Thread: why it's called a "PARKING" brake

Default why it's called a "PARKING" brake

So last night I go outside to move the miata my wife parked behind my truck. Start it up, then the truck. While I'm outside, I hear a noise like a car door slamming shut.
    Her (my) miata has rolled down the driveway and is kissing the rear bumper of the truck, with my trailer hitch poked through the turn indicator lens.

Argument over the concept of parking brake usage ensues. Apparently it's my fault I didn't make sure the parking brake was on when I started it .

On the bright side, it could have been worse. It could have impaled itself somewhere else, or without the hitch would have rolled underneath the truck.

Plus, I'll need to keep it until I can get it fixed, extensive test driving anticipated.

Are those replacement aftermarket assemblies on fleabay any good?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check Mazda-Nissan Heaven in Mansfield.

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Check Mazda-Nissan Heaven in Mansfield.
    x2

That place is cool I could crawl around there for hours... That is if I had the hours and the money for all of the cool things I would find....

I usually check everything before I get out of the car.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Argument over the concept of parking brake usage ensues. Apparently it's my fault I didn't make sure the parking brake was on when I started it .

I have learned not to argue with my wife... She is bigger than me and knows Karate...... That and she doesn't always fight fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    I have learned not to argue with my wife... She is bigger than me and knows Karate...... That and she doesn't always fight fair!
    I would most definitely be a dead man by now if that were the case here.

[COLOR=black]
    Are those replacement aftermarket assemblies on fleabay any good?
    The one I bought a few years ago was good.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Check out The Parts Group, They have the tail light assemblies listed for $45 and you can be sure of good service. Ask some of the guys around here that have used them.

LINKIE
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Check out The Parts Group, They have the tail light assemblies listed for $45 and you can be sure of good service. Ask some of the guys around here that have used them.
    It's the parking light assembly in the front bumper. Mazda Heaven has one with "a small crack" for 27.50, I just need to make my way down there to check it out.

I wondered if anybody had any problems with the fit of the aftermarket ones from ebay.

It's the parking light assembly in the front bumper. Mazda Heaven has one with "a small crack" for 27.50, I just need to make my way down there to check it out.

I wondered if anybody had any problems with the fit of the aftermarket ones from ebay.
    That's about what I paid for the Ebay one that was perfect IMO. Fits great and cannot tell any difference from the oem on the other side, except the bulb it came with was a different brand making it darker. Just put the same bulbs in both and your good.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...