHO. So as soon as my bonus check comes in, I'll be hunting down a set of these (in silver). Here's a couple of pix I found of them on a Miata...

Last edited by trickyrix; 12-29-2006 at 10:29 PM. Reason: found some pix of the wheels

I lucked into a used set of 15" Chaparrals!

Man, those are sweet looking! I've seen them on the web... those are very cool center caps, btw...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast