Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Vs. Supercharger

Default Turbo Vs. Supercharger

Allrite guys i have sort of a decision to make and that is to use a forced induction on my NC after the warrenty goes up.

im trying to decide on either a turbo or a supercharger
    on one hand i can with a small turbo with low RPM spool which i think may may do well on my powerband but i could just be blowing hot air and not kno what im talking about. :p

but then on the other hand i can go with the supercharger that runs off of my engine instead of my exhaust gas. the problem is that i know nothing about the supercharger but the basics when i've grown up on the turbo .
    the other thing is that the only supercharger i found in a kit is from jackson racing which from what i heard from some a good kit, and another handful says thats its just a waste of money for what you get

1. Turbo or supercharger?
    2. How much PSI should i run?

keep in mind that i love the feel of the car and great handling, the car is gunna be used for more circuit and drift runs than straight-a-ways,and the only reason for me to have forced induction is to smoke all those cocky camaros,and mustangs with their music blaring to the point of premature defness off the line and from a 40 roll. But dont get me wrong i love all cars just like jesus loves everyone, i just hate it when muscle-heads overlook smaller engines.
    any input would be very helpful
    Thanks
    Last edited by NC Eunos; 05-07-2007 at 09:19 PM.

I wasn't even aware that a sc/turbo kit has even been released yet for the NC's. I heard that the company Blitz from Japan was working on a turbo setup for the NC but wasn't yet released. If your trying to drift and do rolling drag races you would probably be better off with a turbo.
    Blah blah blah!

see thats what i was thinking too untill one of my friends suggested me on looking in on a SC cuz of the no lag
    but also i was thinking that if i go turbo on a small trim ill get use to it and want more power which will lead me to a bigger trim and boost therefore more lag

And like i said before im kinda new at the SC thing but i know i can run the same number of psi as the turbo but with no lag and thats where my dilema is at. and im the type of person that will do things rite the first time around rather than cheap out here and there and having it unsatisfactory to me later kno what i mean...?

but whatever input like i said would be great.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

the hydra turbo ecu from flyin miata has anti lag, so in anti lag mode it dumps fuel into your motor when you let off the gas giving a very cool exhaust blow torch and keeping the turbo spinning more then with out it. told it works grate on the track and I'm planning to have the FMII kit by years end.

but wouldnt the car be running really rich and bogg out a lot from the lack of air??

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC Eunos View Post
    but wouldnt the car be running really rich and bogg out a lot from the lack of air??
    I'm not a rocket scientist, all i know is it works =P

I guess thats all rite cuz some times when looking at this type of stuff and wondering how it works with air/fuel ratio and other what what-nots makes my head split like a chord of firewood hahahaha

I'll let you know how it works after I install my Hydra :-D (one of these days)
    Blah blah blah!

Erm… sounds to me like you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself.

First off, how long until your warranty expires? Days? Weeks? Years? (I’m guessing the latter.)
    Second, there currently aren’t any commercially available forced induction kits available for the NC that I’m aware of. So unless you’ve got more than a little engineering talent and a lot of free time, you might want to wait and see what becomes available for the car.
    Third, you say you want to do it right the first time. “Doing it right” involves knowing what you’re doing, instead of blindly following free advice you get from a bunch of strangers on the internet. I would highly encourage you to do a LOT of research on forced induction systems before you spend one nickel on go fast parts. An educated consumer is a smart consumer, whether you’re buying a TV or a turbo kit.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Erm… sounds to me like you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself.

First off, how long until your warranty expires? Days? Weeks? Years? (I’m guessing the latter.)
    Second, there currently aren’t any commercially available forced induction kits available for the NC that I’m aware of. So unless you’ve got more than a little engineering talent and a lot of free time, you might want to wait and see what becomes available for the car.
    Third, you say you want to do it right the first time. “Doing it right” involves knowing what you’re doing, instead of blindly following free advice you get from a bunch of strangers on the internet. I would highly encourage you to do a LOT of research on forced induction systems before you spend one nickel on go fast parts. An educated consumer is a smart consumer, whether you’re buying a TV or a turbo kit.
    Good points Iain. Just so you know here is an NC supercharger: https://2693453429.monstercommercesi...WPROD&ProdID=2

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Good points Iain. Just so you know here is an NC supercharger: https://2693453429.monstercommercesi...WPROD&ProdID=2
    180-200 whp is pretty sorry
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Perhaps TDR might want to "borrow" an NC for awhile...........

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Tell that to the Miata that beat you at the autocross on Sat. I think he had around 200 whp.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    That's about 50-60 whp more than stock. Those #'s aren't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    That's about 50-60 whp more than stock. Those #'s aren't that bad.
    Per the Mazda brochere, the NC is supposed to have 170 Bhp from the factory. That being the case, I would say that 10-30 horses ain't that much. NOS juice might be a better option. or maybe not

Yeah I know that the numbers are usually inflated from the manufactureres.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post

Per the Mazda brochere, the NC is supposed to have 170 Bhp from the factory. That being the case, I would say that 10-30 horses ain't that much. NOS juice might be a better option. or maybe not

Let's say that the 170BHP that you stated, is 150WHP. 200WHP would be a 50whp increase. For the price of mazdaspeed performance parts for an NC, that a good increase. Not as good as bolt ons for an MSM, but not bad.

Default anti-lag

Quote Originally Posted by NC Eunos View Post
    Anti-lag works by pulling timing and dumping fuel. Therefore raw fuel gets sent out the exhaust and ignites on the turbo turbine, causing it to spin and continue making boost. Not good for long term use, but great for people who can rebuild the turbo every weekend.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post

That makes it near 140-145whp, which also changes ALOT cause the new rule allows for a certain temp/humidity setting that they program in to make peak power for the test.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    the hydra turbo ecu from flyin miata has anti lag, so in anti lag mode it dumps fuel into your motor when you let off the gas giving a very cool exhaust blow torch and keeping the turbo spinning more then with out it. told it works grate on the track and I'm planning to have the FMII kit by years end.
    MS does anti-lag, and launch control easily. It can also traction control too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Perhaps TDR might want to "borrow" an NC for awhile...........
    my NC owning roommate has to sleep sometime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast