Thread: Laptops and GPS

Default Laptops and GPS

So!

I haven't really kept up with technology lately (I've been lazy, flying and driving instead of doing important stuff).

My mom is looking into buying a laptop for home and a GPS for her car and she always asks me for help with that stuff, and I told her I would ask some of you brilliant people here.

She doesn't need a high powered computer; she mainly does some picture printing, internet stuff, etc, so I'm guessing she mainly needs a decent amount of RAM and a large hard drive. As long as the processor is 2.0ghz or better, she should be fine. She wants to spend between $500 and $700 on it, preferably on the cheaper side. My brother bought an Acer from Wal Mart which seems to work well, but I'd like to hear your takes on it as well.

As for the GPS, she said she's starting to have trouble memorizing directions so she wants a simple-to-use GPS system for her van which is $200 or less. Very basic, no-frills system with a nice big screen.

Ideas? Comments? Etc.? Name calling?

Thanks
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Cheap laptop and 2 Ghz don't mix.

Most of the cheap ones were 1.6 Ghz to 1.8 Ghz with tiny hard drives.

Last I checked the AMD 64 Turion was supposed to be the best for performance and battery life, but I bought mine a year and a half ago.

Check Tigerdirect out for prices on both GPS and Computers.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 09-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Dell Outlet

Cheapest like new laptops you can find 1/2 the time

look for scratch & dent stuff, some refurbished stuff is fine but you never know.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    As for the GPS, she said she's starting to have trouble memorizing directions
    Using a GPS will only aggravate that condition.

OTOH having HOME programmed in could help in a real emergency.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Using a GPS will only aggravate that condition.

OTOH having HOME programmed in could help in a real emergency.
    I mentioned that, and it seems more like she's worried about trying to read directions from a map than to simply listen to the GPS. She would only use it for places she hasn't been or that are complicated to get to.

She's not senile
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

She's not senile
    But Onething is.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I mentioned that, and it seems more like she's worried about trying to read directions from a map than to simply listen to the GPS. She would only use it for places she hasn't been or that are complicated to get to.

She's not senile
    I didn't mean to say she is, just that depending on Maggie has made me less comfortable with a map or just figuring out how to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    But Onething is the smartest old guy I know.
    Thank you.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I bought Mrs. Ataim a Tom Tom and it's really easy to use. I bought it couple of weeks ago on woot.com for 150 + 5 bucks for shipping. Sorry, I but don't have an answer for your computer.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

We just got a dell on line. It was $550. That's about all I can tell you about, except it's fast and works great.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Toshiba Satellites are hard to bear for a cheap, good laptop. Bought a new one at Office Depot for $400 about 6 months ago.
    I picked up a Lowrance GPS, the iway250 for $200 and have been very pleased with it also.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Toshiba Satellites are hard to bear for a cheap, good laptop.
    I agree,

I bought one for $399 AT BEST BUY A YEAR AND A HALF AGO. It lasted three days before it died. I took it back and got a better model.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I've owned and supported Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, and Dell laptops. None have been particularly more or less reliable than the rest. They all have their quirks, and I have seen them all fail. I would buy the cheapest one that has the ergonomics and features wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I've owned and supported Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, and Dell laptops. None have been particularly more or less reliable than the rest. They all have their quirks, and I have seen them all fail. I would buy the cheapest one that has the ergonomics and features wanted.
    Back in my previous job I did server support and watched in amazement as the desktop guys had to go get Dell repair certified to do onsite repairs. They did A LOT of Dell repairs, far more than they should've had to do for the size of the user community.

Now granted, that was almost 7 years ago that I left that job for my current one but that has soured me on Dell.

On the plus side - Dell is easy to get parts for.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Our office uses Dells now. About 25% of them have lost a hard drive, but that is not Dell's fault. They have also replaced the batteries for all of them, but again that was an issue with the supplier and would effect many laptop brands. Other than that, I know of no problems that were not user caused (a gallon of coffee on the keyboard, and she can't understand why it stopped working).

Interesting that you are looking for both, Madmonkey. When you do find the laptop of her dreams,(with said requirements and price) you might consider looking into "Microsoft Streets and Trips". You can find brand new versions of this GPS software for $50. It comes with the software and the GPS unit.
    This is a cheap solution as long as she doesn't mind taking her laptop with her. Just an option......

Considering how cheap GPS nav units and laptops are becoming, you won't have a problem finding a good deal on both at fry's, best buy, ebay, or online somewhere.

Thanks John ^

She doesn't want to take her laptop with her or that would definitely be an option (it's what I'm going to do).

I'm going to check around Fry's mainly, and if she finds one she likes I can probably get a good deal online. Thanks for all your input.

Lately I've been a little wary of "employee recommendations" and pretty much trust nobody but "real" people when buying anything, especially tech stuff.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I've been real happy with the Magellan units. Mine finally died after 4 1/2 years so I just bought a new one early in the summer. I've already logged over 4500 miles with it in use.
    Last edited by channelmaniac; 09-16-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fix mileage
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I've been real happy with the Magellan units. Mine finally died after 4 1/2 years so I just bought a new one early in the summer. I've already logged over 4500 miles with it in use.
    Yep... we have had our Magellan for 3 1/2 years, and it is still going strong. I paid over a grand for the thing back then , and it is twice the size of the new little ones you see today, but it still gets the job done.

I am very interested in THIS unit for my wife's next car, as it has the convenience of portability matched with the clean look of in-dash navigation.

Here's what's currently on sale, I'm not a fan of expensive notebooks, would rather buy an inexpensive one & replace it in a couple of years. http://salescircular.com/tx/computer/laptpp.shtml

As far as a GPS, I have an inexpensive Magellan, and the map updates are free so far, Tom Tom charges for them.

I love the GPS/Nav units, unless you want a seriously cheap one, look for "text to speech" where the unit speaks the names of the streets/roads you'll be turning on, the less expensive units (like my current one) only say "Turn left in XXX miles", where a text to speech unit will say "Turn left in XXX miles onto XXX road"

here's a refurb Tom Tom on Amazon for $159 http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Portabl...0032906&sr=8-6
    Last edited by pliablemoose; 09-17-2007 at 06:43 AM.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一