Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over-rev update

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    I bet this over-rev was the result of downshifting a too violently, as opposed to running the revs up using the throttle.
    That is correct. Running the throttle up till you hit the fuel cut will not register as an over rev. On 05-06 model RSXS's, the redline is at 8000 RPM. The fuel is cut at 7800 RPM. Over rev will register at around 8750 RPM. Like Bo said, overrevs are usually caused by mis-down shifting. Like 5 to 4 but miss and get 2nd.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

You hit a fuel cut before your redline on RSXs?

But still on most cars I've driven before the wheels would lock up and the engine /would not/ spin faster than its rev limiter if you shifted into 2nd instead of 4th on the highway, you'd just get alot of skid and curse words.
    Of course that probably makes them quite alot of money having these tiny hi-rev monsters in the hands of all the kids that get them.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Well there are a few things to consider.
    1. The tach on the dash is a little off
    2. The numbers above are form the Helms service manual
    3. From personal experience the fuel cut is a little more like the 02-04 model
    (8100 RPM redline, 8250 RPM fuel cut, overrev at ~8750 RPM) *
    4. At ~8750 RPM the ECU registers an over rev but with even just a Hondata reflashed ECU the fuel cut can be safely raised to ~9000 RPM**
    5. On a stock engine the power peaks at ~7800 RPM anyway, so why go much higher? Torque also maxes out at 7000 RPM

*On Acura's website the redline for the 05-06 RSX-S is listed as 8100 RPM even thought he manual says 8000 RPM

Edit
    ** From Hondata's website
    Reflash for a 05-06 RSX-S K20Z1
    VTEC window from 4900 to 5800 rpm
    8600 rpm Rev limit, increased from 8300 rpm
    Maximum torque gain 12 ft/lbs torque at 6000 rpm
    Maximum power gain 20 hp at 8000 rpm
    Peak torque increases by 6 ft-lbs
    Peak power increases by 8 hp
    Very wide flat smooth torque curve. 90% of peak torque available from 2200-8000 rpm
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 03-22-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Actually, it's a body shop that encompasses all of the dealer's marquees. I would be better off going to whoever oversees the entire operation, since it's not a Honda/Acura issue. I still haven't received a call, after calling yesterday and being told they would call me this morning. See the trend here? The same "let's ignore him til he shuts up" mentality that they've had all along. I guess they don't think I'm serious b/c I'm a "kid"

I've already filled out a BBB complaint against them.
    You could also give them a call and say you're so-n-so with Channel 11 and would like to ask them some questions about a story they are looking into concerning...
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    But still on most cars I've driven before the wheels would lock up and the engine /would not/ spin faster than its rev limiter if you shifted into 2nd instead of 4th on the highway, you'd just get alot of skid and curse words.
    So how exactly did this system work? Was it a gear lockout combined with a interface to the ABS system to actuate the brakes and lock the wheels? Not exactly a safe nor desirable thing for the car to do.
    It's either:
    1. Miss shift = blown engine, but driver remains in control of the car
    2. Miss shift = saved engine, but now the car is in a skid
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Suggestion to the mods
    Can you guys move the posts not relating (over-rev and CMC discussions) to Adam's ordeal to a new thread in OTM.

Thanks,
    -K
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Suggestion to the mods
    Can you guys move the posts not relating (over-rev and CMC discussions) to Adam's ordeal to a new thread in OTM.

Thanks,
    -K
    Or... we could take this opportunity to discuss North Dallas area Japanese restaurants. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Or... we could take this opportunity to discuss North Dallas area Japanese restaurants. Any suggestions?

I have heard that Blue Fish in Las Colinas is good
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Hmmm.. there is a Blue Fish near me off of the Tollway that i was thinking about trying. I may have to now. Thanks!

Talking

Suggestion to the mods

Thanks,
    -K
    That would have to entail actually going through and reading which posts are relevant to the discussion and which are not... and I'm just too damned lazy to care.

--->

Ok Np
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Well Chad, you could start saving up for one of these
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hmmm.. there is a Blue Fish near me off of the Tollway that i was thinking about trying. I may have to now. Thanks!
    It's not bad - give it a shot...
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    You hit a fuel cut before your redline on RSXs?

Of course that probably makes them quite alot of money having these tiny hi-rev monsters in the hands of all the kids that get them.
    Umm... I've never seen a car like that. There is nothing in the average automobile driveline that will prevent an overrev if you backdrive the engine output shaft fast enough (like you would by upshifting at redline from 2nd to 1st when you were looking for 3rd).

Hell, Bimmer owners even have a name for it. They call it "the money shift", since it invariably costs a lot of money to fix when you do it.

Makes me glad I don't have a cumbersome valvetrain to worry about.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

That is correct. Running the throttle up till you hit the fuel cut will not register as an over rev. On 05-06 model RSXS's, the redline is at 8000 RPM. The fuel is cut at 7800 RPM. Over rev will register at around 8750 RPM. Like Bo said, overrevs are usually caused by mis-down shifting. Like 5 to 4 but miss and get 2nd.
    lol, that fuel cut # is a little off 8400 for stock ECU, 8600 for the Hondata reflash and most K-Pro users on stock valvetrain.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Then you might have to do some creative digging to find out the "man in charge". Trust me--get him/her in a room and explain your situation for A to Z. I'd be surprised if you don't get some results....

Good idea, I'll look into it and see what/who I can find.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    You could also give them a call and say you're so-n-so with Channel 11 and would like to ask them some questions about a story they are looking into concerning...
    I've thrown that idea around too
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    It's so good, you will spend around $80 for 2 people, without alcohol

But it really is a good place to eat.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Umm... I've never seen a car like that. There is nothing in the average automobile driveline that will prevent an overrev if you backdrive the engine output shaft fast enough (like you would by upshifting at redline from 2nd to 1st when you were looking for 3rd).

Hell, Bimmer owners even have a name for it. They call it "the money shift", since it invariably costs a lot of money to fix when you do it.

Makes me glad I don't have a cumbersome valvetrain to worry about.
    It's just a matter of a slower revving car not spinning up to over-rev fast enough. The car is going faster than the engine is spinning so the rear wheels break traction and the car slows down before the engine gets past red line.

Now if you're already bouncing off the rev-limiter and downshift your still going to over-rev. But you’d think the synchros would make that hard to do.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Ok, now that makes sense to me...

Oo man get'em to write you a check for the ECU Adam, then you, Nexus, and me can start up a group buy on some Hondata stuff... and some VFACs while we're at it!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast