Thread: 16-20 gig storage....

Default 16-20 gig storage....

My desktop has been glitching lately, and I can't figure it out. My next step is going to be to reformat it and start all over. It hasn't been wiped in 4 years, so it couldn't hurt. However, I have about 16 gig of music on here and another 4 gig of special photos that I don't want to loose. Whats the cheapest way to store that much info? I was going to just move the 4 gig onto the 2 2 gig sd cards i have for the camera, but I'm not sure what to do with the music. I was debating this for the music http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220253 any cheaper/ easier/ faster suggestions?

CompUSA has that same patriot 16gb thumb drive listed for $39.99 and $24.99 after rebate, but it can be had locally. I bought a 16gb SDHC patriot flash card from fry's for $35 without any rebate. You night want to check and see what the going price is here locally for the flash drives. If you want a larger capacity, I think Fry's or compusa had a 500gb external drive listed for 79.99 today.

If you have a hard drive laying around, you can also get an enclosure for addapting it to an external drive for around $10-20. Hooked up to the usb only they are somewhat slow, but add a 5vdc power supply and they run as fast as a regular hard drive.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 11-28-2008 at 03:58 AM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

i used to have a laptop hd in a box with a home-made adaptor.... but i can't find it. i think it got lost when i moved. i may check fry's out on sunday.. not going anywhere today, don't want to deal with the hoardes

Wal-mart...500gb external hard drive (seagate) usb 2.0 $69 AND the best part, AVAILABLE ONLINE! (or was).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Wal-mart...500gb external hard drive (seagate) usb 2.0 $69 AND the best part, AVAILABLE ONLINE! (or was).
    +1 for an external USB drive. That's what I use at home and it came with software to run scheduled unattended backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Out of stock
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Talking

I think I may end up with 3 ... Wal-mart.com was having issues - my paypal has 3 pending charges for it and I have 2 wal-mart confirmation emails. The Wal-mart sight kept giving me error messages when I tried to check out so tried it a couple times. Estimated arrival is by the end of next week...guess I'll know then if I have to battle with Paypal to get my $$ back if Wal-mart doesn't send the goods....or try and sell the extra(s). I wanted 2, but may end up with 3...

Staples had a WD 760 GB USB HD for the same price but it was USB 1.1.

I'm tired of burning DVD's to backup my computers HD...and it's full.

When you rebuild it partition the drive or add an additional drive. Next time you need to format the the OS partition it will not impact your data partition.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    When you rebuild it partition the drive or add an additional drive. Next time you need to format the the OS partition it will not impact your data partition.
    i will. that was why i had the home-built externall HD.... but i can't find it. i'll turf out the office at work if i get a chance.