Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club Racer Spec S2000 Debuts in NY

Default Club Racer Spec S2000 Debuts in NY

PRESS RELEASE:

Club Racer-Inspired Honda S2000 CR Prototype to Debut at New York International Auto Show

03/13/2007 - TORRANCE, Calif. -
    A new club racer-inspired version of the Honda S2000 will take the legendary vehicle's track-worthy performance to an entirely new level when it makes its world debut at the New York International Auto Show on April 4, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today. Engineered around the expectations and needs of Honda performance enthusiasts, the S2000 CR will be available as a new trim level when the aggressively-tuned vehicle goes on sale in the fall of 2007.

Sounds like weight loss + suspension tweaking? Very interesting...

S.

Interesting. I guess this is the "last blast" for the S2000 before a total redesign or discontinuation. Got any more details?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Noo... not on the day I buy mine.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Interesting. I guess this is the "last blast" for the S2000 before a total redesign or discontinuation. Got any more details?
    Nope. Speculation amongst the Honduh Boyz is that it'll be pretty racy in the old Type R vein. Price is rumored to be pushing $40k, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Noo... not on the day I buy mine.
    See above RE anticipated price.

S.

got any pictures or a link to a website?

40K gets an Arial Atom
    Blah blah blah!

Haha 40k two or three years ago on the wait-list gets an atom!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    got any pictures or a link to a website?
    Nope! I just make this sh!t up as I go along!

Linkie.

Nobody has any pics or details yet.

S.

Just to add a little fuel to this thread....

LINKIE
    Added to that will be power-to-weight ratio gains achieved through weight saving. Aluminum body panels, aluminum updates to the car's “X-Bone” body structure, the removal of the car's air conditioning and part of its audio system, and the substitution of leather seats for lighter, manually-adjusted buckets, could save as much as 222lb from the 2800lb curbweight.

All that means that, while the standard S2000 has a power-to-weight ratio of 188hp per ton, this more track-focused one could have as much as 225hp per ton. Special circuit-biased tires, lighter alloy wheels and a stiffer chassis are also racing certainties.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Daaaamn! That might be worth $38,995! That's a lot for a Honda, but a steal compared to the Elise, Boxster, et al.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    That's a lot for a Honda, but a steal compared to the Elise, Boxster, et al.
    Yeah... and that's brought up an interesting discussion on some of the boards... would they let it stay in AS or would they move it to SS?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Sense I just bought a S2000 I hope they do put it in SS. I don't want to buy a new car! But I guess thats life in the stock classes.

Robert

Details (and pics) have now been released...

The S2000 CR will be available as an entirely new S2000 trim level when it goes on sale in the fall of 2007. The lighter, stiffer and more aggressive overall design is engineered to maximize the S2000's potential on a racetrack with the goal of substantially-improving track times, chassis balance and feel. The factory-tuned roadster provides highly-aggressive suspension settings, increased body and chassis rigidity, overall weight reduction and an aerodynamic body kit dialed-in for reduced lift. An aluminum hardtop replaces the convertible soft top as standard equipment.

"The S2000 CR is the closest thing you can get to a Honda-built racecar with license plate holders and a horn," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "Its features and equipment are designed to appeal to weekend club racing enthusiasts."

The full-body aerodynamic package reduces lift through large and highly-tuned front and rear spoilers. Exclusive chassis features include a quicker steering ratio, Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires, a wider rear tire size, firmer springs and dampers, larger stabilizer bars and a new wheel design in a dark gray color.

Substantial structural bracing has been added to the storage area previously occupied by the soft top, resulting in additional rigidity. The aluminum hard top replaces the soft top of the conventional S2000, resulting in an overall weight savings of approximately 90 pounds when removed (relative to the current S2000).

The exclusive interior is highlighted by unique cloth seating surfaces with yellow stitching, a unique spherical aluminum shifter and carbon fiber-style trim panels. Air conditioning and an AM/FM Stereo with CD player are optional equipment.

Sounds pretty nice. Is all that really enough to bump it out of A Stock, or are current S2K owners just ?

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That rear wing is

That is gorgeous!!!
    Great color, factory hardtop, stiff-ass suspension......I'd change the wheels to Volk RE30's.
    Very Nice!!!

Banned

Yep, very good looking car. The rims are always the first upgrade on any new vehicle, that's why they alway give us so, so wheels and meats. Although can I make out Potenza on the show boat, good tire.

Wing or not, that car is hot!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Boo, I don't like it.

I think there are much better looking front/rear spoilers.
    They save 90lbs for cloth seats, with no air and stereo.
    The suspension has no adjustment for a "track car"... I'm sure there are aftermarkets that can be tuned to work better for different situations.
    They say its a track car but doesn't have an improved rollbar, nor can the seats be used right with harnesses.
    Their 2 second increase lap time was probably mostly from going from the regular SO-2 tires to those 140 treadwear Potenzas.

For those running in stock classes I guess its cool... but for the hype I don't see it as anything new that you couldn't do better yourself with aftermarket parts.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast