Thread: Radiant Barrier (in the attic)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Radiant Barrier (in the attic)

Have any of y'all ever researched this or had it done? I've been reading about it and may attempt to do it myself. The foil is supposedly superior, but much harder to install after a home is built.

Sherwin-Willaims makes a paint-type product -
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/...al_comfort.jsp

That looks like a job I'd hire out!

How much of a improvement are they claiming??

Found it they claim it Reduces heating and cooling costs by as much as 15 percent.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-02-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added stuff

Not worth it....or wasn't in Springtown!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Not worth it....or wasn't in Springtown!
    Why? Please be more specific. What were they wanting to charge you per square foot?

I agree with Merv.

My parents had the paint stuff installed in their attic in Allen two summers ago and did not notice any difference in the attic temperatures or the electric bill also they had 12 inches of blow in insulation put in at the same time. The house still runs a about $350-400 in the summer to cool.

Worst part about it is I am buying the house now.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

By the way,

If you are wanting to do the foil stuff, my suggestion would be to wait until a hail storm causes you to have to replace the roof and let insurance chip in on using the foil covered OSB decking. :)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    My parents had the paint stuff installed in their attic in Allen two summers ago and did not notice any difference in the attic temperatures or the electric bill also they had 12 inches of blow in insulation put in at the same time. The house still runs a about $350-400 in the summer to cool.
    You do realize the electric rates have gone up around 40% in the past 2 years, right? If they are paying the same amounts now, I would say the insulation and barrier helped. I know radiant barrier isn't magic, it must be combined with proper attic insulation and ventilation.

Why dont you just do this?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You do realize the electric rates have gone up around 40% in the past 2 years, right? If they are paying the same amounts now, I would say the insulation and barrier helped. I know radiant barrier isn't magic, it must be combined with proper attic insulation and ventilation.
    I'd bet the insulation did more than the spray on tin foil. But I'd really like you to try it so I can see if it works for you before I would spend any

My folks are buying a house with massive amounts of insulation, venting, radiant barrier, efficient A/C, and some very efficient windows. The utility bills for the place have been less than I pay for a little under half the sq/ft!

I'm having a contractor come out this weekend and give me a bid on upping my insulation and installing a radiant barrier. Might just end up going with the insulation, but I'll let you guys know how it goes either way.
    '99 FMII + everything (sold!)
    '97 FMII (previously)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    You could always hire the crew that Magma used to paint his new place...
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

My 1-1/2 year old house has all of the good high efficiency ac, insulation, tyvac low-e glass, and my electric bill are 1/2 of Monkies electric bill. His house is about the same size but is a two story.

High efficiency is worth the money in the long run.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    The time that they had this insulation and radiant barier installed was inbetween the July/August billing time frame and both periods were about the same as far as temps and bills.

They have a pool with a 2 hp motor that runs 8 hours a day in the summer as well as a 25 year old AC compressor.