Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby is sick

Default My baby is sick

Well, I think my motor went south on friday. Its been dropping a cylinider intermitently for a couple days and I hadnt' gotten around to checking it out. Now its smoking badly off an on and blowing TONS of compression out of the crankcase. I guess its time for a motor. I've got a moderate mileage motor lined up (came out of at 94 we bought to build a SM) so I'll probably just swap that motor in. I'd lilke to keep my broken motor and start builing it for boost, but it really depends on how much our team owner wants for the one I'm getting and if he wants mine as a core.

What suggestions do you guys have for clutches? I want something strong enough to hold a good amount of power when I go FI.

I guess I'm out for sunday. Whos up for an all nighter motor swap sometime next week (whenever the clutch comes in)?

I'm up for at least a "shift" on the all-nighter motor swap... I think the ACT clutches are the preferred upgrade.

Depends on how much mad power you want. I would recomend ACT, unless you are going for the cheaper route.

On a 1.8, a ACT HD with Street Disk will hold about 225 ft/lbs.

If you plan on increasing higher than that, you might have to use the ACT XTREME with Street Disk.

I'm sure you have an account with them?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

RPS makes a clutch that is very streetable and holds 350 ft/lbs. Give the guys at MVP Motorsports in Fort Worth a call. Their website is www.mvpmotorsports.com. I'd be able to help any nights but Friday and Saturday, but couldn't pull an all nighter.

I can help in the evenings....just let me know when and where.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

count me as well for a shift... would be a good learning experience...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear about that Evil.

I'm willing to help if I'm able to make it. (Us old guys don't pull all-nighters anymore :P ) Let us know when and where!

I'm game! Where and when??

I'm hoping to do this late next week or next weekend. I'm going to order the clutch and motor mounts on tuesday and the motor is ready and waiting. We could actually have quite a crowd at this thing. Several guys from dallasimports have also shown interest. I really appreciate everybody offering to help. I'll post up more later.

Ok, the clutch and flywheel are here. I'll be doing this friday night starting at 8 (maybe earlier). The shop is in dalworthington gardens. Exit I-20 at Bowen and go north. Take a left on roosevelt and go straight (around the triangle). Take a left on Karalyn Court and follow it around the bend to the end. Its the shop next to the huge house on the right side of the cul-de-sac. Theres a couple of big black gates. Come around the left side of the shop and in the door. Thats where I'll be, probably in air-conditioned comfort unless its really cool. If you're coming please post up again so I know how many people will be there. Call my cell if you have problems 785-317-0783. Thanks guys!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    The shop is in dalworthington gardens.
    You sure you want a bunch of cheap bastards driving Miatae entering the 'Gardens'. :P (bling bling neighborhood!)

Hehe, its not my house!! And the owner isn't ALL bling bling....just his porsche turbo and racecars are . Oh, I almost forgot, you'll get to look at some world challenge cars up close if you promise not to remember what you saw or tell anyone ever.

I won't be there to help as I will be in Kansas but here is a list of things it takes to pull the motor. Includes pictures.

Someone needs to remember to bring the BFH.
    It is always good for removing the hard to remove bolts.

Godd luck at Nationals in Madarash's car, General!

I'd love to drop by and help, but I've got to work Friday night.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'll be there tonight from 7- changing the timing belt/water pump/etc on the new motor. Anybody that wants to stop by is welcome to.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Well, I was there by 7:15, but I couldn't find the shop . . . until I realized that the other houses in the neighborhood did not have 15' rollup doors on the front. Very nice backyard shop I would have realized the shop was not a house if I'd seen the 5 rollup doors on the side of the building

Thanks to Speeder and his boss for letting me hangout.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    15' rollup doors on the front. Very nice backyard shop I would have realized the shop was not a house if I'd seen the 5 rollup doors on the side of the building
    Ya', it sucks having to live that way! I don't know how the poor bastards can stand it! :P Thanks Evil!

Thanks for your help guys! Tonight should be cake now. If anyone has a clutch alignment tool, please bring it. I don't think there was one in the box. Other than that we should be good to go.

Looks like I'll be coming out to play!!! Hooray!!! I got a pass!!!

i might swing by if i get bored tonight. and a clutch alignment tool is less than 5 bucks at oreilly's iirc

kyle
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast