Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression test?

Default Compression test?

I have heard time and time again that I should do a compression test to make sure my engine is healthy before spending $$$$ on FI. Problem is, I really don't have a clue what I am doing under the hood beyond oil and filter changes. Is this something I should try to do myself, or do I need to take it somewhere?
    Thanks!

Even when I have the right tools, I don't always know what to do with them.
    (Except Duct Tape and WD-40... I have those 2 down!)

A few of us have done this we would be more than happy to help you!

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/viewtopic.php?t=872

Chassis Designer

i think we should have a compression party (i missed the last time y'all did it)...i'm pretty interested in testing mine too, (but i never seem to get around to it myself)...i have the compression gauge thingy laying around somewhere, but we should get a few of us together and i'll bring it up w/me
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

I talked to Adam today and he offered to help me out using his gauge... I have no problem with making a party of it if it is OK with Adam.... we can use my house (North Dallas, Marsh at George Bush).

Chassis Designer

cool...let me know when so i can have time to drive up there
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

I sent an email back to Todd, but it'd be fine if you guys want to use it. If anybody wants a quick run-down on how to do it, just let me know, I'll probably just post it here.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

a quick compression test gives you a very basic idea of your engines health, and it is a good idea to do this from time to time.

most of our spec cars, we look for at least 175 PSI to consider the motor healthy. 190 is truly desired, and sometimes you'll see 195-200 on a motor that's had some head work.

a compression leak down test will give you the best idea of how ring-life/valve seat had declined of the years. some of the crate motors don't even have that great leak down results when new (incorrectly aligned rings).

if you get funny results when you do the basic compression test, let us know- maybe we can have a compression leak down test party at the shop soon.
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Yeah, I think my rings have lined up on my 60k mile engine I put in I won't find out til I swap in the new block and tear this one apart though.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Yeah, I think my rings have lined up on my 60k mile engine I put in I won't find out til I swap in the new block and tear this one apart though.
    What is wrong with tranny #1
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

OK... I have asked Adam to bring over the gauge Friday night. As soon as he confirms that that works, I will post something in the events for this weekend. Anyone interested in testing, helping, or just hanging out playing pool will be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    What is wrong with tranny #1
    Well, I'm on tranny #2 (that should be tranny replacement #2 in the profile).

The original tranny crapped out on my way to work about a month ago. Since I've owned the car, 2nd gear synchro has been notchy at best. It got to the point that I had to shift from 1st to 3rd as it wouldn't go into 2nd. Then, I was driving on the highway and went to put it in 5th from 3rd, and it felt "funny" when it got into place. I've experienced this before, so I just put the shifter in neutral. That felt wierd too, and as I suspected, I lifted my foot off the clutch and felt the RPM's go up as the gear engaged.

I was in 3rd, and had to drive 20 miles to work in 3rd gear, in stop and go traffic. Fun

Tranny #2 is a friend's, I had originally intended to borrow it until I could afford a junkyard tranny. That's not happening anytime soon, so I worked a deal out with him. The only problem I have with it right now is that it whines on decel. Luckily, I can get a used tranny cheap when I need to.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Cookson transmissions will rebuild yours for about $170, and it takes about 2-3 days for them to turn it around (that freshens everything up- more if something is just plain broke)
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Yea, that's the thing. I have probably $.50 that I could spend getting it rebuilt

I figure at the least it needs 2nd and 3rd gear synchros, a shift fork or two, and probably a few other misc. gears and assorted parts. I'm going to tear the tranny down for fun and use it as a learning tool. I haven't dug into a tranny yet
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Thorage327
    Cookson transmissions will rebuild yours for about $170, and it takes about 2-3 days for them to turn it around (that freshens everything up- more if something is just plain broke)
    Thats a good price. I know I need 2nd and 3rd gear sync's. Have you had a tranny done by Cookson? I'm very leary of transmission guys, as I've been sooo burned
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Lewisville Transmission up here in (duh) Lewisville has been a good place for me & the missus. They've been honest and very helpful.

STAY AWAY from Eagle Transmission in Lewisville. They did our 89 Jeep and did a HORRIBLE JOB. Screwed up the starter & flywheel... and we had a pinging sound that sounded like a loose nut in the bell housing. They were pitiful to deal with on getting those things fixed too.

But... of course... if I could get away with driving down to San Marcos, I'd just take it down to the tranny shop my brother works at... but if you have an auto tranny that's down it's kinda hard to do.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Chassis Designer

somebody shoot me an email with a phone number if were're on for friday night so i know where i'm going. i can be up there whenever on friday afternoon after two or so...([email protected]) thanks

we've had good luck with cookson, as long as your not using a full race clutch that doesn't have springs to absorb the shock of power shifting the poor little bastads
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by bio243
    somebody shoot me an email with a phone number if were're on for friday night so I know where I'm going. I can be up there whenever on friday afternoon after two or so...([email protected]) thanks
    My thought was to invite people over during the day Saturday or Sunday, but I was waiting to get confirmation from Adam that he would drop off the gauge Friday night. I would feel really stupid if 5 cars showed up Saturday and we had no gauge

I'm interested too, I'd like to get a dyno run and a compression test before I yank my engine.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I might be interested as well. I'm vaguely interested in seeing what kind of compression my 92k mile old, constantly thrashed and abused engine has.

Besides, I want to check out Titus's Sunburst!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast