Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Conundrum - Con't.

Default Wiring Conundrum - Con't.

2:24 A.M. - Frisco:

So I was removing the airbag wiring (see HERE for early details) So now it's back together...or so I thought. My tach isn't working... nor is my oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, or temp gauge. The fans are now wired in parallel and they aren't rolling on. I could see the radiator hose start to bulge from the heat - thermostat wasn't switching on. My windshield wipers aren't working either. The lights are coming on fine - both in the dash and the headlights. Blinkers are fine, so are the emergency flashers...taillights and reverse are fine. I'm thinking I'm missing a ground wire somewhere...

The engine itself is ok... it started just fine... and aside from the potential overheating, it should be fine.

I'm at a loss here fellas...

Do you get any warning lights when you turn the key on?

Checking the Enthusiast’s Shop Manual, here are a couple things to try:
    Water temp gauge = Check the blue-black wire which runs between the sensor and the 2L terminal at the instrument panel. A reading of continuity indicates the wire is intact, infinite resistance indicates a break in the wire, and continuity to between wire & ground indicates a short.

Does sound like a ground.....

the harnesses that go to the back of the cluster are kinda easy to accidentally pop out of the housing if your removing any of the air bag computer/harness crap.

remove the black bezel around the steering colum just behind the sttering wheel, then the black bezel that surrounds the gauges, then the guage cluster itsself. there is a big flat connector on either side of the cluster, near the top, on the back. if all warning lights and all electronic guages are not working- these are very likely to be loose (one or both), just give them a firm shove into the back of the cluster (you should hear a click).

as far as the thermostat sticking- we sometimes run with a gutted one (so it slows the water down in the radiator just enough to cool down for just a bit). take the part that holds the thermal pellet and just cut it off. this works great for a race car- takes alot longer to warm up in a street car. if you have a 99 or newer, it can be a bad idea, cause the car will run richer. and cause a funky "EGR circuit temporarily stuck" fault that will throw a ODBII code.
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Well...to further the issue -

I still have no tach, oil pressure, gas gauge, etc... after having tracked down the wiring, I realized I don't have any warning lights before start-up. I'm racking my head on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    have no tach, oil pressure, gas gauge, etc... after having tracked down the wiring, I realized I don't have any warning lights before start-up. I'm racking my head on this one!
    What do you get on the following test?

Water temp gauge = Check the blue-black wire which runs between the sensor and the 2L terminal at the instrument panel. A reading of continuity indicates the wire is intact, infinite resistance indicates a break in the wire, and continuity to between wire & ground indicates a short.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    ...2L terminal at the instrument panel.
    Where on the instrument panel do I find this?
    On the back of the instrument cluster.

...2L terminal at the instrument panel.
    Where on the instrument panel do I find this?
    On the back of the instrument cluster.
    Having looked at the back of my instrument cluster a handful of times I never noticed the Letter/Number combo markings.

Anyhow, I tested continuity on the tach and etc. and sure enough, nothing. I'll list here in a minute which ones are showing good and which are bad. So, now I just have to chase down the grounds to these and re/attach where needed... right?

Well 3Bean, did you find the problem????

Yes and no. I gave myself a little down time away from the car just to cool off. I don't want to have to rip everything out again. But as far as I can figure, I did lose a ground somewhere...

I've got to clean out the ground connection underneath the brake master cylinder (although on the pointy board its been said that has nothing to do with the tach. I'll try it out anyhow.)

I need an extra set of eyes and hands while testing the grounds under the hood - my SO is not much for automotive work!

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultim...c;f=5;t=036508

See HarryS's post about grounds on the dash cluster, and a link to a picture of the back of the dash!

Is it still just the dash that is not working???

Is it still just the dash that is not working???
    Right.

That link is probably the best info yet. Thanks! I may have to try the crude way of fixing this problem.

It's amazing what a search can do for ya! :P

See Cliff Knight's post showing the location of the ground for the dash!

http://forum.miata.net/cgi-bin/ultim...c;f=5;t=035291

Hey Bean!

Hey Bean!

I never should have let POS see that jpeg...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I never should have let POS see that jpeg...
    Aw come on!! It was the perfect place for that .jpeg!!

Well Treibenschnell was it a ground wire issue???

I don't know yet... I'm here at work until about 11pm. Tonight I'll be burping the cooling system. Later, either tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll check the ground problem.

For the fans did you try jumping the GND & TFA terminals in the diagnostic deal under the hood? With the ignition on this should start the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast