Thread: New STR Class

Default New STR Class

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hollis on the Pointy Board
    Figured it would be best to start a fresh thread on this for discussion of the actual proposal.

See latest FastTrack for the announcement: STR

Here's the details:

The STAC and SEB are seeking input regarding a potential new ST class, tentatively named STR, which would encompass higher-powered 2-seat roadsters and perhaps typically having limited-slip differentials. Cars such as the S2000, MR2- Spyder, Z3, and later MX-5 would be considered for the class. The maximum tire size would be 245. Input is also requested as to the desirability of allowing aftermarket versus only standard limited-slip differentials in this class.

Discuss.

--Andy
    Looks like this could be a fun class for later Miatas.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I was planning on putting in a Kazz LSD when I get mine so it would be nice if they allowed aftermarket LSD's. I wish I could afford a new Miata, even though they look a bit too happy

Great class idea, about five years too late, imho. Better yet, reorganize the ST classing structure to get rid of the silly 2-door/4-door differentiation and structure it like Stock, Street Prepared, Prepared, Modified, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmpace View Post
    I was planning on putting in a Kazz LSD when I get mine so it would be nice if they allowed aftermarket LSD's. I wish I could afford a new Miata, even though they look a bit too happy
    Why bother? Just find one with a Torsen and save your money.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Great class idea, about five years too late, imho. Better yet, reorganize the ST classing structure to get rid of the silly 2-door/4-door differentiation and structure it like Stock, Street Prepared, Prepared, Modified, etc.

Why bother? Just find one with a Torsen and save your money.

Because I plan on drifting with it.

Umm... ok.

BTW, I'll say the same thing here that I said on the pointy board about STR:

The truth is, while adding STR now makes sense on one level (none of these cars have a place to play right now in ST), on another level it will just add that many more people with a vested interest in a bad classing structure who stand to be disenfranchised when the inevitable - and common-sense - performance-based classing structure realignment finally happens in ST.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I wonder if suicide doors will be legal in STR? I found a car I am thinking about buying...

Actually, I would love to see this class. The only real problem with the NC is the springs and this would fix that.

Driver

I'm kind of leaning to the ST (well at least STU) is broke and needs fixing. Don't get me wrong, I *really* miss just driving up and running (oh how I miss it), but honestly there is too much leeway to cheat (boost, clutches, suspension changes, etc.) and not enough ways to police it.

Plus ST* tires are darn near cheater almost r-comps. I just swapped to NT-05's from Star Specs. The Star Specs in the same nominal size were easily 1/2 an inch wider than the NT-05's.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    but honestly there is too much leeway to cheat (boost, clutches, suspension changes, etc.) and not enough ways to police it.
    To which class would that not apply?

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    To which class would that not apply?
    XP

I'm kind of leaning to the ST (well at least STU) is broke and needs fixing. Don't get me wrong, I *really* miss just driving up and running (oh how I miss it), but honestly there is too much leeway to cheat (boost, clutches, suspension changes, etc.) and not enough ways to police it.

Plus ST* tires are darn near cheater almost r-comps. I just swapped to NT-05's from Star Specs. The Star Specs in the same nominal size were easily 1/2 an inch wider than the NT-05's.

I think that is the price we have to pay for not having to disassemble the car after each event.

I think the new class will be good, about time.

Driver

What class would these cars likely fall in now (if at all)? STS?

Is there some sort of "balance of power" thing at play here? (like the AS/BS/CS shuffling that's been talked about).

Sorry to go off topic, how are you liking the NT-05 compares to the Star specs?
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, how are you liking the NT-05 compares to the Star specs?
    Just put them on yesterday and DW has the Evo today. I'll be running them at the NTAXS and ER event this weekend to try them out.

David has them on his vette and likes them a lot.

Interesting. Grassroots tried a set on their project WRX in the latest issue, and the car ended up going slower initially with the NT05s than it did on the OEM RE-92s.
    Iain

Driver

They pawned it off on the tire being full tread vs. "slicks" on the OEM tires.

Note also that adding a front sway also had less grip than using the OEM sway in the same test.

We're way OT

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Interesting. Grassroots tried a set on their project WRX in the latest issue, and the car ended up going slower initially with the NT05s than it did on the OEM RE-92s.
    Contrary information:
    NT05 vs. Star Spec
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I wonder if suicide doors will be legal in STR? I found a car I am thinking about buying...
    You saw that car, too?

:vomitatorium:
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).