Thread: Class Clarification

Default Class Clarification

Just wondering what SCCA SOLO II class my car should be in. I've been running it as a CSP car for lack of a defined class for my car. Can anyone tell me where I should be.
    Here is a rundown of modifications to my '97miata (open diff):
    Lightened Flywheel
    ACT Xtreme Clutch
    Borla Exhaust
    Unorthodox UnderDrive Pulley
    Weapon*R intake tube
    TSI's
    Stock brakes with Hawk HPS pads
    '91 springs w/ KYB AGX's
    Soon to have Nopro shock dumpers (modified upper shock mounts)
    Altezza style taillights (non performance)
    Car is on stock 14" wheels with 195/60/14 azennis
    Also has the burly bar HDHC3D

2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Based on earlier discussions on another forum with droptop, the TSIs probably kick you out of the "class" regimen. At SCCA, you could run SSP and guarantee yourself a trophy... The underdrive pulley is also a no-no in CSP.

altiain can probably comment better on the class fitment/non-fitment of the rest, but CSP is probably the best place to be. I think the flywheel is a problem in the new STS2 class, but you can take a look at the STS rules and see what you think.

STS doesnt allow for modification of engine or transmission, so I would assume that includes clutch and flywheel. I've run my car in CSP only because no one protest the guy at the back of the pack, and there was no street tire class for me to run in. I'd run SM2, but I'm still the turbo dreamer and would just get completly humiliated. Cars isnt a Spec Miata, so DSP is out, and the car definetly wont fare well in any mod class. And is way past stock. It sucks that you have to build your car for certain classes as opposed to having a catchall class.

SSP... I don't know if ER does SSP, but SCCA does. The intent is for any "streetable" car with the majority of interior bits intact, but that does not conform to regular SP classes and would otherwise be pushed to Prepared/Modified.

Sounds like the class I should be in, but if they allow racer rubber, I'm still gonna a good couple of seconds behind. I'm slowly starting to lose intrest in AX due to so many requirements for each class, yet I've built my car to my tastes and it doesnt fall into any real category. I prefer a run whatcha brung class.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDmiata
    Sounds like the class I should be in, but if they allow racer rubber, I'm still gonna a good couple of seconds behind. I'm slowly starting to lose intrest in AX due to so many requirements for each class, yet I've built my car to my tastes and it doesnt fall into any real category. I prefer a run whatcha brung class.
    I'm having similar "issues" with the new STS2 class that the SCCA SEB is proposing. They'll let lots of Miatas run there (STS2 would allow for a bunch of modifications, but you have to run on street tires), but no NB's or NA's with Torsen LSDs. I just want a class where I can add a header, cold air intake, Racing Beat Street Suspension Package (slightly stiffer springs that lower the car by 3/4", bigger front AND rear swaybar), and a Trackdog splitter, and still be relatively competitive (prep in CSP is way more than I want to do). I thought STS2 was gonna be it.

Anyway, that classing stuff is why the NTS2KOC, PCA, and BMW AXs are so popular. It's basically run what you brung... unless you are an S2000, Porsche or BMW :P . Don't let this classing stuff get you down... come out and play anyway!