Thread: Hey OUTRACE: MRI and the Al plate trick -

Default Hey OUTRACE: MRI and the Al plate trick -

So I had my MRI done today and afterwards was talking with the medical tech about the machine... and I got around to asking him about the MRI machine and the aluminium plate trick.

Why you ask?

Well, OUTRACE, myself and others were talking about these machines during our last outing. OR told me about this aluminium plate trick - Al being a non-ferrous metal it would not be attracted by supermagnets...

OR can elaborate...

Anyhow, the tech had not heard about that trick. He did, however, tell me about the nurse that brought in a regular wheel chair into the room during a procedure... they had to purge the system in order to get the chair off the side of the machine! Four guys couldn't pull the chair off!

The strength of MRI machines is measured in Teslas. One Tesla is basically equivalent to the strength of the magnetic field of the earth. Most modern MRIs are 1.5 or 2 Teslas (2T).

The aluminum plate trick is:
    If you take an aluminum plate, such as a sign or a pie pan and put it upright in the bore of the MRI, the plate will not fall over!

A magnetic field of that strength induces an eddy current in the plate, and the eddy current literally holds the plate upright. Certainly gravity has some effect, but any tendency the plate may have toward falling over will take place at an amazingly slow rate. It falls much much slower than it would on the moon.

If you ever get an MRI, pay attention to what the tech asks you. You'll be checked for metals, and he/she will ask you if you've been working with metals lately (e.g. drilling, grinding, or welding). There's a simple reason for this. The field is strong enough to pull a sliver of steel completely thru your body.

I think every MRI tech has seen accidents with the MRI. I've heard some horror stories that don't bear repeating, but the one that really gets most guys is the story of a patient who had a penile implant....... and the MRI machine reportedly made it heat up!

Somehow I had visions of it waving around like a light-saber.

No, I'm not an MRI tech. I just work with a lot of them.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

As long as four guys don't start pulling on it to try to remove it from the side of the machine you'll be OK.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

If that happens, should we use WD40 or duct tape?
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

So one time about a year and a half ago, I had to cut some bolts on the car, being an idiot, I didnt wear glasses. I know some stuff got into my eyes because the bugged for a few days after. Should this be of concern?

Dude... if you can be awake to post at 12:51 am, you can be awake to swap a motor at 12:51 am... get your butt over here!

still going on? give me directions!

Ok, the clutch and flywheel are here. I'll be doing this friday night starting at 8 (maybe earlier). The shop is in dalworthington gardens. Exit I-20 at Bowen and go north. Take a left on roosevelt and go straight (around the triangle). Take a left on Karalyn Court and follow it around the bend to the end. Its the shop next to the huge house on the right side of the cul-de-sac. Theres a couple of big black gates. Come around the left side of the shop and in the door. Thats where I'll be, probably in air-conditioned comfort unless its really cool. If you're coming please post up again so I know how many people will be there. Call my cell if you have problems 785-317-0783. Thanks guys!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    So one time about a year and a half ago, I had to cut some bolts on the car, being an idiot, I didnt wear glasses. I know some stuff got into my eyes because the bugged for a few days after. Should this be of concern?
    After a year and a half? I doubt there's anything left of the particles, even if your eyes didn't wash them out.